Sign in to follow this  
Glockenklang

A solar Seiko to tide me over...

Glockenklang

While waiting for my first rep to arrive (a Tag Heuer Mikrotimer Flying 1000), my birthday arrived, and I couldn't resist picking up a little something to bring along on a backpacking trip to Cape Cod - something durable and no-nonsense, that I wouldn't have to worry about winding. I picked up this Seiko solar chronograph on Amazon (Seiko SSC081).

Whaddya think?

8736001764_99340ae9b4_b.jpg

I camped out on the beach on a moist spring night, and found it fogged up in the morning, which was less than pleasing:

8736002348_96f4c88bb4_b.jpg

This happen to any of you?

It hasn't fogged up since, and other than that, I'm quite pleased with it. Love the solar powered aspect.

Chairman7w

Oh dang! That's hot! I really like the look of it, great strap for it, too. Gratz. Wear it well.

myaz

Love how they did the 6 & 12. Agreed on the condensation, much less than pleasing.

scorpion

Nice watch. Unsure on mist, my Mrs gets it on some watches she leaves in the shower but never seen it on any of my gens. Thing is if its solar then there is no battery to be replaced so it should have never been opened up. Maybe it got through one of the o rings on the pusher. I would be concerned about it being Water Resistant - maybe get it tested if you plan to swim in it or if it fails a test send it back under warranty.

SSTEEL

Congrats, I'm a bit of a Seiko guy too myself :)

not_finbar

Nice watch, but i had the condensation thing on my Timex running watch and it died shortly afterwards. Sorry.

Pihlippe

Congrats it's a nice watch,have one Seiko coming my way soon.

The condensation is not good, get it checked, before it's to late.

Glockenklang

Thanks for the advice! I was gonna just live with the condensation, but it sounds like, for a solar watch, there's really no reason for it. Will explore what my warranty return options are.

Also, can anyone recommend where to pick up a nice alternate strap? Lots of the strapmakers listed here make beautiful leather stuff that caters to Panerai, but I'm not sure how I'd go about fitting something to this Seiko. Please advise, this is all new to me!

myaz

Got 3 measurements to consider: width at the lugs, width at the buckle and length. A 24/22 125/75 strap would start 24mm wide and taper to 22mm at the buckle, other measurements being the length. Your watch may or may not need a handmade beauty like our TDs can put out. For an inexpensive alternative, Google watch straps or look at a site such as panatime.com. I've gotten several there, very reasonable.

Glockenklang

Thanks Myaz. Learning all the time.

So here's a puzzler, at least for my newly horological brain: how do I remove the strap?

8737303570_81fe29b63d_b.jpg

8737305948_173fbc3166_b.jpg

Can't see how I would access the pins...

Mazz

NIce Seiko

get that condensation checked out it might corrode something inside.

You need to get a spring bar removal tool between the lugs and the strap no big deal easy

Gbkirsch

That condensation is very strange. Hope you get it sorted! Luck...

TheInthusiest

Oh my got that is nice! Im a pretty big seiko fan myself! Gotta have it!

Glockenklang

A spring bar removal tool... you learn something new every day. Thanks Mazz!

myaz

Here's the business end of mine. Apparently chipped but works fine

DSCF9369_zps7e3d01b3.jpg

As Mazz said, engages the springbar between lugs. (A little circumferential rib on the springbar keeps the tool from slipping, you'll understand after you remove it)

DSCF9374_zps88fc4f4a.jpg

snacksteve

Nice watch- when's the Rep coming out? lol :giggle: