Sign in to follow this  
mbjoer

177H

mbjoer

Quite a while ago Timesshop had a special offer on the 177H.

As I am not much into Panarai (and very mean) I decided that this might be a good introduction to this brand. It seemed reasonably priced at $150.

So now I have it, and I like it. Not to a point where I will get any more Panarais, and not to a point where I would spend serious money to get a better one. Generally I do not look for reps to be 100%, as long as they are plausible to the general world outside the rep-fora.

But I am interested to hear your comments about this one, so that I can learn a bit more about it. It is always useful to know what the tells are, and entertaining to get the minute analysis and scrutiny watches are given here. So feel free!!

My overall impression is that this is a well made rep of a relatively simple watch. I like the dial and the movement, was pleased to note that the strap was made of leather (even though I might change it one day) and I feel that it is wearable as it is. Certainly good value in that case.

So here goes for you lot to chew it to bits....:

The watch:

067.jpg

The movement:

061.jpg

Case back engravings:

065.jpg

Crown and guard. I am not so keen on the lever and wonder if that can be fixed. Others have mentioned that the crown is wrong, but I cannot see it, to tell me...:

070.jpg

021.jpg

Buckle:

026.jpg

Wristie:

010.jpg

Wristie with reflections:

017.jpg

dingle

the crown guard and crown need some work. May I suggest houndoggie :P...and it needs a vintage strap from Bob Bean!

Thanks for posting MB :lmao2:

AllergyDoc

I know what you mean by Panerai. The plainness of the design grows on you. I can't comment on the accuracy as I don't care a lot for those details. Only bit of advice I can give is, a nice strap makes a huge difference in how you feel about the watch.

greg_r

Shame about the CG lever not being flush. I'd be tempted to try and get another CG if it was mine (or re-shape the existing lever - but beware as it might be hard to match the finish on the bit you've reshaped), I'd also flatten the CG pin (see HERE) and change the strap for something higher quality (Bob Bean is your man there).

There would still be plenty of tells, but at $150 who cares! It's not likely you'll come across anybody who actually knows what a Panerai is anyhow :P

Some people get far too anal about their PAMs, and frankly life is too flippin' short :lmao2:. You've got a decent watch for what you paid, so enjoy it! Buy a good Fiddy next (talk to PrestigeWatchCo) :rofl:

scope

Great pics again. What are you shooting with?

gorholio

Canon DIGITAL IXUS 50 i believe (that's what the pictures' properties told me)... cool watch pics mbjoer btw! :P I've been saving for my first panerai... still undecided which one...

mbjoer
Canon DIGITAL IXUS 50 i believe (that's what the pictures' properties told me)... cool watch pics mbjoer btw! :D I've been saving for my first panerai... still undecided which one...

LOL.... WOW, I am impressed. You are right about that camera. Not new, not sophisticated, but the one I have....

Good luck with your purchase. I found Panerei very difficult to jump into because the fora has such passionate Paneristas that it seemed almost a must to spend $ 1,000 to buy a rep. Unfortunately I am not prepared to do so, and thus ended up with this one.

Do I regret it? No! I am totally unlikely to meet anyone who knows even a fraction of what the members here do. So for daily usage it will be fine.

I will get another strap though. Still have to work out which one.

dingle
Canon DIGITAL IXUS 50 i believe (that's what the pictures' properties told me)... cool watch pics mbjoer btw! :D I've been saving for my first panerai... still undecided which one...

LOL.... WOW, I am impressed. You are right about that camera. Not new, not sophisticated, but the one I have....

Good luck with your purchase. I found Panerei very difficult to jump into because the fora has such passionate Paneristas that it seemed almost a must to spend $ 1,000 to buy a rep. Unfortunately I am not prepared to do so, and thus ended up with this one.

Do I regret it? No! I am totally unlikely to meet anyone who knows even a fraction of what the members here do. So for daily usage it will be fine.

I will get another strap though. Still have to work out which one.

MB--check out Bob Bean for the straps in his section here. Nicest I have seen. :lmao2: