Sign in to follow this  
Dungeekin

Sheared rotor retaining screw on 21j

Dungeekin

Hi all

Unfortunately I took a tumble today while wearing my cheapo 21j Panerai and the rotor, while always loud, started making a real scraping sound.

On taking the back off and having a look the rotor was completely loose - turned out the head of the retaining screw had sheared off completely so there is no way of refitting it. Thankfully it hadn't got stuck in the movement and was easy to remove.

As it's only a 21j watch I'm not overly bothered, but having done some research on here it seems that I can just completely remove the rotor from the case and the watch will still be usable - just handwind.

Please would someone confirm that I've understood that right and the watch (assuming there's no other damage I can't see) will simply work handwound?

Thanks

Neil

Xebryus

Remove the screw and rotor and yep, you're good

DR3M3L

If it's a 21j hack movement with winding function -yes. If you need a screw, shoot me a PM. ;)

Dungeekin

Thanks Xebryus.

I wasn't able to remove the screw itself because it's got no screwhead, but I removed the screwhead. Will leaving the screw itself in cause a problem?

Thanks for the offer, Joran. I may do so (once I've ordered and received a replacement Panerai) and use this one for maintenance practice!

Xebryus

Not really. That screw has 1 function, and that's to hold the rotor in place. As long as the rotor isn't there, its function now is completely useless

jeffw69
If it's a 21j hack movement with winding function -yes. If you need a screw, shoot me a PM. ;)

I need a screw too please.

Dungeekin

Thanks again. The info I'd read on the forum seemed to indicate that was the case - just wanted to make sure!

DR3M3L

Which one? :giggle:

Xebryus

Clearly :69:

DR3M3L

Clearly :69:

I was planning on shipping this to Jeff:

8urubyzu.jpg

SSTEEL

So Jeff's loose screw finally got lost :lol: