Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Longines Hydroconquest chrono (gen) - a belated review.

greg_r

Y'know, I only just realised that I've not yet posted a review of one of my all-time favourite watches - the one I tend to wear more often than any other these days.

I'd been wanting one of these for at least 3-4 years. Oddly, the first time I saw one it was a photo of the rep (still available from Josh) and I just thought it looked more interesting than most other dive watches.

I'm talking about the Longines Hydroconquest chrono.

Of course I considered just buying the rep Hydro, but there are a few issues: the rep originally came out in late 2008 and was considered a 'super-rep' at the time. However, by current standards it's flawed - notably the hour hand is incorrect, the '12' stands a little too proud from the dial and the lume infill for the '12' is too far off-white being almost cream coloured (it should be the same colour as the rest of the indices).

On most of my reps, these sorts of of minor flaws don't usually bother me that much, but occasionally there's a watch I get obsessive about. This was one of 'em, so I hesitated... and hesitated...

So anyhow, earlier this year following six months of sheer hell at work, I decided it was time to reward myself for surviving the BS and buy a decent gen again. Out shopping with the wife I happened to notice a dealer that had the Hydro in the window. On impulse I wandered into the shop and asked to try it (no, I wasn't wearing a rep that day - don't panic! ;) ). It just felt "right" the moment I put it on. It's 41mm, but wears larger - it feels about the same size as a DSSD albeit less top-heavy. The bracelet is particularly good - heavier than the Rollie bracelets and probably the most comfortable I've worn.

I didn't buy it then and there (partly because they wanted me to pay full list price, which is against my religion ;) ) but managed to get hold of one at a hefty discount not too long after...

So, enough drivel. Pics! :D

longines_wbox.JPG

longineshydro.JPG

longines_w2_110513.JPG

conx

:clap:

Love it ! As you know I have a Longines fetish as well, owning 2 gen (non-chrono) HydroConquests. I have to agree they are a fantastic buy.

Congrats Greg!

greg_r

Thanks mate :)

scorpion

Very very nice but tsk...no rear shot, i alway like a rear shot and no lume shot either or mention of lume.

You are not related to Rolex Rudy are you Greg, too short and sweet we need more shots, more about its movement.

1%20cool%20shades.gif

Thiepac

C'est très beau! Bravo pour l'achat! (just saying in french that it's an awesome watch! :giggle: )

greg_r

Very very nice but tsk...no rear shot, i alway like a rear shot and no lume shot either or mention of lume.

You are not related to Rolex Rudy are you Greg, too short and sweet we need more shots, more about its movement.

1%20cool%20shades.gif

:finger:

I mentioned the bracelet. It's wonderful - probably the most comfortable I've had.

There's not a lot of lume, sadly, it's the watch's only real failing.

As for more shots, well, given that it's taken me about two months to get this far, you're lucky you got any shots at all! :lol:

scorpion

1%20cool%20shades.gif

:finger:

I mentioned the bracelet. It's wonderful - probably the most comfortable I've had.

There's not a lot of lume, sadly, it's the watch's only real failing.

As for more shots, well, given that it's taken me about two months to get this far, you're lucky you got any shots at all! :lol:

I already edited my comment about the bracelet!

Well there is only one thing for it Greg, you better send it over to me so I can give it a proper review and lots of photos.

I will give it back once done, it'll only take a few years or so.

1 grin.gif

greg_r

:lol:

Looks like your edit happened just before I hit the quote button but just after I'd read your post.

Del

Very nice! :thumbsup2:

Reminds me a bit of a black dial Chopard GTXL chrono!

TheSav

Lovely looking watch Greg. There is one in the window at my local that keeps catching my eye too. If you don't mind me asking, how many VIP's had to sign up to the forum for you to be able to afford it? :P

Kleen™

Big-it-up for Greg...:-)

greg_r

Lovely looking watch Greg. There is one in the window at my local that keeps catching my eye too. If you don't mind me asking, how many VIP's had to sign up to the forum for you to be able to afford it? :P

Um... cheeky bastard. :lol: ALL the money made from VIP upgrades goes back into the board. None of the staff make a penny out of this place - as you should know by now! Any surplus we make over and above our fairly considerable expenses each year goes either into our emergency fund or back to the membership by way of a good star prize in the birthday bash each November. Was a gen Victorinox last year and a Hamilton the year before that. Who knows what it will be this year...? ;)

Having said that, well let's just say that I got a pretty worthwhile chunk of dough off the usual £1240 RRP on this watch. ;)

HeavyKrush

Sweet looking watch Greg. Longines is for sure on my short list for a gen.

greg_r

Sweet looking watch Greg. Longines is for sure on my short list for a gen.

They're fine watches and great value :)

Knackeringham

Great pics too Greg!

solkryssare

Congrats G. You deserve it mate :)

sconehead

Nice watch G...I predict Kink will be mucho jealous...:D

Mazz

Nice watch G...I predict Kink will be mucho jealous... :D

Why it catches fire?

P4GTR

My aunt used to work for Longines for a long time. She has had only good things to say.

tzsteve

Lovely watch..I think id prefer this to a Rolex or omega...