Sign in to follow this  
roguetrader

Bangkok dangerous! for a noob looking for a noob?

roguetrader

Hi folks,

First of all a great site and thanks to everybody who shares their time and knowledge, because without it I'd probably have a Panerai in the post from the usual "Swiss Replica AAA+ grade" google topping merchants of shame and embarrassment...

Bit of background on what brought me here.

I was once the proud owner of a Omega Speedmaster Professional, sadly we had to part ways during a small personal financial crisis in 2010 and since then i've been "getting down with the kids" and using the old mobile phone as a watch.

I've had a few $20 dollar street fakes from Bangkok, but you all know the only good thing about those is you'll never get mugged whilst in Bangkok for it, because they look so pathetic that no thief would ever mistake it for the real deal.

The thing is i miss having nice looking weighty timepiece on my wrist.

So with a bit of cash to spend I've been looking. Trouble is finding something i like, (Gen) in my price range (max $1000) thats going to be a good all rounder that i want to wear everyday.

One watch that i cant get out of my mind is this http://www.ablogtowatch.com/marvin-m112-watch-review/

i love the simple sixties styling with crosshairs on a silver dial just looks so classic to me.

I have many hang ups about buying this watch though...

1) its almost a everyday watch (I dont play sports or dive the deep seas) but maybe not quite.

2) The size 44mm wide, I'm a big watch fan, to a point. I think the sweet point for a watch of this style is 42mm inmodern times and i think this might just wear a bit too big for the style. I know its only a couple of mm but i just think they might have overstepped the mark a tad.

Thats another thing, no UK stockists (where i live) so i cant try it on for size anywhere...

3) Marvin! This isnt the original Marvin watchmakers of yesteryear, this is just a new start company trading on the original Marvin name with which they have no historical lineage or connection. Which brings me on to point No 4.

4) The price Just under $1100. Personally i think it belongs in the $500 range with all the German mid range stuff out there and i just cant pay that money for with all the issues i have above.

I realise that no one in China is going to start knocking off reps of a lowly brand like marvin, and i cant find anyone else high or lower end making anything that looks like this.

Any ideas?

So if your still reading this long winded introduction, here I'am looking a reps.

I think/ hope i can pick up 3 reps for the price of that Marvin, of the same or nearly the same quality and no need to worry about it being a all rounder.

Is that a reasonable assumption to make?

Here is what i have my eye on.

1) Rolex Milgauss gv asian high beat 2836 eta clone

2) Panerai 111- noob- asian 6497 with asso strap

to be honest the Panerai range is a bit overwhelming, i love them but there is so many different models and they all look pretty similar (not a bad thing) just hard to make my mind up...

3) ??? Hopefully something that looks like that Marvin.

The next question is where to buy from?

I like the look of Toro's site and feedback but i travel to Bangkok with work nearly once a month and wondered if it might be worth while reading up and saving pics of movements etc and taking a look at Saphan Lek market to see if i can pick up a bargain with out the postage costs and customs risks and the chance to try before i buy...

i realise thats if i can even find any of the high end merchandise in the first place. Though i will be able to take a native with me to translate and help barter the price somewhere nearer to earth.

Any feedback will be appreciated

Thanks

Mazz

Welcome aboard

Highly doubtful that you'd be able to find anything to compare what a TD could get you also for their price

Best stick with the dealers here for watches

flyr

Welcome to the forum! Try Iwc portofino different faces available 41mm iwc0050z-iwc-portofino-white-dial-ss-lt-a2824.jpg

Sparkal

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

roguetrader

Thank you

I do realise the TDs are the sensible option here, and fools rush in and all that.

i just have the fear of the Uk customs getting there hands on it and having no recourse.

Also i can imagine how excruciating it is waiting for them to clear customs whilst watching the tracking.

Ah Patience, I guess I'm going to have to learn that virtue..

TheSav

Longest introduction I have read but also worthwhile reading. There is a lot of information here as you have already gathered. I can vouch for Toro as he is my favourite dealer. His site doesn't have the most extensive collection unfortunately but he can source other models if you drop him an email. There are plenty of watches with a similar classic look to the Marvin you are after. My best suggestion would be to look through sites like Timeshops and perfect clones who list quite a lot of models on their sites. You'll be overwhelmed by the choices I'm sure.

So welcome to the forum and good luck on your quest. Don't forget to post of pics of what you end up buying. :)

Netniet

I would stick to the TD's here, Toro is a good choice, or Trusty. I even had a couple of reps send to our office in Singapore in the same period i had to be there so i could take them with me. But until now none of my reps has been seized by customs.

roguetrader

i've checked out the IWS but i think they just on the wrong side of the classic look for me.

I'd say its more vintage looking, just doesnt have the cool edge of that Marvin. probably because the marvin has some more modern design elements incorporated into it.

roguetrader

I would stick to the TD's here, Toro is a good choice, or Trusty. I even had a couple of reps send to our office in Singapore in the same period i had to be there so i could take them with me. But until now none of my reps has been seized by customs.

I thought i might ask Toro if he could send then to me at my address in Bangkok, it might be safer and a bit quicker.

Although from what i know of thai customs, maybe not.

i will get in touch with Toro in the next few days or so, i just want to make sure i know what i want and where i will be first so as not to be dithering and indecisive to the point of being annoying.

roguetrader

Longest introduction I have read but also worthwhile reading. There is a lot of information here as you have already gathered. I can vouch for Toro as he is my favourite dealer. His site doesn't have the most extensive collection unfortunately but he can source other models if you drop him an email. There are plenty of watches with a similar classic look to the Marvin you are after. My best suggestion would be to look through sites like Timeshops and perfect clones who list quite a lot of models on their sites. You'll be overwhelmed by the choices I'm sure.

So welcome to the forum and good luck on your quest. Don't forget to post of pics of what you end up buying. :)

You'd be surprised how many thousands of watches i've looked through looking for a clean silver crosshairs dail with plain markers...

All have either sub-dail, arabic or roman numerals something spoiling the clean look i'm after.

I definitely will be posting pics of the big day :)

SSTEEL

Welcome to RWG, and what an intro, a great read. I'm sure searching the TD's listing you will safely be able to source a similar watch as the Marvin :)

Baldrick

You won't get anything of quality at Saphan Lek market, you're better off contacting Narikaa, if he can source, he can post your stuff to you in BKK.......or send it by taxi......how long are you in BKK for ?

JasperB

Go to MBK. Start on 6th floor and work downwards. You will get the same watches the TD's have if you are prepared to pay up to 12,000 THB (about 240 quid) I have bought from 3 TD's from this site, and lots from MBK. If you buy more than 1 watch you will get discount. Haggle for best price but don't walk away they will not call you back. I have a great Patek Nautilus I paid 4000 THB for because I bought 4 watches at once. The 3rd floor at the moment is best if you find the right dealer, used to be 6th floor but movement has happened recently.

People WILL say you can't get a top rep from MBK but this is simply bollox. You can, I do, and so does at least one TD on this site.

There are many more places in BKK but MBK is the easiest to find.

roguetrader

Go to MBK. Start on 6th floor and work downwards. You will get the same watches the TD's have if you are prepared to pay up to 12,000 THB (about 240 quid) I have bought from 3 TD's from this site, and lots from MBK. If you buy more than 1 watch you will get discount. Haggle for best price but don't walk away they will not call you back. I have a great Patek Nautilus I paid 4000 THB for because I bought 4 watches at once. The 3rd floor at the moment is best if you find the right dealer, used to be 6th floor but movement has happened recently.

People WILL say you can't get a top rep from MBK but this is simply bollox. You can, I do, and so does at least one TD on this site.

Thanks great advice

I will definitely go there sometime this month and ask around, see what i can find. I'm used to dealing with Thais so i wont be fazed by haggling with them and i'll walk away if they don have what i want.

I understand why the more experienced members on here try to steer people especially noobs towards the TD and away from trying to source their own stuff on the streets of Asia. Its probably going to end bad 9 out of 10 times right...

I think i'll probably end up just using the TDs but it will be a education if nothing more.

4000 thb for a Nautilus is a steal, if i can get those prices i might set up as a dealer lol.. The blue face ss auto is on my list to check out

roguetrader
If you really want a gen take a look at Chris Ward: http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/view-all-mens-watches.html

I'm not set on a gen, in fact i'm more interested in reps after discovering this site.

I just really like the style of that Marvin. If they was a rep of anything that looked like that i would probably buy it regardless of what name was written on it.

Although it looks like a very generic design I've yet to find anything that looks the same...

roguetrader
You won't get anything of quality at Saphan Lek market, you're better off contacting Narikaa, if he can source, he can post your stuff to you in BKK.......or send it by taxi......how long are you in BKK for ?

Thats interesting information thank you

I didnt know Narikaa was based in Bkk, i like the sound of having it delivered by taxi from a TD doesn't get much better than that.

I'm usually there for 10 days sometimes longer...

JasperB

Thanks great advice

I will definitely go there sometime this month and ask around, see what i can find. I'm used to dealing with Thais so i wont be fazed by haggling with them and i'll walk away if they don have what i want.

I understand why the more experienced members on here try to steer people especially noobs towards the TD and away from trying to source their own stuff on the streets of Asia. Its probably going to end bad 9 out of 10 times right...

I think i'll probably end up just using the TDs but it will be a education if nothing more.

4000 thb for a Nautilus is a steal, if i can get those prices i might set up as a dealer lol.. The blue face ss auto is on my list to check out

Not 9 times out of ten. First time you try it you learn. Everyone is out to make a buck - right?... I have lived here for over three years, day in, day out, and Thai's are no different to anyone else when it comes to making a dollar. Best advice is go there, take your time, bring a loupe, have a damn good look at the watch, pull the crown, check everything - hand movement, slack, date change, etc. and when you know you want it, politely ask the price, look shocked at the answer, they will say but I can discount mister, you look interested, and then haggle a bit more, keep hold of the watch so they know you really want it, but haggle, eventually you will get the watch, it won't be ridiculously cheap, but it will be a good price.

I have scored for very cheap on two occasions. First time was for a closed back Nautilus with ETA. I argued how could I tell it was ETA when back was closed, and since I was buying two or three watches I got a really good price. Second time was for the leather strap Nautilus, ETA, correct date window placement, all correct stamps, 4000THB! - 500 USD on some TD sites.

Some days you go to MBK you get nothing. Only rubbish for sale. Some days you could easily buy ten watches.

JasperB

Oh.. almost forgot to say stay clear of the Indian sellers - they sell absolute rubbish at inflated prices and they are aggressive. Thai, Chinese or Korean is OK.

narikaa

Some days you go to MBK you get nothing. Only rubbish for sale. Some days you could easily buy ten watches.

And some days someone's seen a policeman and all the watch sellers have put the covers up and run for the hills ;)

DG335

I've bought quite a few on my frequent travels to BK. I don't bother with MBK. It's not that it doesn't offer good reps, I've seen good ones, it's just that they are aimed at the Arabs and Russians paying top dollar.

If you search hard enough you can find 1 or 2 in the market area Patpong who will take you to their lock up and get better stuff.

Saying that I still haven't got cheaper pricing than the TD I used although I did get 12 through customs on my last trip!

JasperB

I've bought quite a few on my frequent travels to BK. I don't bother with MBK. It's not that it doesn't offer good reps, I've seen good ones, it's just that they are aimed at the Arabs and Russians paying top dollar.

If you search hard enough you can find 1 or 2 in the market area Patpong who will take you to their lock up and get better stuff.

Saying that I still haven't got cheaper pricing than the TD I used although I did get 12 through customs on my last trip!

Russians paying top dollar. Hmmm.... :)

Any road up, my theory about internet blogs is that whatever anyone says there will be an equal number of others who will contradict it I think it is a universal law and an absolute constant.

Meanwhile I just ordered, by telephone, to my dealer in MBK another aquanaut which I can have with a Jap movement for 2500 THB or with a A Swiss ETA movement for 8000 THB (which is about 160 quid) Not stupidly cheap, but not bad at all

Baldrick

Dunno what rate you're getting.....but 8000 baht is NOT £160.00 [email protected] .....closer to £185.00 :B):

JasperB

And some days someone's seen a policeman and all the watch sellers have put the covers up and run for the hills ;)

LOL. I've seen that happen :) a big wrap was thrown over the watches I was looking at and they disappeared in a swirl of cloth. Like magic !! :)

JasperB

Dunno what rate you're getting.....but 8000 baht is NOT £160.00 [email protected] .....closer to £185.00 :B):

Probably. But it changes day by day mate. I aint a Bureau de Change so I make no apologies for exchange rate inaccuracies :)