Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

HOW TO PAY VIA WESTERN UNION (WU)

Flave

WU asks a lot of questions because of the volume of scammers who use their services. Minimum wage clerks often make it their mission to behave like PI's. If you go in with an all-business attitude, fill out the paperwork and fork over the money without making small talk, they leave you alone. Don't walk in like you don't know what you're doing.

If you would rather avoid the social interaction, go online and use your CC. As has been mentioned, the fees are higher (at least in the US) & some CC companies charge you the cash-advance APR, so be careful about that.

sunnylife

Is this the most recommended way of payment???

juantxy

Thank you for the advise :)

ritama

I just see many new arrival watches here .woo ,It's cool .

stevok2305

I just see many new arrival watches here .woo ,It's cool . w

bugger%20off.gifbugger%20off.gif

Ddeeffiinnee

In India, there are restrictions... Not possible to transfer funds outside India using WU or Moneygram.

I checked online on WU site, it appeared as though it was possible...until I visited a local WU agent.

I was told only inward / receiving was possible.. I cannot send or transfer..

With that I had to cancel two deals from different TDs and they don't have PayPal (anymore).

I have to now look for TDs who accept cc or pp.... My first buy is still to materialize..

TXTPRT

As for all the information required in filling out the form, most of it is your own personal information (name, address, phone number). The only information required on the payee is first and last name and address. If the dealer gives me the name of the city and a zip number I will write it on the form, but all that is really needed is the country, because once you send the MTCN tracking number to the dealer, he can go to any location in China with that number and get his cash.

niff

Hey guys!

I just ordered my first two watches from Michelle and seeing as it is my first buy, she wants me to pay by WU. No problemo - so good so far. However, I do not really know how to proceed with the cash payment. I have understood that online payment is a no go. However, how does it work practically when I get to the WU dealer?

I live in Sweden and want to send USD to China. I have the opportunity of sending "Money in minutes" or "Direct to Bank".

ONLINE - the Money in Minutes seem to cost freaking 50 USD whereas the Direct to Bank only cost 4 USD. Judging from the information I got from Michelle it seems like the only option is to go with the Money in Minutes opt.

What should I do? Pay up and forget about it? Could I save some money by seeing a local dealer?

The whole deal seems to end up costing me almost 80 USD more than from the start ( Airmail + Paypal) --> (DHL + WU by Michelle's recommendation)

Am I a total newb? Just tell it to my face. My whiny face ........

black263

There should also be a next day option which is cheaper.

niff

There should also be a next day option which is cheaper.

Great to know! Appreciate the quick answer!

But what do I say if at a local WU? Moneygram to family member?

black263

I say that I would like to send money overseas. They give me the form, I fill it in without the amount, then tell them I would like the receiver to get $xxx. They tell me how much to give them to cover the transfer, including all costs. That's it. I've never been asked about relationship, why I'm sending, etc.

And WU isn't Moneygram. Two competing organisations.

eisbaer

I did a WU transfer not too long ago at a WU point nearby and they asked me for the transaction reason. The reason got registered. There is family assistance, friends and purchase to choose from if I remember correctly. Choosing the last option might bring you into trouble.

Edited by eisbaer

niff

Problem solved! It all went smooth. Thanks guys for the input.

However, I will from now only refer to WU as 'the expensive zit on my left buttock' in this forum. Probably the first and last time I ever use it. Btw who am I kidding..... I'd do anything for a beautiful rep. :Whistle:

CASassyDoc

Another Noob Question for you:

First of all, VERY helpful thread (no info too basic here!). Second, it has been recommended that, even when dealing with TD's, make sure to confirm exact item being purchased, etc. I placed an order with a TD (kingwatch), received my order number, and now we are corresponding about payment (which looks like it will be WU - OR, to niff's point - 'the expensive zit on niff's left buttock'). Since the information about payment is being sent and received via email (and I am not referring to specifics of the "item" in the emails), how then should one obtain confirmation of the exact item and all that good stuff?

Inquiring minds need to know so inquiring minds don't screw up a transaction!! Thx. :)

black263

You can be as specific as you want in the emails. You want a replica Panegalex model XXX as shown on the website url fakewatch.TD.com to the following specification, and the attached pictures. It's only when you come to the payment that you don't include the details in WU/PP/Bank transfer.

niff

Another Noob Question for you:

First of all, VERY helpful thread (no info too basic here!). Second, it has been recommended that, even when dealing with TD's, make sure to confirm exact item being purchased, etc. I placed an order with a TD (kingwatch), received my order number, and now we are corresponding about payment (which looks like it will be WU - OR, to niff's point - 'the expensive zit on niff's left buttock'). Since the information about payment is being sent and received via email (and I am not referring to specifics of the "item" in the emails), how then should one obtain confirmation of the exact item and all that good stuff?

Exactly as black263 put it, leave any info blank in the "expensive-zit"-payment.

As soon as you get your money transfer tracking number - you just give the number to your TD in order for him/her to be able to tell which payment is yours. My go to TD always confirms as soon as the funds has been transferred.

funkmaster

so i can use a CC at a WU office to send payment?

Banterbay
so i can use a CC at a WU office to send payment?

No, I don't think you can use credit card at a WU shop to make payment but you can use your CC on Western Union website. You will need to create account with them first, then register your cards. Be very careful, this hobby is addictive......go easy on them cards man.

karin2014

joesoap73

Very helpful thread for me Noob :(

yctwatch

Helpful thread. Noob here, used WU (in Singapore) for the first time today. Got a mini-lecture (by the friendly lady at the post office) on the dangers etc. etc. of sending money to a stranger in China, WU should not be used to buy stuff etc. Thought I wasn't ever going to complete the transaction, but then there appeared a hint of a wink and "So, just tell me you want to send money to XX, get it?"

I duly complied, "I want to send money to XX".

Done in a flash.

Mattcas

The point being made is that paying on line using CC's will often fail as WU is NOT for trade, its a way of cashing up l'ill Johnny backpacking the 3rd world on his gap year, or feeding the folks back in the 3rd world.

WU do not and cannot get embroiled in chargebacks etc, so a sniff of trade and its a nocando

Cash on the other hand is of course no problemo

But

Use Moneygram, cheaper and less info needed ;)

This is changing! I work in fraud and there are starting to be ways of working around chargebacks for WU.

Some how people are using their CC for WU. Its hard to do but it does happen.

bitfwtirmwo

Thanks Greg I will follow this method, I was always a little worried about using WU through a previous bad experience (not watch related) but seems everyone here uses it

drjeff

Great info - thanks for the post G

:cowboy:

mthiodet

So is there no risks when paying via WU? People always tell me to beware of WU..