Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

Photo & Videos on page 2 - Just been practising on a 21J Breitling, and chuffed with myself

SSTEEL

Yes, I had to share, what a feeling it is when you successfully carry out some work on a watch :D

Removed movement from case fine. Removing the stem was quite easy, and I could feel the spring resistance in the release button whilst depressing.

Removed all hands, just hour, minute, second hand.

Corrected a date wheel misprint.

Then replaced dial, hands, cleaned up dial, and checked everything, making sure the hands did not catch anywhere, and all was good. Fitted back in the case, and admired my work.

The refitting of the hands was the most tricky with no actual feedback of when a hand was fully home. Having the correct tools certainly helped matters.

Just had to share as I'm well chuffed with myself, and thought I would do all of the above a few times before I go anywhere near my Swiss ETA 7750 for my Carrera project.

Edited by SSTEEL

WARBOT

Well done but I don't see any pics?

How are we to share in your glory? Lol!!

SSTEEL

I know I know, I was just telling the wife, and said, damn, I never took any photos! I will take some the next time I strip it down, and put back together. I will add them in this thread as and when I do :)

Kcore

Hearty CONGRATS Micky!!!

I'm still taking baby steps :giggle:

SSTEEL

Best way mate, slowly does it, if you don't feel comfortable, pace yourself.

RichardMiami

I know I know, I was just telling the wife, and said, damn, I never took any photos! I will take some the next time I strip it down, and put back together. I will add them in this thread as and when I do :)

Not acceptable. This post does not meet RWG Standards. Please go back and do it all over again and take pics!

;) Just teasing ya mate. Good job!

WARBOT

Well congrats anyways!!!

SSTEEL

Cheers guys, I will be carrying this out again later, or tomorrow, so this time I will get plenty of photos to add to this thread :)

LightGeek

Surrrrreee you did.

Odyseus

Try stripping the movement down this time :-)

deathnote
:ttiwwop: :ttiwwop: :ttiwwop: :ttiwwop:

conx

Which tools did you actually use? I know you have a full toolkit, but which ones were necessary for this work?

jerkstore

Attaboy! Looking forward to the pics.

Which tools did you actually use? I know you have a full toolkit, but which ones were necessary for this work?

Caseback: Sticky ball or jaxa

Remove stem: tweezers

Movement tabs: screwdrivers

Hold screws: tweezers

Protect dial: dial protector and finger cots/ gloves

Remove hands: levers, presto, etc

Pick up hands: rodico or plastic tweezers

Remove dial: screwdriver

Movement work: screwdrivers and tweezers

To put it back together, go in reverse. Use rodico to clean up the dial. Then use it to place the hands while you set them with a hands presser. A movement pad and watch paper are optional.

Edited by jerkstore

SSTEEL

Tools pretty much above that jerkstore posted. Crazy username that one lol ;)

The 21J was housed in a plastic holder, so no tools needed to remove from case one stem removed.

I noticed that the hands presser in the RWG tool kit didn't work so well with the hour, and minute hands refitting due to the cannon pinion for these was a little bigger, so used these.. (Bottom threee items in photo). Got sent them from a friend in the US.

8741985224_6a76b606b3_b.jpg

Also used the small movement holder from the RWH kit TOO.

8741985898_0aa23bab70_b.jpg

Surrrrreee you did.

Scouts honour.

Try stripping the movement down this time :-)

21J aint work it, but I will do for learning at some point.

:ttiwwop: :ttiwwop: :ttiwwop: :ttiwwop:

I know, will do the same tomorrow, but this time you all will get photos :) And a video before and after of the movement working ;)

Edited by SSTEEL

jerkstore
I noticed that the hands presser in the RWG tool kit didn't work so well with the hour, and minute hands refitting due to the cannon pinion for these was a little bigger, so used these.. (Bottom threee items in photo). Got sent them from a friend in the US.

8741985224_6a76b606b3_b.jpg

Trying to find pressers like these, myself. I can't find them on the internets. My problem might be that I don't know their technical name. Any help?

SS: race you to a (virgin) disassembly?

Edited by jerkstore

SSTEEL

They are made in India if it helps.

Just had a quick search on eBay, and found these...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d3dee0b7a

Im getting too old for racing lol. I will strip the 21J down one day, but for not, I will repeat what I did today in prep for my Carrera transplant work I need to do.

Edited by SSTEEL

scorpion
2 NO PICS.jpg:giggle:

jerkstore

I have an asian 6497 on the way from Jackson. Only $35. I think I should be able to follow along with Timezone 1.

I guarantee pics, success or failure. :)

conx

Thanks SSTEEL - it was the hand replacement I was particularly interested in as I was trying to work out if the simple nylon tipped presser was sufficient or if I needed the other type as well - you have answered my question :)

gmchris

Congrats SSTEEL!!

It is a nice feeeling when you have done a sucsessful job. Its the tamagochi effect- that is your baby now lol.

For anyone getting hung up on tools, i did my keyless fix with only this lot:

A pair of rubber gloves (used by the wife lol) for caseback removal

A 99p screwdriver set for general screwing (had to file one extra thin first) and also for levering off hands and used one each side for resetting hands

A dial protector made from chocolate wrapper plastic (blue bounty bar i recall)

A 99p putty eraser for picking up/placing down everything and dial cleaning

A £1.49 10x loupe to see with.

I should buy the tools but i kinda like working on a shoestring - after all, i was repairing an £11 movement here!

SSTEEL

Cheers gm :) Photos to come later when I carry out the strip down, and rebuild again ;)

JohnPilot

Good to practise. Its awful how much you can learn. Just never give up.

SSTEEL

So true John. I have to go out the house soon, but when back I will start over and provide those pics this time ;)

paulc

welldone man, tis sure a good feeling when it goes back together and works :)

sgtguk

Well done mate, good on ya ! I've done one myself so far but putting the hands back on always freaks me out :suck: