mbjoer

Vacheron Constantin Overseas Arabic

mbjoer

Vacheron Constantin Overseas Arabic

ref no 42042/423A

Vacheron Constantin is one of the truly great brands in the watch world.

It is the oldest continously operating Swiss watch manufacturer, it has a wide range of top end models and it is on par with Audemars Piguet and Patek Philippe in exclusivity.

The total output is about 12,000 watches per annum and these are spread on a very wide range of models and model combinations.

The Overseas series is their current sports range. It comes in 4 different series, at least 5 dials and a choise of yellow gold and stainless steel. There is also a choice of quartz and automatic movements. With all the choices there are over 100 versions of the Overseas, of which only very few have been repped.

One of these is the Arabic model. Vacheron Reference No 42042/423A. By the standards of the rep-world it is relatively small, with a diameter of 37 mm and a thickness of 8 mm. This may be the reason that it is no better known, because as a rep it is really very good.

As I have found the rep version of this very good but underrated, I thought I would do a slightly more detailed write-up about it, with a comparison based on pictures from the internet. I have not had the opportunity to sit with a Gen in my hands.

Here is how the rep is described on Timesshop.net, from where I bought it:

VC9848 - VACHERON CONSTANTIN GENEVE BLACK DIAL SS/SS - ASIAN 2892 AUTOMATIC

Movement: Asian 2892 Automatic

Case Diameter: 37 mm

Thickness: 9.7 mm

Dial Colour: Black

Case material: Stainless Steel 316L

Bracelet: Stainless Steel 316L

Front Glass: Sapphire Crystal

Other: Water Resistant

The rep is thicker than the Gen, but not by much. Both are not AR treated. It is interesting that it should be water resistant, but I have yet to have Domi take a look at it.

Overall impression of the rep is that it is made to an exceptional standard. The detailing is outstanding and it really looks and feels like a VC to me. To me the most important aspect of any rep is if it captures the quality and spirit of the gen. Not least when the Gen is an exceptionally rare beast.

Other than potential problems with water resistance, the main shortfall is the lack of lume and AR treatment (although the latter can be justified by the Gen also not having it), something that can be corrected as shown here:

http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/107142-vc-ov...mp;#entry746139

Having said that, how does the Rep compare to the Gen? - I will let the pictures speak for themselves:

Dial

Gen:

13107-1.jpg

watch2s.jpg

Rep:

200001-12_sml6.jpg

200001-12_sml1.jpg

From the side, the glare in the crystal is more evident. I still think that this watch will benefit from an AR treatment:

Gen:

13107-3.jpg

Rep:

010.jpg

Case Back

Almost the best part of this watch is the case back. It is just so well done with amazing detailing on the rep. I presume that is the case on the Gen as well, although of the two pictures (different watches) it does not really show too clearly. On the Gen the “Overseas†seems finer, but the detailing on the ship cannot really be made out:

Gen:

back2s.jpg

13107-4.jpg

Rep:

014.jpg

018.jpg

016.jpg

The Crown:

Gen:

crown1s.jpg

The Rep. Note how the cross lines up nicely on the rep as well as on the gen:

013.jpg

Bracelet

The bracelet is not the same as on the larger and better known Overseas models. That one is just wonderful.

Even so, this one looks good, but the links are a bit tight. Mine has had a good dose of dry bike lube and that has helped, but the shape of the links makes it feel less fluid than other steel bracelets out there.

On the wrist it looks good though.

Gen:

13107-6.jpg

brace1s.jpg

Rep:

Buckle

The buckle is a particular Vacheron construction. It has a little button which opens and locks the clasp, making it easy to get on and off and keeps it well in place when on the wrist. Excellent.

Again here the replication is outstanding.

Gen:

13107-5-1.jpg

Rep. Not quite as nicely engraved as the Gen, but on its own it is well done:

024.jpg

And final picture, the Wristie:

020.jpg

In conclusion let me repeat that this one is a really nice rep, even out of the box.

Personally I would add in the cost of water proofing, AR treatment and re-lume. But with that you will get an absolute top notch Vacheron for about $500. Not bad considering that you might well spend in excess of $7,000 for the Gen.

Edited by mbjoer

dingle

great review MB :)

dmisgod

very enlightning.

KinCaidk

nice review.. and even nicer watch :drool:

It looks amazingly detailed and well finished

how much was it?

oscarmadfish

great review - great looking watch but to small for me

joefratguy

I love reviews like this.. I have now bought 3 watches based on these awesome detailed reviews.

mbjoer
how much was it?

I got mine on a special offer over on RWI for $125. Mark now has it on his site for $199 (after the $20 discount)

scope

Great review. I really like that watch.

greg_r

Great review - often been tempted to buy a VCO. I'll probably do it one of these days :drool:

rc42

Great review, I've always liked the VCO but do prefer the newer and bigger 42mm version, I think of 37mm as being more of a ladies watch although the very thin wristed can get away with it ;)

The Overseas models are great reps and you'll never be called out wearing one, not because of its accuracy though but because nobody will ever recognise it.

mbjoer

A little follow-up after a couple of years.

The watch has been in my rotation and not received that much wrist time. Probably less than once a month.

Recently I sent it off to Goin for re-lume and AR treatment. And that really did improve the watch.

However in the process the clasp has broken off. ..... :(

I doubt it is worth it trying to fix it as the bracelet is a bit funny anyway. Instead I am playing with the idea of getting a leather strap for it. Not the simplest solution either as the watch has an odd shape.

So 2 questions:

Who can make this strap, and how much should I expect to pay?

davylloyd

IMO that watch will never look right on a leather strap. Is the bracelet beyond repair?

Bankroll.t

Do you still have? Is it for sale?

tabuktime
58 minutes ago, Bankroll.t said:

Do you still have? Is it for sale?

Holy Fucking Necrobump!

Jasonbaylee

Great pictorial shots n review !

"There are more than 1 road to Rome...."