Mirage

Dopple Chrono Top Gun 3799-01

Mirage

First of all, Wow! What a great watch! Feels like quality in every aspect. I was surprised how is wears small considering it is a 46mm. It wears a lot smaller than my Big Pilot which is 47mm.

Case:

The color and texture of the case are truly contribute to the quality feel of the watch. All edges are well shaped and smooth. This watch feels a lot lighter than my Big Pilot due to the ceramic and titanium. The Top Gun logo is way too white, but I'll do the repaint job as described on this forum. The pushers are nicely made and they operate smoothly. The pusher at 10 O'clock is still depressible even if it has no function attached to it.

Dial:

All markers are bright white and well sized making very easy to read time rapidly. I was impressed to see that even if the hands and 12,3,6,9 markers are covered with green lume, they are as white as the other items.

The color of the Dial is flat black and does ot allow any reflection, it is very dark. There is a thin line of what seems to be metallic paint around the 12 and 6 o'clock subdial. At certain angle it looks like the GEN

Hands:

Nothing to say here, well made, strong lume, Chrono Second hand is double (Fake dopple chrono) and they are bent towards the dial at the end.

Crown:

The crown seems to be a bit fragile on the thread side, or is it maybe more of a fear deep inside me after reading all of those horror stories with the V2 44MM TG... It is my first 7750 watch with a Screw crown, since i never hand wind my 7750s I was surprised to see how much resistance the movement was offering while screwing down the crown.

The other positions for date and time adjustment are engaging well and easy to access.

Movement:

The chrono hand is very jumpy, at first I thought of a low beat 7750, but after a comparison with my other watches, it is really a 28800 bph movement.

The date change is well operating and the day change is operated by turning the crown in the opposite direction than when changing the date.

Back cover

The Top Gun Logo is under a layer of clear plastic and seems to be of good quality, never heard of one falling off but I doubt it will ever happen. The engravings are a bit rough, but it is acceptable.

Strap:

Beautiful Strap, but very rigid. It is difficult to remove and put the watch on my wrist. After a couple of hours It took the shape better than expected, it is now very comfortable.

Buckle:

Very nice buckle supposedly made of titanium. Color is fantastic and it is very light.

Crystal:

Last but not the least, the crystal. This is according to me one of the most impressive part of this watch. It completely disappears under many different angles. AR is a little blueish as per Gen.

Bottom line:

This is now my favorite watch within my entire collection.

Thanks for reading, enjoy the pics.

9P44C9K.jpg

iOpwach.jpg

FNI9Nlb.jpg

DWOE9Sq.jpg

ilPOo4Y.jpg

ibPT4iF.jpg

HeavyKrush

Not really an IWC fan, but this one's a stunner. Wear it in good health.

SSTEEL

It is a stunner. You mention faux/fake chronograph, and that the pusher at 2 does nothing, but seeing as this has the A7750, why is the chronograph not functional?

Or am I missing something?

subiim

One chrono is functional. But not two (doppel)

SSTEEL

Wonder why that is?

Mirage

It is a stunner. You mention faux/fake chronograph, and that the pusher at 2 does nothing, but seeing as this has the A7750, why is the chronograph not functional?

Or am I missing something?

As subiim mentionned, this watch is equipped with a 7750 movement with chronograph function. The chronograph works like any other 7750 watches. On the other hand the Gen has a module that adds a second chronograph, this is why this watch has another chrono button at 10 o'clock and 2 chrono seconds hands superposed.

SSTEEL

Ah I see now, understood, thanks.

WARBOT

The chrono pusher at 10 is faux. The other 2 work. Start stop at 2 reset at 4.

Omegabond007

Nice watch! I've got one on its way (not the double chrono, but the single chrono) and can't wait!

dru888

where did u buy this watch?

Mirage

Bought it from Toro.

MH_91

I LOVE this watch, i also bought it from Toro 3 weeks ago, however it got a major damage so i sold it as a broken status to another member here. Right now i am saving a bit money here and there so i can re-order this watch.

One thing i recommend, this watch is not water resistant, so be careful regardless to this matter.

wear it in good health and congrats in your new purchase :) Cheers mate

Mirage

What happened with yours? It swallowed a couple of sips? I just teared mine appart to grease gaskets and pushers. I am not intending to go and take a swim with this watch, but just as simple prevention I thought I would increase its water tightness.

Good luck in your second acquisition.

djeedub
On 25/04/2013 at 13:36, Mirage said:

Edited by djeedub

Japie

Amazing pics man! great review

SpeedySteUK
On 24/04/2013 at 02:04, Mirage said:

First of all, Wow! What a great watch! Feels like quality in every aspect. I was surprised how is wears small considering it is a 46mm. It wears a lot smaller than my Big Pilot which is 47mm.

Case:

The color and texture of the case are truly contribute to the quality feel of the watch. All edges are well shaped and smooth. This watch feels a lot lighter than my Big Pilot due to the ceramic and titanium. The Top Gun logo is way too white, but I'll do the repaint job as described on this forum. The pushers are nicely made and they operate smoothly. The pusher at 10 O'clock is still depressible even if it has no function attached to it.

Dial:

All markers are bright white and well sized making very easy to read time rapidly. I was impressed to see that even if the hands and 12,3,6,9 markers are covered with green lume, they are as white as the other items.

The color of the Dial is flat black and does ot allow any reflection, it is very dark. There is a thin line of what seems to be metallic paint around the 12 and 6 o'clock subdial. At certain angle it looks like the GEN

Hands:

Nothing to say here, well made, strong lume, Chrono Second hand is double (Fake dopple chrono) and they are bent towards the dial at the end.

Crown:

The crown seems to be a bit fragile on the thread side, or is it maybe more of a fear deep inside me after reading all of those horror stories with the V2 44MM TG... It is my first 7750 watch with a Screw crown, since i never hand wind my 7750s I was surprised to see how much resistance the movement was offering while screwing down the crown.

The other positions for date and time adjustment are engaging well and easy to access.

Movement:

The chrono hand is very jumpy, at first I thought of a low beat 7750, but after a comparison with my other watches, it is really a 28800 bph movement.

The date change is well operating and the day change is operated by turning the crown in the opposite direction than when changing the date.

Back cover

The Top Gun Logo is under a layer of clear plastic and seems to be of good quality, never heard of one falling off but I doubt it will ever happen. The engravings are a bit rough, but it is acceptable.

Strap:

Beautiful Strap, but very rigid. It is difficult to remove and put the watch on my wrist. After a couple of hours It took the shape better than expected, it is now very comfortable.

Buckle:

Very nice buckle supposedly made of titanium. Color is fantastic and it is very light.

Crystal:

Last but not the least, the crystal. This is according to me one of the most impressive part of this watch. It completely disappears under many different angles. AR is a little blueish as per Gen.

Bottom line:

This is now my favorite watch within my entire collection.

Thanks for reading, enjoy the pics.

9P44C9K.jpg

iOpwach.jpg

FNI9Nlb.jpg

DWOE9Sq.jpg

ilPOo4Y.jpg

ibPT4iF.jpg

I know this post is a bit old now, but can anyone point me into the right direction, of actually getting hold of this model?  I have to around the TD's and have all stated this in unavailable.  Many thanks in advance :)

GenTLe
35 minutes ago, SpeedySteUK said:

I know this post is a bit old now, but can anyone point me into the right direction, of actually getting hold of this model?  I have to around the TD's and have all stated this in unavailable.  Many thanks in advance :)

No way you'll find it anywhere.

The most similar you can eventually find now is one of these (maybe):

http://www.trb88.club/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_139&product_id=1975

http://www.trb88.club/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_139&product_id=1904

http://www.trb88.club/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_139&product_id=3127

SpeedySteUK
23 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Thank you.  Some of the TD's still have them up on their websites which is frustrating to be told not currently available.  Only way I think I will get one is second hand. 

GenTLe
8 hours ago, SpeedySteUK said:

Thank you.  Some of the TD's still have them up on their websites which is frustrating to be told not currently available.  Only way I think I will get one is second hand. 

Yeah but it's rare. I got the one without the pusher at 10 (which in anycase is not functional on the rep), in the 2015 or max 2016 I think, way too back in time to have it still around nowadays, also considering the amount of new models that IWC (and consequently factories) have pushed out in the meantime,

This (IW3789-01), that I also modded slightly to replace the white paint filling of the "Top Gun" engraved on the side with a more appropriate and gen-like metallic grey (pic of the gen):

14iwcc508891.jpg

BadApple
9 hours ago, SpeedySteUK said:

If the TD's have said no then the answer is no. We members being down the pecking order cannot say yes unfortunately  UNLESS you hit lucky on placing something on Want to Buy or like I did hit lucky with similar on M2M....

jZFo52.jpg

SpeedySteUK
54 minutes ago, BadApple said:

If the TD's have said no then the answer is no. We members being down the pecking order cannot say yes unfortunately  UNLESS you hit lucky on placing something on Want to Buy or like I did hit lucky with similar on M2M....

jZFo52.jpg

Very nice model mate.  Yes they appear to be like gold dust to get hold of.  I can't understand why they would stop making them as they are a lovely looking watch. 

SpeedySteUK
1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

Yeah but it's rare. I got the one without the pusher at 10 (which in anycase is not functional on the rep), in the 2015 or max 2016 I think, way too back in time to have it still around nowadays, also considering the amount of new models that IWC (and consequently factories) have pushed out in the meantime,

This (IW3789-01), that I also modded slightly to replace the white paint filling of the "Top Gun" engraved on the side with a more appropriate and gen-like metallic grey (pic of the gen):

14iwcc508891.jpg

Is this your own model?  Very nice.  I have put request for one, on the wants forum to try and get hold of one if anyone is wanted to sell.  

Edited by SpeedySteUK
Typo