Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Rolex Day/Date - a cheapie from Lawrence

greg_r

I've only just realised that I forgot to repost this one from the old board, so here goes.

Some years ago when I first started collecting reps, a Rollie Day/Date was the first watch I bought - and the only one I have left from that time, the others having been sold. At its time it was an above-average rep, but is looking a tad inaccurate by today's standards - it is also in need of a service, which is probably not worth the expense given its limitations. It has served me well, being my daily watch for the last several years, so it really doesn't owe me a thing. I therefore relegated it to the spares box and went looking for a replacement.

I had originally intended to buy a more expensive rep (I paid about 4 times the price for the original one I had), but I tend to prefer larger watches these days (40mm and up) and figured that the Day/Date probably wouldn't get that much wrist time for that reason. The other factor is that I wanted a SS model, which doesn't exist in real life - I therefore figured that it wasn't worth spending top dollar for a 'fantasy' watch. This is what I ended up with - a SS Day/Date with silver dial for the princely sum of $55 from Lawrence.

It's powered by the inevitable 21J and certainly looks the part. The digit spacing on the date wheel is a little off in a couple of instances (the most obvious being 11, which is a little too widely spaced), but otherwise it looks pretty convincing. The bracelet was a little sharp on the edges and was also in need of lubrication, but that was easily rectified and it's now very comfortable. Timekeeping is excellent and power reserve is something in the region of 35 hours. I still wear it quite frequently and am planning to replace it with one of the new 41mm Day/Date II models fairly shortly - I'll probably keep this one for a 'beater', though.

Overall - like Lawrence's other cheap Rollies - this is ridiculously good for $55 (including free shipping - which took just under 2 weeks to the UK). In summary, if you want a dirt cheap Rollie to use as a daily beater, go visit Lawrence - he's a great dealer and these watches are just ridiculously good value.

RSSDD01.jpg

RSSDD02.jpg

RSSDD04.jpg

oscarmadfish

great bargain greg :lol:

Massimo

That looks like a stunning bargain. I do fancy a dirt cheap Rollie, so I might just pay that website a visit! :band:

iabounty

Hmmm...... I just may have to see if Lawrence will sell a DD or a DJ to a guy in Iowa........ Nice price and "free shipping" you say???? :band:

greg_r
Hmmm...... I just may have to see if Lawrence will sell a DD or a DJ to a guy in Iowa........ Nice price and "free shipping" you say???? :band:

He's got a wide selection at that price - subs too. Shipping is via registered airmail (so no tracking number) - reliably 2 weeks to the UK. You can pay the extra for EMS, but I really don't think it's worth it. By the way, one warning - the backs on these cheapies often have incorrect engravings. Doesn't bother me, but might bother others.

bene3

a great watch for a great price.

Im gonna order couple of datejusts from him, for the price the rolexes are great

Edited by bene3

P_Diddy

are these still available on HOS website? :bottle:

a great watch for a great price.

Im gonna order couple of datejusts from him, for the price the rolexes are great

P_Diddy

double post edited * incase AT has another hissy fit*

Edited by P_Diddy

greg_r
are these still available on HOS website? :bottle:

No idea. Have you looked?

P_Diddy

yes and the link is not available

Edited by P_Diddy

greg_r

hmm - I'd suggest you drop him an email in that case. Might be a website glitch or just a temporary lack of availability. It's a year since I bought that watch, so I dunno what the current supply situation is like.

JoeyB
hmm - I'd suggest you drop him an email in that case. Might be a website glitch or just a temporary lack of availability. It's a year since I bought that watch, so I dunno what the current supply situation is like.

I don't find any $55 specials at all on his site. Are they listed somewhere special?

greg_r

I don't find any $55 specials at all on his site. Are they listed somewhere special?

Looks like either the links are broken or that he doesn't have 'em at the moment. Would be a shame if so - they were great value. Might be worth dropping him an email - maybe it's just a temporary thing...

pinkdolphin

Looks like either the links are broken or that he doesn't have 'em at the moment. Would be a shame if so - they were great value. Might be worth dropping him an email - maybe it's just a temporary thing...

I emailed him a few days ago to ask about the broken links. He said he's in the process of updating the site....

Luthier

I bought the same DD from Lawrence about a year ago, and it was on my wrist quite often, until I got oversized DD from Mary.

Great watch for $55, and Lawrence is a pleasure to deal with.