Sign in to follow this  
dancndaz

Question about winding from a "noob".

dancndaz

Recently acquired a rep watch and it doesn't seem to have too much of a power reserve, so when I take it off a while I end up having to wind. It has a "cheap" 21 jewel asian movement, probably DG2813-2. So, what is the correct way to wind her up guys? Thanks.

AllergyDoc

Slowly is usually better. I wind all of my watches, but slowly. I usually just wind them enough to get them ticking, then stop.

Luthier

21J is great mov't, very reliable, and the last edition (2008-present) has power reserve equal to gen. ETAs.

KBH

My theory is that you should give them a pretty good winding if totally unwound. Slowly about 30 to 40 times to build up some power reserve. Then you should be good to go as long as you wear the same watch every day.

The 7750 movement, especially the Asian should be wound very gently and sparingly. The little gears in those movements are weak and they go real fast when being wound.

Member X

Set the time, put it face down in your hand, swirling anti-clockwise to get it started, then just strap it on :)

Most of mine start straight up, there's only a couple that take 10-20 seconds to build up enough power to get started!

jmd33
My theory is that you should give them a pretty good winding if totally unwound. Slowly about 30 to 40 times to build up some power reserve. Then you should be good to go as long as you wear the same watch every day.

+1 That's how I do it too.