Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

Photo & Videos on page 2 - Just been practising on a 21J Breitling, and chuffed with myself

SSTEEL

Ok guys, just for you, heres some photos from today. In this instance I uncased the movement, removed the hands, and refit the hands, and then replaced in the case. Time elapsed from start to finish, an impressive 10 minutes :) Just to note, this 21J don't have a hacking movement.

Video of working movement before work..

th_SANY0549_zpsf9e0ea0e.jpg

SANY0550_zpsca902fa7.jpg

SANY0551_zps365e37bf.jpg

SANY0552_zps4ccd7ff9.jpg

SANY0553_zps5c93522e.jpg

SANY0554_zps3a0465ac.jpg

Refitting hands..

SANY0555_zps599f8840.jpg

SANY0556_zps8b686d22.jpg

SANY0558_zps9afedf70.jpg

SANY0559_zps8d745581.jpg

SANY0560_zpsa40a117f.jpg

And final video showing all is working :)

th_SANY0561_zps1756fec5.jpg

SSTEEL

welldone man, tis sure a good feeling when it goes back together and works :)

Sure is mate.

Well done mate, good on ya ! I've done one myself so far but putting the hands back on always freaks me out :suck:

I know what you mean, its really tricky, and difficult with a loupe in one hand. Looking forward to my work bench light magnifier arriving, which should make close up work so much easier.

hacker2

Watch smith in the making??? Congratulations, cheers for the pics!

SSTEEL

You are welcome, I will be doing this a few times before I work on my franken Carrera, but right now I am waiting for my hands press, and bench magnifier to turn up.

J.Eric

Awesome Job!!

Good Work!!

SSTEEL

Cheers, quite chuffed, it was a lot easier second time round. The most time consuming is replacing the second hand. Need to invest in the Magnifier headset me thinks.

J.Eric

I built a loop holder head gear thing like the pros use, but I used a metal coat hanger instead.

051613130034_zpse6b6661c.jpg

051613130051_zpsca502d55.jpg

LightGeek

Awesome! Last night I spent almost 4 hours changing the date wheel overlay on a GMT IIc. Needless to say I learned a lot...

Dumspiro

Thats impressive..

I bolluxed up a springbar in a strap and fixed that today :getcoat:

SSTEEL

I built a loop holder head gear thing like the pros use, but I used a metal coat hanger instead.

Thanks mate, but still a problem for me wearing glasses, unless your creation holds the loupe in front of your eyeglasses ?

LightGeek

Thanks mate, but still a problem for me wearing glasses, unless your creation holds the loupe in front of your eyeglasses ?

I take off my glasses when using the loupe. Are you far sighted?

SSTEEL

No, I'm short sighted strangely enough, but really struggle with micro sized objects.

J.Eric

I actually never tried the loupe with with my glasses. They generally stay in the car for driving, so they never make it to

to my workbench. Actually, I am gonna try it out..................

J.Eric

Yes it fits over my glasses, but doesn't make much of a difference since I am near-sighted? :giggle:(I can never remember the difference)

Hazz

Good work my man, proud of ya !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LightGeek
Yes it fits over my glasses, but doesn't make much of a difference since I am near-sighted? :giggle:(I can never remember the difference)

Near sighted. Fuzzy far.

Fat sighted. Fuzzy close.

SSTEEL

Cheers guys, its all a learning curve, and a recommended process for everyone to work on a cheap watch first before venturing onto your projects.

@LG correct on the differences in short, and long sighted. I have ordered one of those head gear magnifiers, so will see how I get on with that for now.

TheSav

Nice work. Placing the hands troubles me too I've practiced on a cheap movement but my fat fingers don't help. I'd be interested in how your headset works for you as I may try one too.

I think j.erics creation belongs in the "trust me, I'm an engineer" thread :)

SSTEEL

Feeling confident I decided to take a look at my late grandfathers Sekonda, which has never worked since he passed.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the balance wheel, and hair spring were damaged somehow, no idea how, but knowing my grandad, I guess he tried to fix it, but failed lol.

So, in knowing this, and having looked for replacements, my searches yield no results, (apart from this similar functioning Sekonda on the bay of flees) so decided to do a full strip down, screw by screw, part by part until I got to the caucus/chassis.

It was an unusual watch with two crowns, the one for winding, and time setting, the other for a GMT type hand, but instead of GMT function, it was for an alarm. A mechanical alarm. I remember as a kid my grandad showing me this alarm, and it was like James Bond time hearing it go off. It was a loud unwinding sound.

During stipping the movement down, i found the little weight that caused the vibrating, unwinding sound, and was a real treat learning the inner workings of this watch. Here's a couple of photos.

Photo of hand stack in case I could fix, and put back together..

8747804530_159824c4fe_b.jpg

And here's how I ended up..

8747805088_9aaa735878_b.jpg

In memory of my late grandfather, I shall use the dial on a 21J movement I have spare, and make a homage with it :)

Edited by SSTEEL