Sign in to follow this  
jonbon

New member!

jonbon

Hi!

Just found this apparently amazing site!

I have recently retriggered an timepiece obsession as I am turning 30, and thought a watch would be appropriate :)

Having bought a Parnis power reserve which i am pleased with, and waiting for a poljot strela watch, i have also been looking for a good IWC portuguese chrono replica.

My problem is that all the replicas i have seen has "floating" numerals, and not "stamped through dial" numerals as the gen.

Is there a rep with a good dial?

This is the watch in question:

http://www.1-pc8838.com/00iwpg10002-portug...ved-p-5491.html

Edited by jonbon

KinCaidk

Welcome JonBon. :)

I wouldn't get a IWC Poro Chrono as your first watch. from what I've hear they can be rather troublesome.

Search around the site, and don't hesitate to ask if you need help.

jonbon
Welcome JonBon. :)

I wouldn't get a IWC Poro Chrono as your first watch. from what I've hear they can be rather troublesome.

Search around the site, and don't hesitate to ask if you need help.

Wow, fast replies :)

May i ask what kind of trouble you are referring to?

Does it have to do with modifications needed to move the the 9 and 3 dials to 12 and 6?

Member X

Hello!

Get some pics up of your current collection :) Doesn't matter if it's only a few, size isn't everything :) LoL

I'm very pleased with virtually all my Parnis watches!

As above, though, seconds at 6 IWC Portuguese Chrono is very unreliable unless you have c. £800 to spend on a franken with a gen movement! The sheer number of transfer gears needed adds too much friction to the movement and it fails in anywhere from a few months to a couple of years. It's basically a timebomb unless you get a service and graphite treatment to reduce friction, or DLC coat the plate the transfer gears rest on (but that's even more money! lol)

trailboss99

What they said mate, the porto needs a lot of TLC to make it reliable, not a good first choice I'm afraid.

Welcome BTW.

Col.

greg_r

I see you've been given all the right advice, so I'll just say "welcome to RWG!" :)

oscarmadfish

welcome

trailboss99

DLC = Diamond Like Carbon, a coating, usually black that is very hard. It's like PVD only tougher.

TLC = Tender Loving Care

Col.

joefratguy

Jon,

The only way you will get a good portuguese is if you contact a member on RG called concepta. He sources gen movements and can build you one for about 1/3 the price of the real thing approximately $1000-3000 depending on if you want to use all gen parts or something in between.

Member X
Below is a picture of my current collection :P

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/587/dsc0085ow.jpg

lol

We all have to start somewhere, and that's a great start! :)

I've always wanted one of those but I missed the period on ebay when they were cheap, and I have other watches I want above them now so I don't think I'll ever get one now unless I get it secondhand!

They are lovely though, a really class piece :)

How noisy is the rotor on yours?

jonbon
Jon,

The only way you will get a good portuguese is if you contact a member on RG called concepta. He sources gen movements and can build you one for about 1/3 the price of the real thing approximately $1000-3000 depending on if you want to use all gen parts or something in between.

Hm, ok. Would at least be interested in hearing what he suggests!

Edit: Can´t seem to find him here, is RG another site or what?

@Member X:

The rotor was quite loud when i got it! I wear it on my right arm, and changing gears while driving sendt it twirling like mad :)

The noise has gone down to a point were its only audible when i try to notice, so no problems.

Edited by jonbon

dmisgod

welcome JB,

I'd start with a nice Rollie or PO for beginings, and then go from there.

Member X

Jon,

These are some of the acronyms used to refer to the different fora (forums?) that exist :drool:

RG = Repgeek

RWG / RWG1.1 = here

RWG2 / RWGJr = rwgforum.com

RWI = Replica Watch Information (I think?)

jonbon
Jon,

These are some of the acronyms used to refer to the different fora (forums?) that exist ;)

RG = Repgeek

RWG / RWG1.1 = here

RWG2 / RWGJr = rwgforum.com

RWI = Replica Watch Information (I think?)

Thanks!

Whats with this version at Josh´s site?

http://www.1-pc8838.com/00iwpg10102-portug...750-p-8174.html

Says swiss movement.. Unrelieable (and damn expensive) as well?

Member X

Can't get that link to work - but it might be problems with the site going from what I read in the shoutbox fro last night just now!

However, all the dealers can get the same models as they're all buying from the same factories, so don't be afraid to shop around from the trusted dealers list - the main differences you're looking for are the customer service levels and how they sell! (i.e. pictures to check or not, the payment option you want, known aftersales service if there's a problem...)

I'm not sure if Josh guarantees swiss movement or not, I know Mary does, but I'm not even sure if there is a swiss version of the modded 7750 with seconds at 6? Hopefully someone else can confirm ;)

jonbon
Can't get that link to work - but it might be problems with the site going from what I read in the shoutbox fro last night just now!

However, all the dealers can get the same models as they're all buying from the same factories, so don't be afraid to shop around from the trusted dealers list - the main differences you're looking for are the customer service levels and how they sell! (i.e. pictures to check or not, the payment option you want, known aftersales service if there's a problem...)

I'm not sure if Josh guarantees swiss movement or not, I know Mary does, but I'm not even sure if there is a swiss version of the modded 7750 with seconds at 6? Hopefully someone else can confirm ;)

Hm, seems like his site does not support hotlinking.

Heres a screen shot:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4472/sc...100428at091.png

At 828$ it better work!

Member X

How much??!?!!

Seriously, if you're looking to spend that sort of money, speak to Concepta on RG or RWG2 - for a little bit more than that money he can sort you out a franken with a gen movement that will be guaranteed to work, and will also be a stunning watch if you go the whole hog and get a gen dial and strap to go with the gen movement and hands... :)

Or if you want to stick with an adapted 7750 movement and take the risk on how long it will last, I'm sure Mary or Robert will be able to source one for under half that money, and you can then get it serviced and graphite treated for about $100 or so using the money you've saved!

jonbon

And here is my new beauty!:

dsc0072i.jpg

dsc0071j.jpg

Edited by jonbon

Member X

I can't see the pics!

Did you copy and paste the right links? Imageshack is funny like that... Use the links in the bottom right of the screen, in the list, if you bulk uploaded :)

EDIT: They work now :thumbsup: but you might want to resize them a bit smaller... ;) LoL :)

jonbon

Done! :)

greg_r

Deleted my request as it was obviously superflous :thumbsup:

Thanks jonbon. Great looking watch! :)

Luthier

WOW. where did you get Russian "ARROW" watch???

jonbon
WOW. where did you get Russian "ARROW" watch???

This is actually an official remake, so not a true replica ;)

Bought it from www.poljot24.de , price is fair i think, only downside is no sapphire glass.

Recieved over the top, exquisite service when buying from the site (Julian Kampmann).

Package included russian candy, an additional strap and a personal letter about the watch! :rofl: