Sign in to follow this  
jizza24

Research before you buy a Replica!

jizza24

Hi peeps,

So i live in Johannesburg South Africa and collect watches but do not have the budget to collect the watches i really want, well at least for now. I've done lots of research on Rolex Replicas and owned one in the past but other than that i don't have a clue on other brands which thanks to this site and other research i have found out the hard ward way.

i dont trust internet buying prior to the discovery of RWG ive read to many stories of rep sites advertising with gen images so i've steered clear until i came across a store at a local flea market boasting an awesome range of reps.

And there she was a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36 i didn't hesitate the watch felt good looked good and i had a tag for your equivalent of $135.

to me now this is not a Replica its a plain fake.

things i noticed -

1. Swiss Made missing at 6 o'clock

2. Reads "Caliper Reading" instead of Caliper Scale Reading

3. Date background is white with black font it should be black with white font

4. Chrono Buttons are not grooved but smooth

5. Tachymeter bezel broader than the original

6. Case back is solid

7. Clasp has incorrect logo type

8. Tag logo missing on caliper adjuster

9. Tag logo on the face of the watch also looks poorly done.

all in i plan on saving so i can buy a decent quality rep from one of the dealers on this site i hope the experience is better as i really like this Tag model and want a rep that cant be spotted.

20130414_124448.jpg20130414_124428.jpg20130414_124350.jpg20130414_124329.jpg20130414_124310.jpg20130414_124245.jpg

mattstone83

I'm fairly new here also, but you'll find that the cheaper quartz mvmt. watches are also fairly poor reps (from what I've read).

I recently bought a grand Carrera rs2 from Josh and for the 140 it cost me I'm wrapped (chrono isn't functional, however it's not the more expensive auto rep either) everything else is awesome. The finish is brilliant and it keeps amazing time thus far.

You can't expect that for 125 that you'll end up with a 1:1 replica, however do some more reading and ask the TD's some questions about these things before you order.

LightGeek

If you hadn't done your research, I'll bet you'd think that "fake" is a brilliant piece :) as said before, ignorance is bliss.

jizza24

lol i did i was even showing off luckily my friends aren't experts but i'm sure some1 laughed silently thinking look at this moron and his flea market Tag. :giggle:

Chr1st0c

Hi ...

Also from JHB here and almost fell for one of those flea market special quartz cheapies! There is an old guy here in SA that sells these cheap quartz versions for around R1350.00 so I went to his house and had a look at what he had ... And they were more or less what you have in the pictures. There are many .... many tells on those and frankly the quality compared to what is available is wel ...KAK !

Fact is ... You going to spend around $300.00 for a decent one with clone A7750 movement ... Even then you will get one that is very far from perfect! And anyone with a bit of knowledge will spot the Rep from a distance. The sunken date wheel is the biggest tell and the fact that it does not have a working power reserve meter.

There are many other Tags that are very very close to Gen ( Carrera Day Date Cal 16 and Aquaracer 500m Chrono and non chrono ). You will find that sticking with watches that are less complicated will have better quality ....or if the Gen movement has similar layout to the Rep movement ( A7750 same layout as TAG Cal 16 or Omega 1164 ) you can expect a good Rep ....

Just for shits and giggles, next time you walk past a AD ...Go inside and have a look at a Cal 36 ..... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT WEAR THE WATCH IN THE PICTURES INTO THE A.D. Once you have seen a Gen Cal 36 up close and personal, you will understand just how cheap the quartz is .... or any Rep for that matter !

Enjoy your shopping here ...There's a lot of nice guys here that has been doing this for a long time. There is much to learn !

Christo

Edited by Chr1st0c

jizza24

Christo good to meet someone from home here. Are there any places or do you know anyone here in JHB that can source good quality reps?

RichardMiami

Christo good to meet someone from home here. Are there any places or do you know anyone here in JHB that can source good quality reps?

Jizza... buy from our Trusted Dealers!

Click the link in my signature!!

jizza24

Richard i am considering that but first prize would be to buy from some1 here in south africa reason being i would feel really fukt off if customs decide they also need a Tag but i guess its the risk i gotta take.

Chr1st0c

Jizza

The short aswer is NO. There is no one in SA that can will get these from. Myself and Electron (Jan) down in durban have been ordering from the TDs for a while now and have never had any issues with customs. Jan tells me he always pay a little more and use DHL for all his orders, but as I said, I have never had issues with EMS. Once I even had a package inspected by customs (re-sealed with customs tape) .... No problems!

I am quite conident that you will get what you ordered

Good luck

Christo

Electron17

Hi Jizza,

Christo is correct, little or no problems with customs in SA. Just bring in 1 or 2 watches at a time. I use DHL due to speed of delivery and customs don't even look at them. With EMS the parcel get delivered my the SA post office and I have always been charged a customs fee of about R 56. Don't even consider a dealer is SA as you will not get the quality you will get from one of the trusted dealers.

Regards,

Jan

jizza24

Thanks guys im sold on that, lastly could you recommend a Td or should any1 do as long as they are a td?

Chr1st0c

You are pretty safe with any of the TDs here ... Thats why they are trusted. Also ...As long as you deal with them any issues can be reported to the Mods and they will help you solve them. Be sure you read the "pinned" articles.. They normally bring the new guys up to speed quickly.

Don't be afraid to ask questions... there are many guys here that will help !

Cheers

Christo