Sign in to follow this  
Dafydd57

2012 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Red and Black Chronograph

Dafydd57

Hi folks,

My latest offering in the F1 family is the 2012 TAG Heuer F1 Black and Red Chronograph replica based upon the gen model CAU1117. The 2012 models no longer use ETA movements and have gone to RONDA quartz movements exclusively. According to one nameless website, that is totally devoted to TAG Heuer, this particular model is a dealer special order only.

Here is a picture of the gen.

TAGHeuerFormula12012Red_zpsf199db45.jpg

I received my rep from Perfect Clones this morning. I wasn't sure what to expect as I didn't receive any QC pics (my fault probably as I ordered directly off his site). I requested to receive this watch with a black DW for accuracy.

On to the pictures:

DSC00073_zps18b4766a.jpg

The only differences that I see are, the printing on the bezel, it appears to be thicker than on the original, and the recessed subdial's do not have the concentric rings as seen on the gen above.

DSC00072_zpsf8165901.jpg

The obvious flaw here is the model number on the case back.

DSC00071_zpscb160aa5.jpg

DSC00074_zps7a0cbaed.jpg

DSC00075_zps1359d640.jpg

This watch uses the same RONDA 5040 quartz movement as the gen (yes, case back was off this watch within 10 minutes of receiving it). My Chronograph second hand was out by 2 seconds and required resetting. A little searching on the internet and I found a user manual for the movement that provided resetting instructions.

The only other issues that I have observed are; the crown doesn't screw in (this appears to be by design and not a problem with this particular watch) and the rubber strap is quite stiff. Also, there is no lume. Being as I don't have a gen to compare to, I'm not sure if these are actually flaws, comments anyone?.

A unique feature of the stop watch function is that the 1/10 second hand actually rotates for the first 30 seconds of operation and then stops at 0. when the chronograph function is stopped, this hand then spins to the relevant 1/10 second position. this is unlike the earlier F!'s where the 1/10 second hand doesn't move until the chronograph is stopped.

Overall, this is an excellent reproduction with only a few minor tells.

Thanks for reading this review.

Edited by Dafydd57

SSTEEL

Interesting watch/rep, thanks for sharing your findings with it. How did you happen to come by it to find out its a dealer special order watch?

Dafydd57

Hey SSTEEL,

If you check out the F1 Chronograph offerings on the TAG Heuer website, you won't find this particular model on offer. I'm not sure that I can post the website address to the site I visit, as mentioned in my review, but it was there that I learned that this particular gen model (CAU1117) is only available through special dealer order. I'll PM the link to you if you would like it

I purchased this rep as it appears to be the most accurate available of the 2012 F1 chronograph line.

Hope this helps

HarleyMo

I like it. Hows the AR? The first pic looked a little cloudy.

I looked at perfect clones and didnt see it. Where is he hiding it ?

koalaakabear

I like it. Hows the AR? The first pic looked a little cloudy.

I looked at perfect clones and didnt see it. Where is he hiding it ?

Special order?

Dafydd57

Hey folks,

I don't believe there is AR on this watch as the originals don't have it, the watch is great just the lighting is poor for the picture, the special order is for the gen and the link for this watch is:

http://www.1-pc8838....no-p-12495.html

Have a great afternoon all.

Edited by Dafydd57

Dafydd57

Update: On closer examination of the watch face I discovered that the subdials do indeed have concentric circles and so recant my earlier statement. Viewable in this picture: (Never very good at Macro shooting)

DSC00088_zpsa4e84d6b.jpg

I have also shaped the rubber strap to my wrist using the hot water method. It is now extremely comfortable to wear but I do plan on putting a black leather strap with red stitching on it down the road.

Edited by Dafydd57

SeptemberSun

Hi there,

How is this watch holding up so far? I'm really considering popping on one...

Cheers,

SS

Maximushornet

Hi , Im also considering buying this rep , but does the origional have a deployment clasp?? i saw on youtube that it did? is it easy to put on if I get one? and can you explain the hot water method??

thanks

Dafydd57

Hi folks,

The watch has been my daily wearer since buying it and has kept time perfectly (quartz movement after all). I prefer this to my other F1's including my gen as it is a bigger watch which suits my large wrists. Just ordered another one from PC as I had a slight accident with this one and will probably part it out in M2M later this week.

I'm not too sure about a deployment clasp on a rubber bracelet with the F1 series. I've seen them on the Calibre series, but it's possible being as this particular model of gen is a special order. A clasp is relatively easy to install as it replaces the buckle.

The hot water method is used to shape a rubber strap to better fit your wrist. I decided to do this as the watch band is quite thick and this is the method I used:

I removed both bands off my watch and rolled them up, using a small elastic band to stop them from un-rolling. I then placed them into a mug and filled it with boiling water, allowing them to "steep" for about 5 minutes. I then cooled them off under running cold water and once they were cool I removed the elastic bands. The bands now have a nice curve in them which makes them more comfortable to wear.

If you're interested in my parted out F1 PM me, it'll be in the M2M on Wednesday or Thursday.

HarleyMo

How's the crystal. The gen looked nice, your pic looked cloudy, was that just a bad pic angle? Sorry. I already asked this

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using Tapatalk 4

Maximushornet

Thanks for the tips :) , but ive just seen the PC version of the Carerra Monaco Tag and its just amazing so may go for that instead :)

Duzza
Thanks for the tips :) , but ive just seen the PC version of the Carerra Monaco Tag and its just amazing so may go for that instead :)

Oh dear. You've just cost me £300 :)