Sign in to follow this  
yippykayay2121

When was the Rep game started?

yippykayay2121

Hi guys, just curious if anyone know when was this rep game started and how long has this forum been around now.

TyLoper

ever since............

jyEJnKp.jpg

APOLLO440

Since the year dot. And since it was.

Edited by APOLLO440

pollux1

Eddie Lee was but a twinkle in his old man's eye when the rep game was started.

greg_r

This forum has been here since 2008. We took over from a previous board that started 4 or 5 years previously.

Reps have been around pretty much forever.

Forum history lesson here (albeit with tongue firmly in cheek): http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=4298

trksh-bzr

yeah, rumor has it,

This forum has been here since 2008. We took over from a previous board that started 4 or 5 years previously.

Forum history lesson here (albeit with tongue firmly in cheek): http://www.rwg.bz/bo...?showtopic=4298

rumor has it that Pontius Pilate was wearing a rep Cartier santos quartz back in the day.....

Frankt8242

I bought my first rep in 1980....A Rolex gold Pres. and I paid $175.00 for it( about $800. in today's money!!!).....It had a russian 17 j movement, and was a total POS, still...some asshole stole it out of my desk drawer!!

I would have LOVED to have been a "fly on the wall" in the hock shop he tried to peddle it in!! :giggle: :giggle:

Edited by Frankt8242

greg_r

yeah, rumor has it,

Forum history lesson here (albeit with tongue firmly in cheek): http://www.rwg.bz/bo...?showtopic=4298

rumor has it that Pontius Pilate was wearing a rep Cartier santos quartz back in the day.....

Idiot. it was a Patek.. ;)

Having said that, as long as people have been making things for sale others have been making cheap knockoffs. Watches, jewellery, furniture, ceramics, whatever...

trksh-bzr

yeah, rumor has it,

Idiot. it was a Patek.. ;)

Having said that, as long as people have been making things for sale others have been making cheap knockoffs. Watches, jewellery, furniture, ceramics, whatever...

imagine tha face on the poor fukker that made the first flint arrow head back in the stone age, when his mate finished his copy of it the day after......

I bet the original guy thought he had invented the way to more food, and the way to infinate low braw BJ's.

Mystery Shopper

I don't know when reps first started but I think Offshore was there when it happened.

arancini

From my brief time over the years dabbling in reps, the quality has improved remarkably.

The first PAM 111 I bought in 2008 had the most hideous blue AR and non-existent lume.

These days the Noob V3 model comes with excellent AR and Superlume as standard.

Just waiting for the day that they waterproof them as well, but something tells me that may be a bridge too far.

Thang

Thanks for history lesson from the link :)

I was always wondering about multiple RWG names that I found. Now I know and I am happy to be here.

Anyway, my rep collection started in 2004 when I went back to Viet Nam for the second time in 14 years. I got myself 4 cheapos without knowing anything about watches. They are very nice watches, actually. Omega and Patek were among those 4. Both of them still running today :)

TAGster

Very interesting to know the history of this great board.

The game rep as far as I know it´s been out there for eons, I clearly remember I once bought a replica rolex presidential around 1990... now that I mention this, I realize that was my very first rep. :giggle:

watchman12345

Most of my reps have been waterproof from the factory... The build quality is really very good.

powderfreak

Most of my reps have been waterproof from the factory... The build quality is really very good.

Oh you don't say :facepalm:

What's wrong with that guy?

conx

This was the very 1st 1:1 Ultimate Swiss rep

CuckooWristClock.jpg

buddyslaw

From my brief time over the years dabbling in reps, the quality has improved remarkably.

The first PAM 111 I bought in 2008 had the most hideous blue AR and non-existent lume.

These days the Noob V3 model comes with excellent AR and Superlume as standard.

Just waiting for the day that they waterproof them as well, but something tells me that may be a bridge too far.

WR will be easy once spray on hydrophobic coatings become cheap enough.

Baldrick

It was started by TTK and EddieLee :lol:

offshore

I don't know when reps first started but I think Offshore was there when it happened.

I became involved about 14 years ago. My involvement dates back to the RCC bulletin board and TRC.

So, no, there are still a couple of current forum members that preceded me in the game.

Thomas at the other RWG is one, Baldrick is another.

Omni , here joined in the fun around the same time I did.

And a couple of other less frequent visitors also hail from those times.

Makes me feel almost ancient.

Been a fun ride thus far.

O/S

Indigo38

Reps started to be made in Roman Empire by "Easator The Ambassador" which is where we get the acronym "ETA" today - In fact, gens came from reps much like we came from the apes

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

NFleischer

38eca7b3-4cc2-4153-951a-959ecb2d18a9_zpsa090f798.jpg

I'm not sure when they started but I'm sure there have been Rolex reps around for at least 25 years.

I got this one in 1995 or so down in South America.

Baldrick
Been a fun ride thus far.

Hasn't it just O/S :D

simonbolivar

I'm not sure when they started but I'm sure there have been Rolex reps around for at least 25 years.

I got this one in 1995 or so down in South America.

I am feeling ancient... I bought my first rep Rolex in '81 or '82 in Chinatown (NY). It was a TT President with quartz movement. Also had a Sub that was just awful. My guess is that they started with rep Rolexes in the 1970's after Nixon helped develop trade relations between US and China.

sishac

When I was in 8th grade, in 1983, my sister bought me a TT date just....quartz, and super light...with a new battery I'm sure it would start tucking again!! I wore it from to e to time into my 20s...

BigBuys

I bought my first rep in 1980....A Rolex gold Pres. and I paid $175.00 for it( about $800. in today's money!!!).....It had a russian 17 j movement, and was a total POS, still...some asshole stole it out of my desk drawer!!

I would have LOVED to have been a "fly on the wall" in the hock shop he tried to peddle it in!! :giggle: :giggle:

This was the period that I first started seeing "fakes" as they were know as in the day. They would "fake" you off at about 15 feet but any closer and there were hideous tells. My first REP, and the time that I believe that they were transitioning from fakes to replicas, was the 1999-2000 time period. On the wrist and observed from three feet away it was hard to tell unless you already knew the tell points. Off the wrist there were still some glaring tells, especially the case backs.

I therefore proclaim the new millenium as the REP Millenium!..... :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: