Sign in to follow this  
DR3M3L

21j problem

DR3M3L

So I was helping out a friend with his cheapie IWC watch by removing the hour numbers and realign them for him to get a better look.

No problem...

But I mentioned the movement stopped running after removing the stem. I did put the stem back in (yes everything as usual and in the good way!!) but still doesn't want to run.

Did I push the release button too hard? Is this a keyless problem? No big deal if I have to buy a new 21j movement but it would be a long wait and IMO not really worth the money.

Should I be able to repair it myself? Any suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks in advance :)

paulc

Does the movement hack if so it may be a something to do with the keyless and the stem not having the hack prong thing seated properly. just a guess.

Libertatia

I don't actually know anything about movements, but I have removed my 21j movement a load of times. I think you should secure it, then give it a shake to put energy back in to it.... If I remember correctly, the movement doesn't always start straight away as soon as you put the stem back in, needs some energy.

Edited by papabear

DR3M3L
Does the movement hack if so it may be a something to do with the keyless and the stem not having the hack prong thing seated properly. just a guess.

I have to guess.. I think it was not a hacking movement! The seconds running when setting time....

jerkstore

When the stem is in, does the watch wind smoothly? Is the movement already in the case (could be that the hands are hitting eachother and/or the crystal)?

If you can wind it, it doesn't hack (so like paulc said, the hack lever isn't interrupting the balance wheel), and there is no fouling between the hands and the crystal, the problem might be deeper.

jerkstore
I have to guess.. I think it was not a hacking movement! The seconds running when setting time....

Could be that there was already a keyless problem, i.e., the hack lever was out of place when you got the watch. Whatever you did might have just accidentally pushed the lever over far enough to interrupt things. One way to find out...

DR3M3L

sa6e8ahu.jpg

Okay... This was just lying in the movement... Is this the hack thingy you where talking about?....

Hazz

sa6e8ahu.jpg

hack thingy

Love it :hehehe:

DR3M3L

sa6e8ahu.jpg

hack thingy

Love it :hehehe:

I fucking hate 21 jewels! I understand 6497, 2836, etc. But this?! It's fucking tooo small, fuck 21 jewel cheapo's!!

If I ever will be thinking of buying a 21j cheapie rep, please slap me till I buy the higher end. -.-

jerkstore

Not sure. I've only worked on the other side of a 21J. Too many parts that fly in different directions. Does it run now that you removed the culprit?

DR3M3L

The little cheapie fucking thing just made me smoke again.

purajy6u.jpg

#%!*@#%!

Not sure. I've only worked on the other side of a 21J. Too many parts that fly in different directions. Does it run now that you removed the culprit?

Still not running :(

Bobbylah

sa6e8ahu.jpg

Okay... This was just lying in the movement... Is this the hack thingy you where talking about?....

Chinese pube?

DR3M3L

Ok now I removed it, it directly unwinds when manual winding the movement...

DR3M3L

qugu7e8y.jpg

Got it in place, it's a fucking anti-unwind pin -.-

Put everything together......

abedysyh.jpg

And.......

Still no heart beat :(

paulc

dont know if this helps but could that chinese pube be a broken off part of the lever thing in this video about 0.59 seconds in.

EDIT, just re read above but the video is still interesting.

andypandy1961

Go on cousinsuk site 21j about a tenner

J.Eric

Sorry to hear about your troubles Joran.

I have learned my lesson about taking apart a cheapie.

I have ruined 3 movements so far.......

DR3M3L
dont know if this helps but could that chinese pube be a broken off part of the lever thing in this video about 0.59 seconds in.

It's not the same :(

My 21j has (non working) date funtion and faux chrono by pushers... Also it's doean't got a lever thing except for the thing I just managed to reinstall..

Thanks for the help mate!

I know, but as far as I know no faux chrono's with pushers...

gmchris

My 21j has (non working) date funtion and faux chrono by pushers... Also it's doean't got a lever thing except for the thing I just managed to reinstall..

cousinsuk does have faux chronos mate. search their movements in the Chinese section by size (you gotta measure it) then check the photos of every movement till you see a match. it takes ages but its the best way. I found mine in there - a 26mm with days@9, 24hrs@6, date@3.

If you need to do keyless its technically easy just fiddly

Good luck mate

J.Eric

Could be a DG3836.3D.

DR3M3L

cousinsuk does have faux chronos mate. search their movements in the Chinese section by size (you gotta measure it) then check the photos of every movement till you see a match. it takes ages but its the best way. I found mine in there - a 26mm with days@9, 24hrs@6, date@3.

If you need to do keyless its technically easy just fiddly

Good luck mate

Thanks mate, I'll try to find one!

Could be a DG3836.3D.

I'll check it out! Thanks for the input!

Frankt8242

These movements are designed to be replaced, not repaired.....I have owned dozens of them with no problems...Some of them for 5+ years...Just don't fuck with them beyond simple adjustment...And the vast majority of the one I have had experience with have come from the factory adjusted quite well...