Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Rolex GMT-II TT

greg_r

This was an impulse buy shortly before Christmas, and arrived yesterday. I hadn't bought a watch in at least a month and my palms were beginning to sweat :groucho:

I'd been tempted to buy a Rollie GMT for some time, but never seemed to get around to it - there was always something else I wanted more. Given that my plans were to buy a couple of more expensive reps over the coming month or two, I decided a 'cheapie fix' was in order.

Jiuli9 is one of my favourite dealers for cheapies - operating from a CQout shopfront at: http://www.cqout.com/list.asp?seller=jiuli9

I've bought quite a few watches from them over the last 6-9 months and have generally been very happy - all have been exactly as they should be. Shipping is via registered airmail and generally takes 2 weeks to the UK.

I paid the princely sum of £33 for this Rollie (+ £8 shipping) , deciding to go for the two-tone version rather than my usual stainless steel, simply because I felt like a change. The movement is the expected 21J and the fit and finish is generally very good - especially given the price.

The bezel has a surprisingly positive action and feels nice and solid - surprising for such a cheap watch. The font used on the bezel isn't quite right, though - although I doubt anyone but a WIS would actually notice unless handling the watch and comparing to a photo of the gen. The bracelet's pretty good too, although the clasp is flimsy by comparison with the one on my DeepSea. Time will tell on how well the gold plating will last, but I'm not planning to wear this to work very often, so it shouldn't get excessive wear.

Overall, it was a very good buy. It's not as good a rep as my Deep Sea 'lite', but still surprisingly good given the ridiculously low price.

Apologies for the quality of the photos - the light is really lousy here today, so they're a bit grainy and colour fidelity ain't quite what it might be...

rolgmt2_1.jpg

rolgmt2_2.jpg

rolgmt2_b.jpg

rolgmt2_w.jpg

SliceMaster

Nice one there Greg

I´m thinking of getting this one with the ceramic style bezel and in two-tone aswell...hmmmm might do that soon

Anyway enjoy your watch and wear it well

greg_r
Nice one there Greg

I´m thinking of getting this one with the ceramic style bezel and in two-tone aswell...hmmmm might do that soon

Anyway enjoy your watch and wear it well

oscarmadfish

oscar likes :groucho: great bargain greg is it 28,800 sweep ?

greg_r
oscar likes :rofl: great bargain greg is it 28,800 sweep ?

At this price? :groucho:

Nope - it's a standard 21,600 21j mvt like most cheapies.

oscarmadfish

the sweep is the most important thing for me on a rolex but great bargain greg it will fool most but not all

AllergyDoc

All the cheapo GMT's come with Sub bracelets. I got one from Lawrence but once RolexAddict told me the bracelet was for a Sub I sold it. Plus Lawrence sent one with the wrong bezel insert. He offered to replace it but he couldn't get a GMT bracelet so I thought, why bother?

bene3

Watch looks good.

Edited by bene3

Massimo

You certainly have an eye for a bargain, Greg, and the bracelet and 21k sweep wouldn't bother me at that price.

greg_r
the sweep is the most important thing for me on a rolex but great bargain greg it will fool most but not all

Not sure I understand the difference between a Rollie rep running at 21,600 and a TAG or Breitling at the same bph. Whichever the watch it's incorrect. TBH, it's not that easy to tell the difference between 21,600 and 28,800. I can, but not from a distance, so if I'm not going to worry about it for a TAG, I'm not going to worry about it for a Rollie either.

alphakazi

very true greg - the difference is almost undetectable and that's when you are specifically looking for it - the 21,600 is slightly more coarse - few people will stare at your watch long enough in public to spot that - I'd be more concerned with the incorrect bracelet.

greg_r
very true greg - the difference is almost undetectable and that's when you are specifically looking for it - the 21,600 is slightly more coarse - few people will stare at your watch long enough in public to spot that - I'd be more concerned with the incorrect bracelet.

Again, I doubt that anyone but a WIS would notice the difference in the wild. If it was a $200 + rep, I'd care, but at that price it'll do just fine =]