Sign in to follow this  
KBH

GMTIIC with Eta 2893-2!

KBH

This is my old CHS GMTIIC that never worked correctly (at least the GMT hand) even after 2 trips to Rex. I finally gave up and stuck a A21j movement in but was never very happy with that one either. Well, when the chance to pick up a REAL GMT movement at a decent price came along I had to try it. I guess one reason I didn't want to give up is because I also paid Rex for Superluming the dial and hands. Since the hands weren't interchangeable I've lost that but at least have the SL dial.

I don't even want to think how much this watch has cost me.

After much aggravation, tears and gnashing of teeth, I finally got it all to work correctly with a gen Rolex date wheel. Now I've got to find a a new set of Eta hands with the green GMT hand.

The tolerances are very tight. When you get the date wheel working correctly the GMT hand won't work, When the GMT hand works correctly the Date wheel hangs. Finally, I carefully ground the inner edge of the date wheel off and sanded it thinner. Then I had to actually mount it very carefully on the date wheel so it didn't catch the GMT gear that is right under it. Final step was bending the dial ever so slightly at the middle to get clearance for the GMT hand. The other problem is getting 4 hands to rotate without hitting either the hour markers or each other. That takes some tweaking.

Here's the final project, at least until I can find a correct set of hands with the green GMT hand. If you have any ideas, let me know.

DSCN4183.jpg

DSCN4102.jpg

sconehead

Keep the faith KBH, you'll get there in the end, did you get the movement off an ebay seller called Babs?

...paint it green yourself?

KBH

I picked up 2 movements from a group buy on RWJjr. I actually turned one into a 2892-2 and used it in my Bling WM9 Sub.

I originally tried painting it green and had two problems. One getting the color match and worse was having the paint flake off every time you touched it. I couldn't get a good enough bond to make it work. I could keep trying but I'd rather get a nice new set and do it right since I'm in this deep. That GMT hand being on the bottom has to be bent just right in two places for it to work and not hit the hour markers. I can see why Rolex put the GMT hand on the bottom.

I've had those hands on and off enough times to about wear them out.

sconehead

The obvious one is to ask the dealers then?

KBH

I'm gonna check with Speedy first. I'd like to find somebody that can buy them and lume them for me, if possible. It's working fine and at this point it's not a huge priority.

I just checked and it's dead on to the second after setting it about 8 hours ago. Not bad!

greg_r

The cheapie GMT we gave away recently had a green GMT hand. The whole watch was only, like, $55. Dunno whether the hands would fit your movement though.

KBH
The cheapie GMT we gave away recently had a green GMT hand. The whole watch was only, like, $55. Dunno whether the hands would fit your movement though.

Nope, I've got a set of 21j hands. Not close.

BTW, Anybody need a 21j GMT movement let me know.

OHMYGODITSAPANERAI

I think that the 2893-2 and 2836-2 GMT hands are the same. If one will work from a 2836-2, I have two of them. From back when the GMT IIc first came out.

I have no use for them and would gladly donate it to such a fine project.

JoeyB

KBH, I am told that the genuine Rolex Tudor hands fit the ETA 28-- series movements. I know the ETA 2836-2 hands do fit the ETA 2893-2.

BUT, the modified ETA 2836-2 4th hand broach size is 2.0mm, while the ETA 2893-2 is 1.8mm. I don't know what the gen Rolex measures, but I have tried a genuine 4th hand and it fits perfectly on the ETA 2893-2.

Clark has aftermarket gen replacement hands for the Rolex GMT, but I don't know if he has green yet. Last I talked to him, about a month ago, he was arranging to have the hands made for him more curved like the gen is. He might be able to help you.

KBH
I think that the 2893-2 and 2836-2 GMT hands are the same. If one will work from a 2836-2, I have two of them. From back when the GMT IIc first came out.

I have no use for them and would gladly donate it to such a fine project.

The set I'm using are from Jewelryoutlet555 on eBay. Not the highest quality. I tried the 2836-2 CHS hands and they did fit the 2893-2. Obviously the GMT and hour hand were in the wrong position, though.

Your donation would be gladly accepted. I'll PM you with my address. I'd like to see if they will work. Thanks.

Edit: Nice gesture, but CHS handstack. Won't work.

----------

Joey, thanks for the info. Although it's more confusing since, as mentioned the original CHS hands all fit perfectly on the new movement.

It would be nice if Gary did get the green hand set, particularly with the proper curve on the bottom 2 hands. that would be sweet. I checked his web site last week and he didn't show any then.

JoeyB

I just spoke with Gary and no green hand yet. He said he's been getting requests, so he's going to consider it.

Yep, the CHS is still an ETA so the hands should fit the same. It is nice to know that the Rolex Tudor hands are the same size.

The ETA 2893-2 and ETA 2892-2 'Caliber' level (ETA has 4 levels of 'quality' which is really just fine tuned testing) are said to be on the level of quality as any Rolex movement. That's why they cost so much more.

rc42

If you go the paint yourself route I'd suggest removing the existing red paint, masking the two ends that you want to keep in shiny steel then very carefully use a fine abrasive on the surface then spray paint it and leave to set.

Actually though, I like the look of the red GMT hand and the people that would know that Rolex don't make a red hand version of that watch would spot a fake anyway, most other people will just assume its fake because its a Rolex.

I agree with the hand setting on the GMT, what a pain in the ass it is to get them all running without touching the dial or each other, the CHS is easier as the hour hand can be at the same level as the dial markers but on the IHS the GMT hand has to slope upwards to miss the markers which messes up the hour hand positioning.

The search for a reliable and accurare (timekeeping) GMT movement in a Rolex is a difficult one, I gave up with reps and went the gen route but was planning to do a project like this one.

GC

KBH, I'm root'n for ya !

And I'm also eagerly anticipating the final result!

deadlock23

Post up some pics when all is said and done, sounds like a nice project....

KBH

After looking at the red gmt hand for a while I decided to go ahead and paint it green. Stripped the red off. It actually came off real easy and then thinned out some green paint. Mixed in a little yellow with the green and got a pretty good match. The hand came out real nice and shiny. Now I'm waiting for a newer bezel insert from Mary. She has it in hand and hopefully is shipping it soon. Then I'll put up some new pictures.

That 2893-2 movement is SWEET! It's been keeping COSC time since i put it in.

alvinado
Post up some pics when all is said and done, sounds like a nice project....

KBH it is easy actually to paint it green.

Use a toothpick to hold the hands, and push the toothpick into a piece of Styrofoam. Then get your desired green spray can and very lightly spray over it. of course use a scotch tap to tape the part you want silver first.

alvinado
After looking at the red gmt hand for a while I decided to go ahead and paint it green. Stripped the red off. It actually came off real easy and then thinned out some green paint. Mixed in a little yellow with the green and got a pretty good match. The hand came out real nice and shiny. Now I'm waiting for a newer bezel insert from Mary. She has it in hand and hopefully is shipping it soon. Then I'll put up some new pictures.

That 2893-2 movement is SWEET! It's been keeping COSC time since i put it in.

opps did not see that, glad you have found a way.

RolexAddict

to paint a hand,

just remove the original paint with a thin X-acto cutter blade or a razor blade. Clean and degrease with aceton.

then use Revell or Humbrol kind of enamel made for models, apply with a sewing needle, the enamel will run from A to B by capillarity. Gen watchsmithes -not forums gurus - :D process like this to paint watch hands.

Originally the red on the reps GMT hands is to dark. The classic red from Revell is perfect. Try also Marabu products sold in painters/artist shops

I never tried the green, as I hate these modern GMT IIC, fat, ugly cases and polished bracelet middle links, shinning in the sun, just made for the same arrogant Parisian jews driving Porsche Cayenne cars or Hummer here in Paris.

:(

KBH
I never tried the green, as I hate these modern GMT IIC, fat, ugly cases and polished bracelet middle links, shinning in the sun, just made for the same arrogant Parisian jews driving Porsche Cayenne cars or Hummer here in Paris.

:D

Wow, tell us how you really feel RA! :(

RolexAddict

;)

I was :paddy_beer: working.... :beerjump:

more seriously,

KBH, you did a great job, I can imagine the headacke with the hands clearance. Sounds you are like me, you mod and tweak more than you wear watches ;)

bklm1234

I'm making a green GMT hand (1.80mm hole size) that fits the 2893-2. Essentially I'm copying the noob GMT hand but making the hole 1.8mm. The idea is you can use the other hands from the noob GMT IIC and use my GMT hand so you can swap in a 2893-2. The noobfactory makes these hands to have tall jackets. The noobfactory is very smart. Instead of changing out the H-2 cannon pin set to a higher one e.g. H-4, they make the jackets on the hand longer. The result is the same. You get all the clearances you need between the dial and the datewheel and between the dial and hands. The 2893-2 GMT hand you can buy from for example wholesaleoutlet990 has a short jacket. They assume you have a tall cannon pin already. Otherwise the hand jacket doesn't reach past the dial hole to the cannon pin.

bk

Edited by bklm1234

trailboss99

While you're making hands, how about a Submariner seconds hand with a longer jacket so we can use the short canon pin 21Js as a replacement in Noobs ect? It's almost impossible to get the tall cannon pin MVT ATM, I have several Rolex 21Js sitting around here due to this.

Col.

Baldrick

Hmmm, très intéressant, je suis un juif habitant à Paris, je ne pense pas que je suis arrogant.

RolexAddict
Hmmm, très intéressant, je suis un juif habitant à Paris, je ne pense pas que je suis arrogant.

:D

Désolé Monsieur Lévy

;)

bklm1234
While you're making hands, how about a Submariner seconds hand with a longer jacket so we can use the short canon pin 21Js as a replacement in Noobs ect? It's almost impossible to get the tall cannon pin MVT ATM, I have several Rolex 21Js sitting around here due to this.

Col.

I can't afford to make second hands for 21j. The minimum quantity is 1000.

What size is the 21j second? I do have a few noob second hands for their GMT movement, which have long jackets. They have standard ETA 2836-2 second hand's diameter. If the 21j's second has the same diameter, I can give one to you.

bk