Sign in to follow this  
DG335

Rep vs Gen Omega UPO. "Man in street perspective"

DG335

Another opportunity to take a stab at the differences between a common rep and its gen from one of the forums non-experts!. This one isn't an absolute comparison as the Rep comes with SS bracelet an I opted for the Black leather strap on Gen.

Anyway, here's my man in the street assessment of a great Rep vs its Gen brother.

So first up a few shots

IMG_1834_zps8e476ed6.jpg

IMG_1835_zps86b983c2.jpg

IMG_1836_zps622dd8b1.jpg

IMG_1837_zps5d8966d8.jpg

IMG_1839_zpsf55c5d23.jpg

IMG_1840_zps15371b95.jpg

IMG_1841_zps2e7cbd11.jpg

IMG_1843_zps8231931d.jpg

IMG_1844_zps290cd3c3.jpg

IMG_1846_zps88d2404e.jpg

IMG_1848_zps3bac655b.jpg

IMG_1849_zps9018528f.jpg

Overall Appearance

Again, similar to my experience with the Abyss 42mm I couldn't really see much difference in the overall look. The main difference was the noticeable mechanism through the see through back. A closed case would probably have done for me without specs and tools!

1. Unlike the Breitling the cut of the pointers and hour markers is bloody good and even under high magnification they've done a really neat job on the finish.

2. The numbers on the outer bezel are ok but I noticed the 0 at 50/20 is slightly out on the Rep.

3. The outer bezel on the Rep itself appears slightly shiny with Gen being more a matt. The bezel movement is good on the Rep but the Gen feels much more precise and clicks with "better engineering".

4. The pearl on the rep is good but it ain't spot on like the gen.

5. The marking engravings on the back are finer on the Gen and seem cut more precisely although I'm probably a bit picky there.

Lume

Took the lume shot at 45 seconds and not much difference. in fact pearl is slightly brighter on the Rep. Gen seems slightly lighter blue if not brighter.

Strap and Buckle

Not a whole deal of comparison here. I think the SS strap on the Rep is ok but I'll probably swap it out for the orange rubber strap I got free with the Gen. It feels a bit light weight but the lock is great and clicks really well.

Weight

There is no perceptible weight difference.

Accuracy

The Gen came out of the box at +1s/day left on an auto winder. The Rep came from WI doing -1s/day so we'll say thats a draw.

Overall

Got to say that the Rep is brilliant and actually fantastic value when you compare $318 to $4170 but somehow and probably more emotional than anything else, wearing the Gen Omega is special and the rubber strap a must for me over SS.

R1evans

Very nice,quality pics.

chum_2000_uk

The thing that I noticed first was the AR on gen, you just can't see the crystal, it's brilliant. The transition between the polished and brushed parts of the case is so sharp on the gen, along with all other edges, such as the paint on the bezel etc.

As you say though, for the money the workmanship is incredible. Yes you're gonna get some rough edges here and there, but unless you have the two side by side, or are very much into the rep scene, then I think most people would assume gen.

I'd like to see the new CrPO's side by side exactly like this.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

chum_2000_uk

I was working with someone for a few hours the other week who was wearing I think a 45mm PO and without making it too obvious I was trying to work out if it was gen. From what I could tell the pearl looked good (but admittedly this was from a few feet, didn't want to ask to look at his watch). I'm no expert on these, but I know most of the standard tells. Without asking to see the watch, I have to assume it was genuine (it probably was, he was driving a brand new Audi and was a fairly well established project manager).

DG335

Yes, my boss has a Gen sub but has got bored asking where the latest one came from...I travel to Guangzhou and Bangkok every 2 months! However when I bought the Gen Breitling and Omega he still thought they were reps!

TheSav

The biggest difference at first glance for me is the dial. The gen is much darker with the wording being much clearer as well. Always cool to see the, side by side like that. Thanks for posting :)

DG335

Think you're right. It's actually easier to see the difference in poor light

LightGeek

The biggest tell is the person wearing the watch :)

The few orange CrPO I've seen have a nicely centered pearl. Too bad not on your copy :(

jacobarch

Everything looks pretty good except

pearl

Numbers are too dark

and movement.

If they can get those right this would be a fantastic rep.

LeandroBR

pearl

Numbers are too dark

and movement.

Rumor has it that Noob Factory will release a new ceramic PO version soon. Let's hope they can get these things sorted

Edited by leandim

jacobarch

pearl

Numbers are too dark

and movement.

Rumor has it that Noob Factory will release a new ceramic PO version soon. Let's hope they can get these things sorted

we'll see, pearls seem to be an Achilles heal when it comes to rep watches, they can never seem to get it right for some reason.

Im taking bets that Noob will get the spelling right, movement and numbers but will mess up on the pearl and bezel color :P

ShovelnTC

Thanks for going to the trouble, rep looks like a great job for the cost.

Cheers, Mark.

the_art_of_luv

You guyz must be like wizard or something because I can't tell the different at all unless you flip the watch other see through glass of the back. You wear a real one and you walk out a Hyundai or Kia, I said it's fake, if you wear a rep. and walk out a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi... I said that is a gen. period.

mayjas

You guyz must be like wizard or something because I can't tell the different at all unless you flip the watch other see through glass of the back. You wear a real one and you walk out a Hyundai or Kia, I said it's fake, if you wear a rep. and walk out a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi... I said that is a gen. period.

welcome here..........and such a deep 1st post........that's the reality of life bro.......its just a matter of how you carry your stuff....

suasdu

Just curious.. where did you get the Gen for $4150? I was just at the Omega store, and was checking out the same watch for $6100. I was thinking of getting a Rep PO w/ the open case back. But I might go for the older version w/ the solid back. The rep look great, but once you see the innards, it was obvious it wasn't a gen.

Great job on the post.