Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Rotary 702C in Rose Gold

greg_r

Just picked this up yesterday.

I've long been a fan of Rotary - having owned several of their higher-quality models as well as a few of their cheaper watches. They're always very well built, reliable and with a quality feel to them. We have a Rotary AD locally, run by a guy I know fairly well (He drinks in my local and I've fixed his computers on several occasions) - so if there's ever anything I want, I can usually get it at wholesale prices.

Anyhow, I'd lately been thinking that I wanted a Cartier Santos - or something of that style. I'd looked at various reps as well as a few homages and had come to realise that the cheapies wouldn't satisfy me at all - it was going to have to be one of the better quality versions. Then I stumbled across the Rotary 700 series. It's not quite a copy of the Santos, but has a very similar dial and overall shape. It's available in two sizes, 37mm & 40mm and three finishes - rose gold, stainless steel and titanium. List price is £285 (around $440) but I knew I could get one a lot cheaper than that.

Anyhow, I placed an order and picked this up yesterday. It's the 702c model (40mm/rose gold) and I'm really impressed with the build quality - it looks and feels like a MUCH more expensive watch. Being rectangular, 40mm width means that it wears fairly big - about as large as a 47mm Radiomir. It's an automatic running a Rotary Calibre RE2008-1 movement (apparently a slightly modified Seagull ST16) with a 21,600 beat rate and came well packaged in the standard watchbox that Rotary use for all of their high-end models.

The dial is a beautiful chocolate brown with rose gold Roman numerals. There's a date window at 6. There's no lume on the dial, for obvious reasons, but the hands have much better lume than I'd expected, being both bright and fairly long-lasting. The crystal is sapphire and there's an interesting display back where the date of the founding of the company is cut into the back and you can just see the movement (which is undecorated) through the numerals. The watch is fitted with a high quality Santos-style croco strap and Rotary's standard deployant buckle and is extremely comfortable on the wrist.

Overall, this is even better than I'd hoped; I'm kinda blown away by how nice this is for the money - even at RRP it's good value, but at the price I paid, it's stunning. I'm semi-tempted to buy a second one - in SS this time - but we'll see how much wrist time this one gets first. I've a feeling it might well be a keeper... but I've said that before :huh:

Anyhow, enough of the drivel - here's the pics.

rotary702c_1.jpg

rotary702c_back.jpg

rotary702c_buckle.jpg

rotary702c_wrist.jpg

oscarmadfish

yeah i like that greg

madcatlancelot

Wow that's very nice, way better than the rep Cartier Santos that I previously got!

I wonder where can I get that here in Singapore.... hmmmm

GC

ohhhhhh....I like that very much!

Not a fan of gold but the RG with that brown dial STUNNING!!!!

That cool case back and the 1895 cut out to see partial movt',

G you got a keeper their, no two ways about it!

Silverspeed

Oooooooh my.....that looks good

that is one classy watch

greg_r

Well, it's your fault I bought it - every time you post that Santos, I want one. :lol:

Hoping this will reduce the urge to splurge $1600 ;)

Silverspeed

always happy to help :lol:

trailboss99

Nice, and I'm not a square watch man.

Col.

KinCaidk

Looks great, G.

Not the watch I would suspect a hairdresser to be buying though.. but hey, who am I to judge :lol:

greg_r

I realise you won't be buying one - it's certainly too manly for a gay viking...

kinky-the-gay-viking.jpg

sconehead

Nice watch G...you sure it'll match your favourite attire though?

Greg_r.jpg

:lol:

KinCaidk

;)

I was just thinking of something witty to post..

But I think Sconey already posted more than enough :lol:

greg_r

Beats the hell out of yours... although pink is definitely your colour...

monkeyoutfit.jpg

:lol:

sconehead

monkeyoutfit.jpg

;)

Now that's an evil looking monkey... :lol:

KinCaidk

Seriously though... It looks very good! (the watch that is - not the gay viking, the grey guy or the monkey)

I'm even tempted myself . . . (Again - THE WATCH!!)

greg_r

hahaha - yes, it's unfeasibly good for the dough. I'm really pleased with it (yes, everyone - I mean the watch too! :lol:)

dingle

monkeyoutfit.jpg

:P

midget monkeys?

;):rofl: :rofl:

nice watch G ;)

greg_r
midget monkeys?

You forget - he came here from RWI :P

greg_r
After seeing your post, I have been keeping an eye out for a "bargain" and just pulled the trigger on the Bay on the 702C.

Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotary-Editions-Series...0#ht_1782wt_936

Congrats - a decent price for a very nice watch - mine is definitely a keeper ;). Good trader too - I've bought from them before.