Sign in to follow this  
Vbmrk

Issue with brand new Daytona

Vbmrk

So after much research and debate, I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Daytona. I know all about the secs@6 issue and all, however after much discussion with a RWI td, I went ahead and ordered one through him (7750 movement). It took a little longer for me to get the watch as there was some holiday recently in china which delayed the shipping. Then when it finally got to me I was out of town for a week, so it sat in the box for another week.

I finally opened it up today and am having trouble getting the watch to start. I've wound it as one normally would (pull the crown out to position one and turn clockwise) but nothing happens. Finally when I press the chrono button @2 the chrono AND the secs@6 start moving (along with the watch movement). However when I stop the chrono and reset it, the whole thing shuts down all over again.

My guess is that the movement is defective, but if anyone has any suggestions (outside of "don't buy Daytona with sec@6") please let me know. Would hate to have to deal with sending this back and all.

Thanks

Wriggles

My first question is how you wound it. 7750 is auto movement and should not generally need to be wound, and if so only done very very very very carefully and slowly.

A couple of swirls in the hand generally does it with no need for handwinding

So, depends really on how you wound it if any damage has been done, or possibly was DOA but would only be able to determine that if you swirled it a few times when you first picked it up and were certain then that it didn't start.

The old palm slap is also something you could try.

onionbag

The palm slap is quite famous round these parts, I'd recommend it myself it it weren't for the fact that 10:10 watch repair would have a facepalm ready for me.

His advice is this.........no palm slaps.

Apart from that I've little else to add, except that I always kick start my 7750's by winding them half a dozen times...........another no-no. :D