Sign in to follow this  
elmerlo

Carrera day-date black quartz

elmerlo

Hi guys, so, my third Carrera arrived today. :)

Very pleased with it: I chose quartz for practical reasons, and this gives me the opportunity to make a comparison with the Gen (only via photos, of course).

A couple of pics of the Gen from the official site:

carrera-day-date_black_zps65386fd5.jpg

Schermata2013-03-11alle141227_zps7eb90091.png

Now, the rep:

DSC02334_zps2705756e.jpg

Note the bold "Quartz" red writing instead of Automatic! LOL

To me, the detail level is very high, consider that we are talking about a very cheap rep:

DSC02335_zpsf971eb83.jpg

Another one:

DSC02333_zps8b8c03f6.jpg

The only flaw I can find on this is the "TAG Heuer" writing on the inside of the closing clasp: not centered vertically, but is really insignificant in the whole picture.

greg_r

Very nice indeed for a quartz cheapie! :thumbsup2:

Wriggles

Hmmm. Pushers are wrong. Sub-dials bit too close together (normal on a quartz). G arrow looks to be the same tell as on all Tag's. The caseback will be solid as it's quartz, gen is clear.

So more than one flaw, but all reps are flawed.

Still, looks like a lovely Day Date, which 99% of people wouldn't notice is different from the gen. We can be very anal about these things around here :giggle: And of course a very nice price.

Once it feels and looks good that's 98% of the fun.

Wear it well and enjoy it while it lasts, which is likely to be far longer than a lot of auto reps. I think I'll consider some more quartz in future! :lol:

elmerlo

Still, looks like a lovely Day Date, which 99% of people wouldn't notice is different from the gen. We can be very anal about these things around here :giggle:

LOL, right.

Anyway, to be honest, for a hundred of bucks, this is gold!

Of course, when I wanted the best, I bought the A7750 Link, that's 1:1, and the price reflects it: more than three times higher. With the same money, I had three Carreras :P

These cheapies, for me, have the same purpose of scale model cars: you can't have all the details :D

Still, I wouldn't think for a minute if I had to choose between this one and, let's say, a Swatch.

p.s.: I still have to find someone that can spot the "G" problem on the logo, without being so close that is licking your wrist... :P

court

p.s.: I still have to find someone that can spot the "G" problem on the logo, without being so close that is licking your wrist... :P

I think you'll find that this version doesn't have the 'G' problem anyway. Take another look.

Wriggles

Amen to that mate, like I said we're all just a little too anal about these things around here for our own good......which is why we spend far too much in pursuit of perfection and end up with empty bank accounts....but it sure is fun trying!

SSTEEL

Its certainly not bad for the money. Note the date wheel being deep too on the Quartz model.

I have the full chrono auto heading my way, which I will post photos when it arrives.

scavenger

Mate, loving your posts on quartz alternatives to the more expensive automatic reps! Keep em coming!!

Scav.

elmerlo

Mate, loving your posts on quartz alternatives to the more expensive automatic reps! Keep em coming!!

Scav.

Hi Scav!

This will be the last for a while: I completed my set of Carreras/Grand Carreras/Link. Now I have to sell the white Link quartz (girlfriend changed his mind, damn...) and I will buy another, black, not from Reg this time, want to try Silix, they are new to the Link quartz reps.

But it could take a while: I sent Michelle a broken bracelet to be repaired and I have to wait for it to be ready in order to proceed with my next credit card collapse :P

deef

How is the bracelet quality on this? I've been looking for a cheaper quartz chrono, looks like this one fits the bill.

black263

Have you spotted the biggest difference? The 6 and 9 sub-dials are transposed, compared with the Gen. Seems to be common with these watches. My Tag Link Calibre 16 is the same.

elmerlo

Hi Black,

Yes, that's indeed a big one, forgot to mention it. I also have the Links, both 7750 and quartz (reviewed), you are right, those quartz movements have that setup, while Tag has seconds @6

Harriskitty
Hmmm. Pushers are wrong. Sub-dials bit too close together (normal on a quartz). G arrow looks to be the same tell as on all Tag's. The caseback will be solid as it's quartz, gen is clear.

So more than one flaw, but all reps are flawed.

Still, looks like a lovely Day Date, which 99% of people wouldn't notice is different from the gen. We can be very anal about these things around here :giggle: And of course a very nice price.

Once it feels and looks good that's 98% of the fun.

Wear it well and enjoy it while it lasts, which is likely to be far longer than a lot of auto reps. I think I'll consider some more quartz in future! :lol:

^^^^^^. That ^^^^^^