Sign in to follow this  
JCFans

Day Date II from TS

JCFans

Hello,

I recently bought the below watch from TS. The Swiss ETA movement.

http://www.timeshops.net/12073-xfro5510-rolex-day-date-ii-silver-dial-ss-ss-41mm-swiss-eta-2836.html

The watched came within a week and a half to Canada. Two things I am finding weird:

1) There is no holographic engravement at the 6 o'clock mark of the glass.

2) When you shake the watch, the movement makes funny noises inside the caseback.

Are these things normal?

Thank you.

Greyfriar's Bobby

the engraving at 6 o'clock is usually barely even visible to the naked eye, unless in the perfect light. And often you might even need a loupe to see it properly depending on how good your eyes are! :-)

The noise you describe, is it a mechanical, mild "grinding" noise? If so it's probably just the automatic movement which will always make some noise, but if it's overly noisy and grinding then it may have a slight problem, but I'm not the man to tell you what it is! Soz!

JCFans
the engraving at 6 o'clock is usually barely even visible to the naked eye, unless in the perfect light. And often you might even need a loupe to see it properly depending on how good your eyes are! :-) The noise you describe, is it a mechanical, mild "grinding" noise? If so it's probably just the automatic movement which will always make some noise, but if it's overly noisy and grinding then it may have a slight problem, but I'm not the man to tell you what it is! Soz!

Thank you, Bobby! You are perfectly right. Now I see the engraving actually :giggle: .

For the noise, it's not the automatic movement. For the movement I can hear it if I press the caseback against my ear-- the ticking sweeping sound. The sound I brought up is when you actually shake the watch and once you stop shaking there is a residual sound like a spring spinning that stops a few seconds after you stop shaking. Is this normal for a replica?

Also, not sure what the caseback is made from but when the bracelet hits it, it makes this very cheap-sounding sound like a tin can or something. Is this also normal for a replica? The Rolex I bought from TS is apparently the highest grade one.

J.Eric

The noise you are hearing might be the rotor spinning. I can here my rotor spin for a second or two.

RussP

Spring like sounds is the auto-winding mechanism.

You've never 'heard' an automatic watch 'whine' or 'zing' before?

roti

anche io ho comperato da TS,e il rumore che si sente è normale per rolex automatico.hai provato a controllare se tiene il tempo esatto.

il mio è perfetto(DAYDATE II)

JCFans

Spring like sounds is the auto-winding mechanism.

You've never 'heard' an automatic watch 'whine' or 'zing' before?

The noise you are hearing might be the rotor spinning. I can here my rotor spin for a second or two.

Hi Russ and Eric,

I have never heard of such things before-- pardon my newbieness. Are you saying that: 1) This is normal for a replica, or 2) This is how the original sounds like when shaken? or 3) both?

Thank you.

flyr

There is a half disk shaped rotor inside your watch that spins when you move your arm. This spinning rotor winds the spring in your watch which in turn moves the gears that drive the hands. It is normal to hear some noise after moving the watch vigorously as the rotor is still spinning. You are most likely used to a quartz watch that does not make this sound. Even gens make some noise.

LightGeek

Just to catch this now.... If you don't wear the watch for about two days consecutively, it will stop.

J.Eric

Looks something like this...

CIMG2101_zps7e404587.jpg

And yes, #3 is correct :D

JCFans

Just to catch this now.... If you don't wear the watch for about two days consecutively, it will stop.

There is a half disk shaped rotor inside your watch that spins when you move your arm. This spinning rotor winds the spring in your watch which in turn moves the gears that drive the hands. It is normal to hear some noise after moving the watch vigorously as the rotor is still spinning. You are most likely used to a quartz watch that does not make this sound. Even gens make some noise.

Thank you, everyone! :D :D

One more thing, not sure what the caseback is made from but when the bracelet hits it, it makes this very cheap-sounding sound like a tin can or something. Is this also normal for a replica? The Rolex I bought from TS is apparently the highest grade one.

JCFans

Looks something like this...

CIMG2101_zps7e404587.jpg

And yes, #3 is correct :D

Okay I know what this looks like-- thank you! I have a replica JLC in a clear caseback that shows this half-moon thing as well. When I swing the watch it makes this heavy sound like an axe is being swung hahaha. Is that supposed to sound like that? Albeit it was a cheap replica of $100 or so :P.

J.Eric

Yes they will all make noise. some more than others.

camdensq

Hi JCFans

Be careful, it seems you bought your watch on a scam site of TS.

TS is a trusted dealer but the good URL adress of its site is http://timesshop.net/ not http://timeshops.net

A genuine swiss ETA mvt is not noisy ...

LightGeek
Hi JCFans

Be careful, it seems you bought your watch on a scam site of TS.

TS is a trusted dealer but the good URL adress of its site is http://timesshop.net/ not http://timeshops.net

A genuine swiss ETA mvt is not noisy ...

They're both valid for the same vendor.

JCFans

Yes they will all make noise. some more than others.

Thanks, Eric. Is this like this also in the gen? Sorry for the noob question.

J.Eric

The pic above is a Gen 2824.2 and you can hear the rotor, but just barely. I think it is

because of the construction of the AP Diver v3.5. I have a couple of different Rolex with Gen Swiss

movements. My DateJust is the loudest, while my DSSD is quieter and my Yacht-Master is somewhere

in the middle. The other kicker is that when I received those watches, I oiled the rotor bearings. I also

have a cheap 21j movement that I can hear the rotor spin at arms length.

JCFans

The pic above is a Gen 2824.2 and you can hear the rotor, but just barely. I think it is

because of the construction of the AP Diver v3.5. I have a couple of different Rolex with Gen Swiss

movements. My DateJust is the loudest, while my DSSD is quieter and my Yacht-Master is somewhere

in the middle. The other kicker is that when I received those watches, I oiled the rotor bearings. I also

have a cheap 21j movement that I can hear the rotor spin at arms length.

Thank you! :D