Sign in to follow this  
taukappaepsilon

taukappaepsilon

I just ordered a 1680 from Ryan and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it. I think its the cartel version. Will the Clark t19 crystal fit in this without any additional mods? What do you all suggest I do for mods? I was thinking swap out the crystal, put in gen crown, and try to waterproof it. What do you all suggest?

IMG_3851_zps8f92aeb9.jpg

I hate how yellow the dial is but there isnt much I can do about that.

Arism

Not sure whether a new crystal will fit, but if it was me, I'd relume and swap the datewheel. Looks way too "silvery".

Depending what your budget is you could send it to Rolex Addict. He is the maestro of vintage Rolex builds/mods. Check out some of his work in his subforum.

RolexAddict's Watch Parlour

solkryssare

It Will not take a gen specs crystal without modification. A relume, better crown and softening of the case is as far as I would take it.

Amit

If course you mean Insert fade as well Solk.

taukappaepsilon

What does "soften the case" mean? I've been seeing that term everywhere.

J.Eric
What does "soften the case" mean? I've been seeing that term everywhere.

It means to give a used look. Not beaten up. Imagine how all the

Sharp edges on the case would feel like if you actually worn the

Watch for 35-40 years.

taukappaepsilon

So how do I soften the edges?

flyr

So how do I soften the edges?

A diamond file, then finer and finer grades of aluminum oxide paper and finish with cape cod.

BC1221

If that's Ryan/sora 1680, your biggest problem is the lug holes being waaaay too close to the edge. Other than that, it's not bad out of the box. Shave the crown guards. relume it and get a new Insert. Maybe a new plexi.

Daywatch

Suggest to try it out just like it is and to see how well it runs. Next would be aging the case (scratching/filing/repolishing) and to shave the crown-guards. Aging/bleaching the insert works best imo, not just scratching it. Try a leather and a NATO strap, maybe with gen-spec 1.9 or 2mm lugbars (depending if the lugholes can be drilled). All of this can be done with simple means and without spending money or risking anything.

Later: maybe an Athaya or gen crown (if You have experience in swapping out the stem) and relume/ age dial and hands (or change the dial for an already re-lumed one of Your choice).

Started a project like this - initially wanting to change everything (crown/dial/hands etc.) but it turns out I like the little watch so much and it just works so well that I ended everything else right there (for now) on the 2nd pic before any damage is done to it - lol

5513compare_0329c_zpsbedf5a6e.jpg

5513_1299c_zpsaa2dd87a.jpg

Pratt
I just ordered a 1680 from Ryan and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it. I think its the cartel version. Will the Clark t19 crystal fit in this without any additional mods? What do you all suggest I do for mods? I was thinking swap out the crystal, put in gen crown, and try to waterproof it. What do you all suggest? IMG_3851_zps8f92aeb9.jpg I hate how yellow the dial is but there isnt much I can do about that.

same here ..the yellow just looks funny