Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

The 5 hour date wheel overlay swap... or how I replicated a BK in 6 hours.

LightGeek

This mini project started as... factory rep Rolex date wheel fonts suck so I'm going to improve it for my keepers. Just about every single date rep Rolex I've had/seen has a pathetic thin date font. I've been through 4-5 different GMT IIc and kept the BK primarily because the date wheel font is fantastic. Could I do better? I ordered a bunch of TC DWO to find out. The TC DWO is cheaper than the BK and in some respects, you get what you pay for. I believe the BK looks better (perhaps not more gen but better).

Both the TC and BK DWO will only work in 40mm Rolexes.

I started this at about 12:30AM...

9e3ynuha.jpg

ejuseha4.jpg

Uneventful de-casing. I like to work on a large, thin microfiber cloth.

myhahubu.jpg

Picture of the hand stack in case I forget while falling asleep.

3azeqeqy.jpg

Par for the course.

a8yvesa9.jpg

The backside of dials is always so crappy.

ututyzed.jpg

Now we're getting somewhere...

LightGeek

va4anete.jpg

TC vs "factory" date wheel.

uzytytuq.jpg

There is a tiny little spring holding the date wheel in place. I spent LOTS of time with this spring.

3abujata.jpg

Notice with the overlay on, the spring is completely obscured. This means if (and when) the date wheel pops off while you're trying to adjust the perfect fit, you need to have some extreme finesse to get it back on with the overlay intact -- or remove the overlay and start over. I spent I don't know how long at this part.

pedypada.jpg

I thought I was nearly done and you can see this is the crystal removal part.

ruzy7ete.jpg

Mother fugging keyless. Just when EVERYTHING appears to be ok and I start reassembly and testing, the keyless is botched. I de-case the entire thing and essentially start from scratch. To get to the keyless, I have to remove the date wheel... ay. At least reassembling the keyless is a piece of cake (as some have noted). More frucking with the date wheel spring, DWO position, etc. It's probably about 3:30AM at this point. I should verify using the pic EXIF data.

e5y8umyn.jpg

LightGeek

e9esumy6.jpg

I hate the bare engraved clasp so I do my Super Permanent Sharpie mod.

jagepy3y.jpg

Upgrade to beefier spring bars. It holds ROCK SOLID now with absolutely no end link play.

a3y7ejy7.jpg

Mandatory bracelet spa treatment (ultrasonic bath + baby oil soak). By the time I'm done, it's about 4AM.

Here is the result of the swap. All the pictures are in the order of:

FACTORY

BK

TC

GEN

a3u3agy4.jpg

zeqy4uny.jpg

enaruzu2.jpg

jyqe3emu.jpg

LightGeek

Here is the result of the swap. All the pictures are in the order of:

FACTORY

BK

TC

GEN

ysebejyr.jpg

amu6e5en.jpg

gerymu7y.jpg

je8usugu.jpg

(if you have a good gen "28" pic, feel free to post in)

Wait, that's only 4 hours you say? Of course. Today when I was doing final inspection, I notice a TINY little hair or something clipped between the crystal. There was also some dust on the crystal near the cyclops. I de-case the whole thing and reclean... twice. Almost an hour later, it's up to my standard and I think I'm finally satisfied enough that I can relinquish the BK version :)

How much time did I budget for this? About 1-2 hours. Was it worth it? Well, there were a fruckload of lessons learned, and I fixed my first keyless so... I guess, yes?

J.Eric

Very Nice!!

Looks Great!

LightGeek

Done.

fatarms

You are a fucking nutbag sometimes, and your threads are ultimately very educational and entertaining as a result :lol: I enjoy the hell out of your mod threads and wish I had your guts to mess with my watches. Well done, bud :thumbsup:

LightGeek

You are a fucking nutbag sometimes, and your threads are ultimately very educational and entertaining as a result :lol: I enjoy the hell out of your mod threads and wish I had your guts to mess with my watches. Well done, bud :thumbsup:

Last night was... ok date wheel on FUCKING SPRING ok date wheel back on adjust good ok dial back on FUCKING SPRING reseat date wheel... over and over. Then sprinkled in FUCKING KEYLESS...

TheSav

You must have a lot of patience LG and some talent to boot. The date wheel certainly looks a lot better. I know I would have been able to do that let alone have the patience to spend 5 hours on it. Nice work. Must be time for some sleep now though.

flyr

Good one Geek, enjoyable as always and very educational ! I'm glad you get to make the mistakes first,I don't feel alone then when I screw up. :stars:

LightGeek

You must have a lot of patience LG and some talent to boot. The date wheel certainly looks a lot better. I know I would have been able to do that let alone have the patience to spend 5 hours on it. Nice work. Must be time for some sleep now though.

It's 1:11AM now... I'm contemplating doing the sub.

I left out a crucial piece in the timeline. I stopped taking pictures when the expletives starting flying near the end.

-----------------------

Refitting the handstack was brutal. For whatever reason, I couldn't get the GMT hand back on properly, or at the right height, not rubbing the hour hand but clearing the markers, etc. I know I spent a good 20 minutes doing and redoing that part.

-----------------------

SSTEEL

Well done brother! Patience you have for sure. I am yet to experience changing a DWO, so your reference photos will certainly come in handy mate, thanks.

LightGeek

Not happy with the little left justify, I de-cases her AGAIN and half an hour later, it's perfect. I'm content enough to sell the BK.

The date is perfect, the etched coronet is perfect, everything is spot on except the rehaut crown and even I'm not OCD enough to go in one more time to fix it, jeopardizing everything else.

So, the lesson is you can get damn close "visually" to a BK, but man, just spend the damn $400 and have it already done for you... Unless you "work at home" like me and have gobs of time and patience :)

The other minor niggle is the date changes at 11:55PM but I'm definitely not messing with the hands as everything is lined up perfectly now.

First TC then BK. Again the TC has nice glossy raised text but I can't capture it well. Can tell in real life though.

utata6es.jpg

4yru2ahe.jpg

It's not crooked! It's the angle of my shot. BKs is off to the right more.

tyzu9ubu.jpg

abyzuhyr.jpg

Both are off just about the same.

a5anedad.jpg

ga8uqyhe.jpg

jerkstore

Well done! New DWO looks sooo much better. And the rehaut crown centering is good enough to leave as is.

Edited by jerkstore

machiavegli

Lightspeed thanks so much for posting this. I've always had a hard time "getting" why a perfect date wheel is so important, all these loupe shots make it all so clear. More money headed out of my wallet I fear...

-Mach

PS for my $ the BK looks best too

LightGeek
Lightspeed thanks so much for posting this. I've always had a hard time "getting" why a perfect date wheel is so important, all these loupe shots make it all so clear. More money headed out of my wallet I fear...

-Mach

PS for my $ the BK looks best too

Light-who? :) BK is good. Now buy it from me in the M2M heh.

LightGeek

Ever since the swap, it's been sitting in the winder (until today). Still going well and hasn't fallen off. This was my first swap and I think I might open her up to shim it higher. Really needs an AR cyclops.

by9u6uta.jpg

flyr

Tempting FATE we are ... :yoda:

1littlegreen

I love it when you push the envelope....always get a smile

HeavyKrush

Awesome Job Light. And at 3:00 am no less.

J!m

Nice work-

"The devil is in the details..."