Sign in to follow this  
Jameslowe1

Patek Philippe 5053 Calatrava - Photos (BIG)

Jameslowe1

I'm tired. Here are just a couple shots of my 'custom build'. Hope you like!

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Neon

Classic looking!

rsu

Great. Only the date wheel looks a bit unaligned.

_DC_

This looks good, have you transplanted an SW200 into it I'm assuming?! The main thing that bugs me about classic patek reps is they never seem to get the size right, always too large. This ref should be 36mm, how does your rep compare?

DC

Jameslowe1
Great. Only the date wheel looks a bit unaligned.

You're right, I should have mentioned this still isn't finished yet, having a couple of dramas with the date wheel however I've found a way around. Engraving still to come!

This looks good, have you transplanted an SW200 into it I'm assuming?! The main thing that bugs me about classic patek reps is they never seem to get the size right, always too large. This ref should be 36mm, how does your rep compare?

DC

You'll be pleased to know this is 37!

And no, unfortunately I wasn't able to get my hands on this movement. Well, I could, however the lowest price was $248! (With patek rotor). In the end I bought just the rotor and attaches it to a seagull ST2130 (a clone of the eta2824/sw200). Overall it was quite a bit of money just to have a pretty movement... And like I mentioned a minute ago, I'm planning to get the movement engraved with the correct script as the gen (though obviously in different places). Also it won't have any Patek Philippe coppyright refs as I can't find an engraver to do this.

_DC_

37? That's pretty good going, sorry to ask a million questions, actually I only have two, where did you find the base watch as I don't thi k I've seen it, maybe Perfect Clones?!? Ad also, where did you source a gen style rotor, wouldn't have the first clue where to start looking for one of those, especially as they don't make them like that anymore!!

DC

Jameslowe1

37? That's pretty good going, sorry to ask a million questions, actually I only have two, where did you find the base watch as I don't thi k I've seen it, maybe Perfect Clones?!? Ad also, where did you source a gen style rotor, wouldn't have the first clue where to start looking for one of those, especially as they don't make them like that anymore!!

Yep, perfect clones is where i first saw it. http://www.1-pc8838.com/pp10051-calastrava-5053-white-dial-swiss-28242-p-573.html (open twice to see it)

i then got in touch with rochest at WI to source everything except the movement (Case, crown, dial, hands, buckle, strap). $145 for that. For some reason there is a horrible Calatrava cross on the back, painted on, so you have to carefully use a knife to remove that. Paint thinner doesn't work, but it's sapphire so not the easiest thing to scratch. + Rep strap is horrible. I'm looking for a used gen PP croc strap at reasonable price. (dimensions 18/16)

Rotor was also from Rochest. movement was too much so i was lucky enough to just have the rotor off it. $50. I don't think this will be possible again though as it caused him quite a bit of heartache. To be honest, i'm sure you could make one yourself and get it GP (yes it would take LOTS of time, but you could get it looking better than the rep version).

On just a side note, i'm planning to turn the hands slateblack as per the Gen - http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=29191

_DC_

I was just about to say te hands are deffo the next job, they could do with being filed down to be a little thinner too!! But other than that I gotta say I'm impressed. I don't have any technical know how when it comes to watches, otherwise I'd totally do this with a similar watch. The 5053 isn't one of my favourites I have to say. My holy grail would be to get a decent rep of a 2499, with a lemania movement, but none of the versions I've seen are even close enough to use as a base model. They're always about 42-45mm which is massive for a Patek, the gen is about 37-38mm!

DC

Jameslowe1

I was just about to say te hands are deffo the next job, they could do with being filed down to be a little thinner too!! But other than that I gotta say I'm impressed. I don't have any technical know how when it comes to watches, otherwise I'd totally do this with a similar watch. The 5053 isn't one of my favourites I have to say. My holy grail would be to get a decent rep of a 2499, with a lemania movement, but none of the versions I've seen are even close enough to use as a base model. They're always about 42-45mm which is massive for a Patek, the gen is about 37-38mm!

I must admit, i didn't notice the thickness of the hands. Damn you sir, I'll add that to the list. I have no technical no how either.Just need time to work out orders to do things, turns out i wasn't best at this.

The 2499 is a beautiful watch. But you're right, no descent base model at all. i would love to have a go decorating a lemania movement, though maybe with an Omega Speedmaster.

fana05

It never even crossed my mind to try and source the custom rotor by itself as a part :picard: this looks great! Definitely keep us updated. I'd love to see the movement after engraving

_DC_
It never even crossed my mind to try and source the custom rotor by itself as a part :picard: this looks great! Definitely keep us updated. I'd love to see the movement after engraving

Haha, that makes two of us, but from speaking to James it sounds like it was a serious headache and not something that is easy to do, so maybe we're not too daft after all!!

I am getting more and more into the vintage Pateks though, I've been going through a Nautilus phase as you well know, which I'm still in at the moment with the addition of the Nautilus Chronograph, but the more time I spend on hodinkee looking at the vintage Pateks the more I feel I need to own one. Not to put on my wrist that often, but just to have in a nice box and peek at from time to time, then wear for special occasions:)

DC

fana05

I had a vintage Patek phase for most of last week. Today I bought a Pam243 so I think I'm down with a Panerai phase again :D

Jameslowe1

Just a quick shot to show you how good this movement look. I know it's nothing like any gen, obviously, but i'm just doing this for myself. Just planing what text will be put on and on what bridges. Not very extiting, but i will post up some of my notes in due course!

bd445ca8-22e8-44ed-89a4-78d6bb647136.jpg

_DC_

Have you looked into the possibility of adding extra "faux" bridges?! One of the things that really stands out to me on gen movements is how little empty space or voids there are, wondered if it would be possible to add extra material without blocking the rotor, then add your engraving to that?!?

Am I making sense?!?

DC

_DC_

See what I mean?!

62B6655B-9BDA-4E07-8673-FEED0EB3F80A-2764-0000035EE452B1FD_zpsf6c035e5.jpg

DC

Jameslowe1

Have you looked into the possibility of adding extra "faux" bridges?! One of the things that really stands out to me on gen movements is how little empty space or voids there are, wondered if it would be possible to add extra material without blocking the rotor, then add your engraving to that?!?

Am I making sense?!?

DC

I think i understand, however there is unfortunately no space between the rotor and the existing bridges. It is a possible (thought tricky) idea, but would have to be for another movement. Remember that link i sent you?have a look at the movements. I really want to do that with a lumina chrono movement, would look amazing.

Edit: I thought that is what you meant, however the space issue still stands :/

Edited by Jameslowe1

fetasigma

for a band i would talk to serge, he did the band for my gen omega tressor with the same dimensions with baby croc and i am sure he could do something that would look great, just make sure you have buckle that you can use to make it look gen

here are some pics

FD190BF2-169F-454D-81AD-3122CEAD5235-709-00000031CBFAA89F_zps2b5bf7eb.jpg

165FF88F-1250-48E9-A24C-CFAD194ED825-709-00000031BB335D8E_zps400ef0e2.jpg

fetasigma

lets try this again pics below

gB.

Nice!

fetasigma

that watch was my grandfathers and i had it compleatly redone and renewed except for the face, love that patina. 18k case on that one ;)

_DC_

I'm just looking at my SW200 and I still think there's space......

Forgive my crudely drawn arrows, lol;

E15D29FE-7E93-421C-9172-D463B8C3F555-2890-0000036B1650719D_zps756dcb27.jpg

DC

fetasigma

looks like a space but the tolerances would be crazy small

_DC_
looks like a space but the tolerances would be crazy small

Haha, yeah I know, I'm trying to encourage him to give it a go though coz it would look awesome :P

DC

fetasigma

I agree it would make the watch almost spot on

nhegde

Hi, I know it has been a while any update. I really like the watch but the movement window is a let down. Please let us know where you ended up DC. Thanks You.