Sign in to follow this  
Djames77

Why the fascination with Panerai / Pams?

Realism

my question... why the fascination of not searching?

jeffw69
The older I get, the lower my standards fall, Jeff !

A few shots a tequila, I'd hit it. Heck, Tommy did. :lol:

RichardMiami

I love em because they make me look like Sly... here I am wearing one recently:

Sylvester-Stallone-Panerai-Red-Carpet.jpg

jeffw69

:johng:

waynu

I love my PAM 111 - just such an elegant looking watch, but with a substantial presence especially when combined with a kick-ass strap - I will buy many more I think...

jeffrx

PAMs are great. If you add a nice strap to one you really have a great piece.

arancini

This question is almost asked as much as the legendary "Who has the Best Sub?".

You either get PAMs or you don't.

For me, it's the history, the simplicity, elegance and design.

Can wear one with formal wear and casual.

Such versatility.

HarleyMo

My God that man looks plastic.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

subiim

My God that man looks plastic.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

He looks pretty good for a senior citizen

Dendo

It took me a while but now I have a few

IMG_7129_zpscf407f49.jpg

and they and straps are a love affair waiting to happen

IMG_7195_zps3d58e687.jpg

Himont

Agree its all about the watch and matching a great strap!

Nice colllection

diplosa
Buy one and you'll see.

Spot on! I didn't see the appeal in them at first then I bought a 111 and my addiction started from there. I now have 7 PAM's and a wanted list of a good few more ;)

+ 1 million

Gbkirsch

What no one touched on here is, the basic design goes back to the watches worn by the Italian Navy frogmen of WWII. The Italians were some of the most successful demolition divers of the war scoring many tons of allied warships sunk or disabled at their hands. All while gauging the amount of oxygen left in their tanks by timing the flow of air with their Panerai watches. I think the real stories of their exploits combined with such a revolutionary dive watch makes a Panerai a must have in any watch collection. It was decades ahead of its time and has influenced the size of watches today. I bought a gen 104 in the early 2000s and it is still one of my favorites!

Gbkirsch

Btw, in case you didn't notice, I love Panerai watches. We spent a few weeks in Italy last fall, unfortunately only the African men selling fake watches at all the major tourist attractions were the only people that had any Panerai watches. But that's what got me interested in Rep watches which looked pretty good and ultimately which led me to RWG so it's all good now...

kasper618

A good ole pam is the only watch that will be on my wrist,

20130311_183814_zps9abe0d20.jpg

arancini

What no one touched on here is, the basic design goes back to the watches worn by the Italian Navy frogmen of WWII. The Italians were some of the most successful demolition divers of the war scoring many tons of allied warships sunk or disabled at their hands. All while gauging the amount of oxygen left in their tanks by timing the flow of air with their Panerai watches. I think the real stories of their exploits combined with such a revolutionary dive watch makes a Panerai a must have in any watch collection. It was decades ahead of its time and has influenced the size of watches today. I bought a gen 104 in the early 2000s and it is still one of my favorites!

Read "The Black Prince and the Sea Devils".

Jack Greene & Alessandro Massignani

Great tome for all Paneristi.

yawn

bought an 111 and i think that's will be it for me. i, for one, like variety of the watch world, i will never buy two watches that look alike, which would be a waste of money for me. so i still don't get people that collect a full box of pam. i think they are like soldiers, look at one is 'meh', but a doze of them all move in uniform formation, you would be like 'this is coooool'. but once again, i will refrain from thinking that way or my collection number will explode and set me to bankrupt.

Gbkirsch

Read "The Black Prince and the Sea Devils".

Jack Greene & Alessandro Massignani

Great tome for all Paneristi.

Thank you, I'll check it out.

James.

'nuff said.

694014d6-70d6-46d8-a61b-dd4c81eb0c43_zps057f3654.jpg

dave47

As others have already stated, Pams ARE elegant, have a graceful simplicity to their design, and, most of all, their dials are EASY TO READ, esp. for Old Farts like me, heh! dave

gmax

Thanks to this post, I don't know if I should go with PAM111 or IWC Big Pilot....this is going to be very difficult...

dainese

Thanks to this post, I don't know if I should go with PAM111 or IWC Big Pilot....this is going to be very difficult...

Get both!

But you dont have to get them at the same time. Get the one you're most infatuated with first.

DR3M3L

Panerai... Hmmm.... I love them.... Why?

Easy, the simplicity, the weight, the small details, the straps, the strength, the best movements, the unique crownguard, it's just amazing!