Sign in to follow this  
kenanalkadi

How to recognize a good rep

kenanalkadi

Hi Guys,

I am new to the rep world and I have been doing some serious research for the past few days. I have seen youtube videos showing reps that are really close to the real thing. From the look to the weight to the feel... etc... (according to the filmmaker)

My problem here is that I am looking for a breitling navitimer. I have seen several sites and several sellers recommended from the trusted seller section on this forum. The issue is that they each have watches from $90 dollars to $400 dollars. Depending on the model.

So I am confused. If I buy a 100 dolalar navitimer am I going to get something that is low quality and feels and looks like a rep? If I go for the model thats 350 dollars am I going to get a really good rep that looks and feels like the real deal.

From all the research ive done I have not been able to answer this question. There are top 10 rep lists all over the place usually with one breitling watch on the list like a bentley... but thats not what I am looking for. I want a navitime. I cant tell from the pics if its going to be a good one or not. I have msgd a few sellers but I am sure they will all reply saying that they have top quality etc.

Is price related? do most sellers have the same quality? totally lost here and would really appreciate some veteran advice.

I am looking for a white/silver faced navitimer from 41 to 44mm with chronographs at the 3, 6 and 9. Everywhere I look the navitimer is selling for 100 to 130. The Bentleys are going for 300 or so. Does that mean the bentley is better quality and I should stick to a bentley.

My number one criteria is the weight and look of the watch. I cant have anyone tell that its a fake. And trust me, I work in a field full of watch connoisseurs that will spot a fake from a mile.

Thanks guys,

Kenan

madcatlancelot
Hi Guys,

I am new to the rep world and I have been doing some serious research for the past few days. I have seen youtube videos showing reps that are really close to the real thing. From the look to the weight to the feel... etc... (according to the filmmaker)

My problem here is that I am looking for a breitling navitimer. I have seen several sites and several sellers recommended from the trusted seller section on this forum. The issue is that they each have watches from $90 dollars to $400 dollars. Depending on the model.

So I am confused. If I buy a 100 dolalar navitimer am I going to get something that is low quality and feels and looks like a rep? If I go for the model thats 350 dollars am I going to get a really good rep that looks and feels like the real deal.

From all the research ive done I have not been able to answer this question. There are top 10 rep lists all over the place usually with one breitling watch on the list like a bentley... but thats not what I am looking for. I want a navitime. I cant tell from the pics if its going to be a good one or not. I have msgd a few sellers but I am sure they will all reply saying that they have top quality etc.

Is price related? do most sellers have the same quality? totally lost here and would really appreciate some veteran advice.

I am looking for a white/silver faced navitimer from 41 to 44mm with chronographs at the 3, 6 and 9. Everywhere I look the navitimer is selling for 100 to 130. The Bentleys are going for 300 or so. Does that mean the bentley is better quality and I should stick to a bentley.

My number one criteria is the weight and look of the watch. I cant have anyone tell that its a fake. And trust me, I work in a field full of watch connoisseurs that will spot a fake from a mile.

Thanks guys,

Kenan

Hi Kenan,

Welcome to the forum, a nice Breitling navitimer should have an Asian7750 mechanism running to have a fully functional automatic chrono watch, and not the Asian 21J automatics that has faux chrono. You might want to check out Mary's (from watchinternational, one of the trusted dealers here) Breitling navitimer, this version is in two-tone (goldplated and stainless steel) but i'm sure she can source out a full stainless steel version with white dial for you.

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...mp;hl=navitimer

Robert of PrestigewatchCo should be able to get you a nice Navitimer as well, in fact, I think all of the trusted dealer should be able to get the navi since it's one of the more popular Breitling rep.

Email them a picture of the watch that you're after and you can work out a deal from there.

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...hp?showforum=67

Goodluck on you search.

cheers,

madcatlancelot

Luthier

Kenan, never judge the watch by weight. Cheaper replicas weight is practically the same as most expensive.

The difference is the Movement.

Navitimer for $100-$130 will have no chrono, unless it's Quartz, but you don't want Quartz, right?

So, you pay $120, and you'll get Day/Date/Month on subdials, not chrono.

Real chrono - mostly A7750 movement, that cost about $150 itself, unlike 21J movement for $7, that has no chrono function.

Most top quality factories, that use A7750, usually use better cases/dials too.

kenanalkadi

Ive already contacted Mary from watchinternational and I am waiting to hear back from her.

Luthier... thanks for the info. That clears things up a bit. So basically I dont want the 100 to 150 dollar that arent a7550.

So other than movement, most dealers are going to have the same quality?

graman

Hey there mate...

Good advice from Madcatlancelot.

Mary & Robert are your best pick dealers on this board. They are reliable, well priced and have good QC...meaning they don't drop ship straight out of a warehouse or factory.

Your third option may be Joshua at perfect clones... www.perfect-hour.com

Josh does drop ship, and is a little more expensive, but has a good return policy.

Experience with him from my perspective has always been good, however others on the board have had adverse experiences.

In all, go for Mary or Robert, and as MCL advises, send a pic of what you want.

Choose your dealer, then your watch.

They will look after you.

kenanalkadi

this is what I am looking for

a2332212g533-ss.jpg

phaedo

A couple of issues you will have with that particular model is the date wheel will be sunken, not flush with the dial because of the modification needed to move the chrono around in the 7750 movement; also the navitimers tend not to have very good AR (anti reflection) on the crystal, meaning there will be bad reflections - something that says fake pretty easily on the Breitlings, as they tends to have really good AR in the gen. However, there are people who can recoat the crystal on the forums.

kenanalkadi
A couple of issues you will have with that particular model is the date wheel will be sunken, not flush with the dial because of the modification needed to move the chrono around in the 7750 movement; also the navitimers tend not to have very good AR (anti reflection) on the crystal, meaning there will be bad reflections - something that says fake pretty easily on the Breitlings, as they tends to have really good AR in the gen. However, there are people who can recoat the crystal on the forums.

so I guess its better to go with something like this

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=4631

will look more original.

Luthier

Super Avenger is the best Breitling replica for sure. I bought it from Mary, and I'm very, very happy.

But it's big, 48mm. Order, if you like big watches, it's gorgeous.

If it's too big for you - ask Mary for Skyland Avenger white dial, she has it.

I have it, and it's also great chrono replica, with great AR coating.

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse Kenan :lol:

Member X

Hello :lol:

Welcome to the board!

I would recommend caution if you are buying a replica watch to impress work colleagues who are into their watches and know what to look for in a genuine piece, and therefore what looks wrong on a replica. IMO you should buy a replica watch to please yourself rather than anyone else, and that way if you are happy with the watch you won't mind any flaws it has. :rofl:

May I ask why you are going for a Breitling Bentley or Navitimer? Is that what others are wearing? Is that what others think is a watch that says "I've made it in the world"??

I personally would go for something less expected - something unusual that most people will be unlikely to have heard of or, if they have heard of it, not be so familiar with it as to know what the genuine should look like :rofl:

Have you seen some of the Sinn replicas that are being made? Or the higher-end Panerai replicas? Or the Rolex Submariner being produced by Watchmaker9 (WM9) and put together / quality controlled by BK on the other RWG forum? They're all pretty accurate, although they maybe aren't so expensive as a genuine watch as a Breitling.

Your other option is to only shop for 'super-reps' - the ones that are so accurate to the gen watch that they are virtually impossible to tell apart unless you have them side by side.

One Breitling replica that manages this is the SuperOcean Heritage, in the v2 edition. There's a thread on here with pictures by greg_r, and Mary (WatchInternational) in the dealer section has just listed the blue one. The rubber Ocean Racer strap that the rep comes on is seemingly identical to the gen, and if you buy a gen mesh bracelet for an additional £300 or so, you would have a rep that was virtually indistinguishable from the genuine, plus it would be a great looking piece in itself.

See what you think. I would just be careful buying a replica watch for others, it can only lead to trouble!! lol (Especially if you wear it and start to flash it around!)

joefratguy

you picked the wrong watch for finding a "Super rep" The navitimer is a 7750 layed out in a 7753 configuration. They added gears and therefore the date wheel will be sunken. IT IS A HUUUUUUGE TELL and SCREAMS REPLICA (unless you are sporting a Hublot). SO IMO you should bail on the hopes that the navitimer will fool anyone.

rc42

Another one to shortlist is the Brietling Chronomat Evolution, they really do look good if that's to your taste.

The SA's are really good too but are let down by the steel bracelet which is thinner than it should be and is less comfortable than the gen and also changes the balance of the watch,

The Ocean Racer rubber is both good and bad, its very comfortable and the rubber itself is identical to the gen but the deployant clasp can be hit and miss with the reps (mostly miss) as the build qulaity is quite poor.

If you really want to fool watch enthusiasts you'll probably have to spend extra and go for a franken (a rep with some gen parts) or find the money for a real gen.

As mentioned though, reps are toys for your own enjoyment if you use them to impress others make out that they are genuine then you will likely get called out one day and could be left feeling small.

Having said that, there are reps that are so good that you'd have to take the back off to know for sure, the Sinn and Oversize Graham watches are good examples but there are others.

kenanalkadi
Hello ;)

Welcome to the board!

I would recommend caution if you are buying a replica watch to impress work colleagues who are into their watches and know what to look for in a genuine piece, and therefore what looks wrong on a replica. IMO you should buy a replica watch to please yourself rather than anyone else, and that way if you are happy with the watch you won't mind any flaws it has. :rofl:

May I ask why you are going for a Breitling Bentley or Navitimer? Is that what others are wearing? Is that what others think is a watch that says "I've made it in the world"??

I personally would go for something less expected - something unusual that most people will be unlikely to have heard of or, if they have heard of it, not be so familiar with it as to know what the genuine should look like :D

Have you seen some of the Sinn replicas that are being made? Or the higher-end Panerai replicas? Or the Rolex Submariner being produced by Watchmaker9 (WM9) and put together / quality controlled by BK on the other RWG forum? They're all pretty accurate, although they maybe aren't so expensive as a genuine watch as a Breitling.

Your other option is to only shop for 'super-reps' - the ones that are so accurate to the gen watch that they are virtually impossible to tell apart unless you have them side by side.

One Breitling replica that manages this is the SuperOcean Heritage, in the v2 edition. There's a thread on here with pictures by greg_r, and Mary (WatchInternational) in the dealer section has just listed the blue one. The rubber Ocean Racer strap that the rep comes on is seemingly identical to the gen, and if you buy a gen mesh bracelet for an additional £300 or so, you would have a rep that was virtually indistinguishable from the genuine, plus it would be a great looking piece in itself.

See what you think. I would just be careful buying a replica watch for others, it can only lead to trouble!! lol (Especially if you wear it and start to flash it around!)

My colleagues will know that it is a fake. And I am actually purchasing a gen breitling navi so I am not really worried about what they think. I will be much cooler if I have a fake that they cannot tell from the real deal even though they know its a fake. And I dont really need a watch that says "Ive made it in this world"... thats what my porsche is for ;)

I am going with a breitling because I really like the look of them. Especially the navitimer bracelet. I did wonder if they would be difficult to replicate because of all the details and complexity in these watches.

I want to have the real breitling to wear for important formal events and the rep for sports and outdoors etc.

So what are some examples of these Super-Reps you speak of?

I did look at the super Avenger heritage that is posted by Mary (WatchInternational) and it looks really nice. Not exactly what I am looking for but Its nice. Your suggestion of upgrading the strap to a chain for 300 pounds is pricey. The watch sells for 2500 on overstock dot com. So to spend something close to 700 (about 30% of the gen price) is not really worth it.

Thanks for the feedback, So any examples of super reps?

kenanalkadi
you picked the wrong watch for finding a "Super rep" The navitimer is a 7750 layed out in a 7753 configuration. They added gears and therefore the date wheel will be sunken. IT IS A HUUUUUUGE TELL and SCREAMS REPLICA (unless you are sporting a Hublot). SO IMO you should bail on the hopes that the navitimer will fool anyone.

Thanks for the info... I was slowly coming to the same conclusion.

Member X
I want to have the real breitling to wear for important formal events and the rep for sports and outdoors etc.

Good plan, I believe this is quite common amongst those on the rep boards who actually have the money for gens. (Not me... LoL)

I did look at the super Avenger heritage that is posted by Mary (WatchInternational) and it looks really nice. Not exactly what I am looking for but Its nice. Your suggestion of upgrading the strap to a chain for 300 pounds is pricey. The watch sells for 2500 on overstock dot com. So to spend something close to 700 (about 30% of the gen price) is not really worth it.

You won't buy something for 30% of the price? Gees, you're going to be hard to please... :rofl:;)

The good thing with reps is that if you upgrade with gen parts and then decide to sell, you can usually make most of your money back on the mods if you split the parts out, even if not the watch itself. It's a sad fact that the sum of a watches parts is often more than the actual selling price for the whole watch these days - this is why there are so many rolex parts on ebay, people strip the movement out and sell it for more than they bought they watch, then anything else they can make on top of that by selling the parts is just a bonus...

Thanks for the feedback, So any examples of super reps?

As above, SuperOcean Heritage is a Super-rep on the rubber OR strap. Other ones are the Ebel 1911 Discovery, the different Sinn models that are available, the Super Avenger posted elsewhere on this forum, the WM9/BK Submariner / LV Submariner is very good, the WM9/BK Yachtmaster is so close as to be scary...

Those are just the easily available ones, and I'm sure I've missed more off the list. And that doesn't include frankens, replicas taken apart and rebuilt using genuine parts! These are more personal projects usually but Concepta on the other RWG forum offers IWC 3714 frankens that are near as dammit gen if you go for gen hands, dial, movement, strap...

If you wanted to go franken, one of the easier builds would be a Datejust. You can get everything bar the gen movement for under about £400, then swap in an ETA movement with spacer ring to give it the correct second hand sweep. Probably a bit expensive for you if you don't want to spend even 30% of a gen price, though :D given that gen Datejusts can usually be picked up around £1-1.5k!

Luthier

Don't derail the guy from the right direction!!!

Breitling rocks!!!

kenanalkadi

I decided to go with a Navitimer Heritage 43mm with white face. I spoke to mary and she says she deals with a top quality factory that has the watch with A7750 28800pbh movement and double AR... what do you guys think of that?

I am not really worried about the date being a little sunken... unless its really deep it wont be a problem.

But... I am wondering.... is this watch going to feel and weight the same as the real thing?

Member X

I'm quite sure it will - even some cheap PAM homage watches I've got are properly heavy. Gone are the days where you'd get a lightweight piece of tin that felt about as substantial as a childs toy watch! :tease:

Double AR will be of benefit, even if it's not Gen standard - with a white face watch it doesn't matter so much as the crystal is not as visible against a white background as it is against a darker background.

The 28800 bph is the correct sweep for the gen so there will be no worries on that front.

Mary should send you pictures when she has it so post them here if you want to and you can garner some views on how good it is. It may not be 100% perfect to gen but Mary only tends to use the best suppliers so you'll be unlikely to get better!