Sign in to follow this  
ticktickboom

TC LV Gen insert

ticktickboom

TC 16610 LV, V series type II with V3 Bracelet V2 clasp combi, shaved rehaut and Gen LV insert.

Just wanted to write a quick review to explain how my insert assembly went.

First of all let me say the Gen insert is 100% legit, I don't know how much the pointy 4 version vary if at all but its an older series from the Rolex wax paper send.

Had a real battle with this piece, both the watch and Gen insert arrived yesterday and after several attempts I decided I didn't have the tools or knowhow to get the job finished. I attempted to tackle the insert myself and it wouldn't go, I tried each method of installing the insert directly into the bezel but the last bit would't budge by hand. I then followed the tutorial guide on http://www.vikbobil.se/bezel.html which led me to believe the insert did actually need shaving. I gently shaved the outside of the insert a couple of revolutions trying again to fit it each time into the bezel....eventually it went, I sanded maybe 3 times before it snapped in. (I still had to use the trick against the side of the table to get the last bit in.) So the insert is in the bezel, now I try to fit it in the watch....nope. It seemed to small around the crystal for the inner piece now, whatever I did it just didn't wanna pop in. So again I'm with the sand paper very gently shaving the inner part, I only took a small amount off before it popped in, GREAT. I try and turn the bezel and realise now it was so tight to the crystal it wouldn't turn nicely. It did turn but you could feel it gripping the side of the crystal.

Now I try and pop the bezel off again to take one last shave of the inside off and what happens....it takes the crystal with it. Now i'm in trouble. I'm pretty green when it comes to watch assembly anyway but I try to get it all back on and the seal kept coming out and it seemed such a tight squeeze I realised I just didn't have the balls to continue.

DSC01184.JPG

So I sand the inside of the insert one last time and take it to my local watchsmith who used to work for Omega repairs to have a look.Together we must have spent at least 2 hours getting the crystal, retaining ring and bezel back onto the case. It might have been a quicker job had she had the right presses in the shop but we got there.

I wanted to post this quick review as I know there are alot of people out there who are potentially going to go for a type II build to host a Gen insert and wanted to let them know the trouble that might entail. especially if you have little prior knowledge to watch building or tools it might be better off sending the pieces to someone on the boards to do the job for you.

Anyway after much hard work and deliberation here is the wristshot.

DSC01187.JPG

gB.

Congrats. Looks good after all that hard work.

sgtguk

Well done mate, some things are sent to try us !

SSTEEL

Thanks for sharing your experiences on this matter, as TC states the following on his blog about this LV Type II

All you need to do is to slap a gen black or green insert on the bezel assembly and you're all good.

Which as you found out is anything but just slapping the gen insert in.

Have you been in touch with TC about your problems with getting your green gen insert to fit? If so, what did he say?

Edited by SSTEEL

solkryssare

Man, that sounds like quite the battle. I'm glad it worked out in the end :)

ticktickboom

Thanks for sharing your experiences on this matter, as TC states the following on his blog about this LV Type II

All you need to do is to slap a gen black or green insert on the bezel assembly and you're all good.

Which as you found out is anything but just slapping the gen insert in.

Have you been in touch with TC about your problems with getting your green gen insert to fit? If so, what did he say?

Yes before I tackled the install I realised I might be in for a fight going by other members reviews. He recommended using a press similar to in his blog http://blog.tc-sub.com/2012/10/tc-bezel-assembly-bump-in-road-and.html which made sense but I had no such tools so proceeded with the tutorial on the vikbobil site. I think it would have really helped having a professional press like in TC's blog. The watchsmith actually used a similar looking clamp to secure the case for working on, I realise now my computer desk and swiss army knife was ambitious.

What I do want to say is although I had what seemed alot of trouble with the Gen insert install, there are people out there who did have their Gen insert snap right in like advertised. Which leads me to believe there is either intolerances with either the inserts, the crystals or the bezels. It is likely all of the above. I can't see why the insert would change from year to year though, the design certainly has but you would think the shape would be replicated exactly.

The TC Sub is really nice though, even the watchsmith was impressed by it saying she hadn't seen one as nice and had apparently worked on many gens and reps in her time.

Solkry did you use a Gen insert for yours or were you lucky enough to get the type I build with TC LV insert?

SSTEEL

Thanks for explaining that, I wonder if anyone has the dimension readings of the tolerances of the inner, and outer of the gen bezel inserts from a digital calliper?

ticktickboom

FWIW I just realised from reading TCs blog again that the insert probably wasn't jamming on the crystal but the retaining ring, this ties in with advise I was given by Wiz. Seems some of the retaining rings on the type II are badly sized.