Sign in to follow this  
Libertatia

paypal, outside of ebay, need advise

Libertatia

hi,

I bought a gen rolex box from ebay. saw it, pm'd about a buy it now price. he agreed, but instead of changing the item to ''buy it now'', he told me to do it outside of ebay because he changed a listing before to buy it now and he was let down. anyway, i paid him via paypal, using goods and services. in the description, i said gen rolex box, auction ended early, determined price blah blah, with a link to the item. payment sent, everything is ok. i go back to the link, and i find ''this listing has been removed''. now i can't actually see the listing, and the deal was done outside of ebay, will i be covered if he decides not to send or the item isnt genuine?

please tell me what you think?

best,

papabear

RichardMiami

report the entire transaction to eBay anyway.

nev848

Don't think you will be covered through EBay but you should be ok with Paypal if it does not turn up.

He may just have removed it from eBay so that he does not incur any eBay sales fees.

Libertatia

this was the listing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321125393908?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

the listing id is still there, so technically it still exists???

I shall to report to ebay like richardmiami said, just to make them aware..... but then how do people do transactions outside of ebay then with genuine stuff?

fatarms

Just my opinion, but the whole thing sounds fishy as hell... I'm hoping for the best for you, but there are a couple red flags there. Best of luck, friend.

Libertatia

But I thought I would be totally fine..... When I chose goods and services, it said....

Eligibility Requirements

• Claims can only be made for physical goods that can be posted and are not prohibited
  • Buyers must raise a dispute within 45 days of a single PayPal payment for the full price of the item. If no satisfactory response is received from the seller, a claim must be filed within 20 days of raising the dispute
  • Buyers cannot make multiple claims on the same payment
  • Please note that if the seller has accurately described an item, but you’re just not happy with it, that doesn’t qualify for Purchase Protection
  • Other eligibility requirements apply. See terms and conditions

Wriggles

Once you didn't pay as gift in paypal there is some coverage, as you've pointed out in the eligibility extract.

It doesn't look great, but maybe the seller had a good reason to remove the listing info.

I've never had to have to open a dispute on such a case, but I know it's always better to make the purchase through ebay and not outside of ebay. As to why this is if you still use Paypal I'm not sure.

I would wait and see what happens, keep in contact with the seller asking about delivery etc. I presume you at least agreed tracked and insured shipping?

Indigo38

He may just have removed it from eBay so that he does not incur any eBay sales fees.

+1

Higs

If it turns up, all good.

If it doesn't turn up, report to PayPal and get money back.

sgtguk

Had this before with several sellers and not had a problem, they simply remove the listing to stop the sellers fees thus free advertising for them, makes your arse twitch though I must admit :suck: always came through with the goods mind !

TheSav

I wouldn't go so far as to report it to eBay just yet. It won't help your cause anyway. You have 45 days to raise a dispute with paypal should you need to. As mentioned, it is more than likely a seller using a loophole to save a few dollars on fees. Give it time and see what happens before jumping to conclusions.

Libertatia

i'm trying to ring paypal to get their point of view.... takes so damn long... my arse is twitching, so annoying that someone could potentially rip you off. he did have 433 feedback, 100% positive, but simply because its outside of ebay and i keep thinking about it it just seems fishy...... so it could all just be me being paranoid :S ..... will keep you updated

Edited by papabear

Higs

i'm trying to ring paypal to get their point of view....

What do you expect PayPal to do?

You are dealing with this guy outside of Ebay so whether he removed the listing or not is not relevant.

Do you have any reason to suspect he won't go through with his end?

Baldrick

Give the guy a chance FFS......it's waaaayyy too early to be pulling Ebay / PP into the equation.....as others have said....he's prolly pulled it down to negate the fees.....f'kn relax.....sheesh......"where's my spy camera".... :facepalm:

Libertatia

sorry for the over hypage

sgtguk

sorry for the over hypage

Don't apologize mate, we have all been there at some stage in the game.........relax and take a deep breath.......you'll be fine.......

BaggyPants

When that shows, it usually means that ebay have pulled it, not the seller. If a seller removes an item, it remains but has a message saying "the seller ended this item because …….". Lots of dodgy fake Rolex boxes on ebay. Are you sure it was gen and not a fake that someone has reported?

DG335

Just wait..you can't raise a dispute for 10 days anyway I thought and you'll be protected via PayPal. PayPal is owned by eBay but its not exclusively for them. Provided you ticked the goods and specified what it was on PayPal you will be covered.

scorpion

Guess he didn't want to pay ebay their 10% cut. ebay must be making an absolute fortune.

1 dollars.gif

dalboy

Patience is a virtue !!

Not sure you can buy it on Ebay though ....Give the man a chance ..too early to cry wolf..

Dal.

DejaWho

I agree. I don't see a reason to be alarmed yet. I think you're ok.

As mentioned above ... He probably asked you to pay outside of ebay so he can save on the seller fees.

Good luck.

Dr_Rolex

I think you should be ok. I bought my gen rolex box this way because the seller and i renegotiated his asking price. Paypal should cover you but ebay wont since its outside their domain, and they stress not to do deals outside of ebay. Just relax and have the watch looked at by an expert when you get it....and if its not legit, cry first...then sue the bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :choke:

RussP

Be patient.

You do have 45 days to cry foul with PayPal.

I'd raise the issue with them by the time 30 days pass just in case.

30 days is enough time to give the seller an opportunity to 'come good'.

Any longer, especially if he's incommunicado, means something's very wrong.

In the interim, have a coldie and relax.

Russ.

lespaulpaf

Paypal is protected too.... I bought a $4500 motorcycle aside from ebay using paypal.... You'll be fine dont worry.

Also... if you have a problem... Paypal goes directly to personal email... generally.

Edited by lespaulpaf

narikaa

The last thing you need to be doing is alerting FeeBay that the two of you swindled them out of their fees contrary to the rules

;)