Sign in to follow this  
Podges

What kind of person buys a Rep ?!?!?!

Podges

My wife asked me this the other day, and I thought it was a great question!.. "What kind of person buys a replica? Is it because they want something they cannot usually afford?"... I do not believe that is the case. I had bought a watch that will end up costing me close to $500 by the time its all said and done for a watch that would have been $8,000 if it was real. Now, could I afford an $8,000 watch? Probably... But why spend that kind of money?!?!... Why did I buy a rep then?.. I really don't have a single clear answer. Do I want to bullshit people into thinking I really bought a Rolex, well... yes... If someone were to ask me if it's fake, would I tell them the truth?... depends on who it is :) .....Do I want an extremely nice watch?.. of course.!!!. Do I like the challenge of buying something that is forbidden?,.. well, yeah.... I have a decent career, and even a more successful "hobby".. so I'm not a broke dumbass who likes to wear "bling" to be impressive for whatever reason... I just don't have a clear, definitive answer.. So, I'm hoping in posing this question, I could learn what drives a person to a great rep. and not the real thing.

jacobarch

Who cares?

Do what makes you happy. If you want to go out and spend 8g's on a watch be my guest. A lot of people are just as happy spending $300 on a watch that does the exact same thing.

Edit: I've bought 3 gens because of reps btw.

and...... :popcorn:

Olly

Why not ?

AS90

Ask Archie Luxury!

jC39

Very thought provoking question...I think you covered the answers throughly. I have a great job and have money to buy a nice gen and have bought a few in my day. BUT, I would never spend money on one of each Rolex, A Lange Sohne, Audemars Piguet, Tag, Omega, Pam, PP, Cartier etc etc etc...I can do that with a Reps! I can choose to wear a very cool watch that goes perfectly with any attire or situation I find myself in. I don't try to "trick" anyone but if they say, "Hey nice watch." I just respond with, "Thank you."

James.

Not this again :facepalm: search, there about two dozen threads on this subject already. This topic comes up monthly and has been exhausted.

diplosa

:popcorn:

diplosa
Not this again :facepalm: search, there about two dozen threads on this subject already. This topic comes up monthly and has been exhausted.

Well, maybe we should refresh the "this one time, I walked into an AD with the rep on", or the "what do you say when called out".... all unique and highly probably situation, don't you think?

:)

Rolexwatchman

This is not gonna be last...

Podges

I apologize for that!!.. I should have thought about this before I posted !!.. My other 'hobby', it bugs me to hear the same shit over and over again on forums.. Seriously, I'm sorry!

jeffw69

What kind of person buys a rep?

Someone who likes watches.

/END

baxter

shallow and duplicitous people such as my good self :D

James.

125 posts to go, Jeff....

APOLLO440

My wife asked me this the other day, and I thought it was a great question!.. "What kind of person buys a replica? Is it because they want something they cannot usually afford?"... I do not believe that is the case. I had bought a watch that will end up costing me close to $500 by the time its all said and done for a watch that would have been $8,000 if it was real. Now, could I afford an $8,000 watch? Probably... But why spend that kind of money?!?!... Why did I buy a rep then?.. I really don't have a single clear answer. Do I want to bullshit people into thinking I really bought a Rolex, well... yes... If someone were to ask me if it's fake, would I tell them the truth?... depends on who it is :) .....Do I want an extremely nice watch?.. of course.!!!. Do I like the challenge of buying something that is forbidden?,.. well, yeah.... I have a decent career, and even a more successful "hobby".. so I'm not a broke dumbass who likes to wear "bling" to be impressive for whatever reason... I just don't have a clear, definitive answer.. So, I'm hoping in posing this question, I could learn what drives a person to a great rep. and not the real thing.

Looking for information for a dissertation?.

Turbo350z

I have thought about this many times myself. No one will understand this hobby that doesn't partake In it. Most people see it as just buying "fake watches". Right now I am in the process of building a submariner that I know will never be 100% accurate..But I get enjoyment in the amount of time and research that goes into sourcing the bezel or whatever the part might be.

jeffw69
125 posts to go, Jeff....

:iamin:

Postwhore of the Year?

dingle

Interesting thread :)

TAGster

Why?? just because, that´s why.

Jetpants

The same kind of people who download media from the internet instead of buying it ;)

DeLaForce

Sukkas!

johnl

The same kind of people who download media from the internet instead of buying it ;)

So true!!

HeavyKrush

Criminal wannabe's!

GF1
Very thought provoking question...I think you covered the answers throughly. I have a great job and have money to buy a nice gen and have bought a few in my day. BUT, I would never spend money on one of each Rolex, A Lange Sohne, Audemars Piguet, Tag, Omega, Pam, PP, Cartier etc etc etc...I can do that with a Reps! I can choose to wear a very cool watch that goes perfectly with any attire or situation I find myself in. I don't try to "trick" anyone but if they say, "Hey nice watch." I just respond with, "Thank you."

I'm with jC39.

rhouston8080

This is my first post so go easy on me. I like rep watches because I can afford them. My sister is very "not rich" and I would not be able to sit and enjoy a $8k gen while she is worried about money for Christmas gifts. That being said, I also think that most "luxury" watches can be far MORE attractive than EVERY Kardashian or any other idiot "pop culture icon" that plenty of people worship, or dream of being like, all day long. If only just to look at them in a case in my home, in that minutet, I can find myself more entertained than in an hour on TV or 2 hours of a movie (except Bond of course). They are tiny little peices of perfect art to me. There is only 1 "Mona Lisa", but how many homes have a rep of it on the wall? Does anyone actually think it to be the "real" one? Hell no! If you have a "copy" of Van Gogh's Starry Night, you have "great taste", but if you have a rep Montblanc you're a "wannabe"?!?!?! It's art and beauty and I WANT TO HOLD IT!!! That is why I buy them.

Visioneer

I have a couple rep Van Gogh's and we enjoy them and I don't feel like a poser at all. We get many compliments on them. Also have a few rep watches and enjoy them and get way more utiles and compliments about them..