Sign in to follow this  
Madness

Will a Gen Dial fit??

Madness

Hi All,

I bought this 36 mm DateJust I (Rolex 116234) I rep from Mary/Rochest and I want to swap in a genuine dial. I asked 10:10 mods if he thought he could do it, and he told me that he would have to remove the feet and that the date window may be off.

Has anyone swapped in a genuine dial on one of these? Did the date line up?

I also was hoping to put on a new sapphire (without the obvious Coronet tell at 6 oclock). Any advice?

IMG_3742_zpsecf46dc3.jpg

IMG_3745_zps02d1c0ef.jpg

IMG_3744_zps5a0a9bf7.jpg

IMG_37431_zps25f837e6.jpg

Edited by Madness

P4GTR

Do you have a gen dial laying around, or is that another expenditure?

Madness

I don't have one, but was thinking about buying one.

If someone has purchased one and switched the dials with success, I'll consider doing it.

Otherwise, I'm reluctant to buy one without knowing for sure it will fit.

timetech08

i dont know this watch but 5 years ago u could swap the gen dial in say like puretimes or kings or perfect clones 36 mm ,, the datewheel will have to have a overlay to fit the window of course , the newer versions may work better but couldnt tell u for sure untill i saw the watch in hand but i wuold say most likely it is doable ,, crystal aftermarket should fit it fine as well the newer versions seems to be more compatible for gen parts than the old days when we had to really make things fit , lol

Arism

Not sure if this will be any help but have a read of this ---> 1601 Datejust Genken (99% gen) Build Sheet

From what I briefly read, you will need to use a DWO with a gen dial. It's also got some good info on dials too.

Madness

Not sure if this will be any help but have a read of this ---> 1601 Datejust Genken (99% gen) Build Sheet

From what I briefly read, you will need to use a DWO with a gen dial. It's also got some good info on dials too.

Thanks for including this, I'll read it carefully.

However, looks like in the above "Genken", a genuine case was used, unlike mine which is a rep case

Arism

Yeah, that build uses a gen case. FWIW my gen 1601 case came with a gen dial which I attempted to fit to a cheapy datejust rep, the dial was too small for the rep case in that instance. Not exactly sure what the diameter of a gen dial is, I've seen it listed as 27.5mm-28mm.

1littlegreen

Chris at 10:10 is right.... Too many variables... and very expensive. Dial, feet relocation, DWO and labor to fit the works into the case=money spent on other things

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Your watch looks good too me :)

Wear it well!!

themannier

This Watch is so nice !

Frankt8242

If you really want to spend 2-3 time what the final product might be worth...have at it!!

my advice to you would be to choose a more popular model to spend your $$'s on...

timetech08

If you really want to spend 2-3 time what the final product might be worth...have at it!!

my advice to you would be to choose a more popular model to spend your $$'s on...

i would have to agree with you,, but again personal taste is in the eye of the beholder, , i say wear this watch well as is as well

dalboy

Take what Chris 10.10 said as a given....

He knows his stuff and would not guide you wrong..

Dal.