Sign in to follow this  
Member X

Sterile Rolex DSSD homages

Member X

I'm pleased to say that ebay came to the rescue again with these ;) lol :D

As per the Sterile Explorer II homages I've just posted, they appear to be based on a rep case and other parts, but with no engraving.

The endlinks are tighter than a nun's chuff, the clasps are excellent, the straps are good, dials are well finished, weight is excellent and build quality feels sturdy.

Downsides to these include a cheap looking bezel insert and pearl, some crystal distortion, lume is the usual fare, I don't think they're waterproof as the crown/stem tube (whatever it's called) don't look properly seated and sealed against the case, a less than impressive datewheel font, and that it's a DG2813 movement according to the listing, so hasn't got the smooth sweep of a gen. I'm also assuming the HE valve is for decoration only :D lol

That said, the sweep is consistent round the whole dial so there are no complaints there. Setting the time is a little 'grindy' as it is with most of these cheap movements, but if it dies then I may well investigate either a highbeat DG4813 with tall cannon pin, or perhaps Asian Clone ETA movement :sh_h:

Overall I'm very happy with them - they feel great on the wrist and are very comfy :) I'm not actually sure if they're a full-size version compared to the gen as they look a little small compared to the gen in the shop window, but that might just be perspective! lol

See what you think anyway. Rubbish pics again but nevermind! :)

dscf4311d.jpg

dscf4313o.jpg

dscf4314.jpg

dscf4315g.jpg

dscf4316.jpg

dscf4317.jpg

dscf4318.jpg

dscf4320o.jpg

dscf4321d.jpg

dscf4322f.jpg

dscf4323t.jpg

dscf4324.jpg

dscf4325.jpg

dscf4327.jpg

dscf4328o.jpg

dscf4333.jpg

Please note that the relative sizes are a little 'off' in these two next pics as the DSSDs were nearer the camera! :monkeyspank:

dscf4350.jpg

dscf4355q.jpg

dscf4356.jpg

dscf4363d.jpg

dscf4364p.jpg

andy2die4

"tighter than a nun's chuff" you can not make a statement like this without pic`s. Thats the rule.

jkirke

Those are sweet. How had I not seen any of these before? Are they only for sale on ebay? I'd for sure like to get my hands on a black dial'd explorerII homage.

Member X

I've only seen this stuff on ebay but as I think it might be Parnis stuff, you could try asking Jacskson Tse (militarytime) to see if he can get them.

ebay might be a bit cheaper but he would probably offer better service with better english! lol

One thing I would say with these DSSD hmages - the crown and tube seem poor. The nato strap one will only screw down about 1 time in 20 goes, which isn't ideal if you don't wear it much and have to do it every time you want to wear it. It gets quite tiresome...

The other one has been better but looks to be going the same way :P so I hope to replace the crown and tube when I have some tools and confidence!

Helenarou might be better as she appears to be offering sterile ones too, albeit at a higher price. She's rouhelena on ebay at the moment :)

Luthier

Would somebody explain me the point of no-name (a.k.a. "homage") watches, please?

Member X

Same good looks, no stress about call outs or wearing a watch above your station in life :P lol

greg_r

Sure. Nice watches. Legal. Inexpensive. They don't say 'Parnis' ;) No import problems because they're legal. Not reps therefore... uhm.... did I already say they're legal? ;)

I'll confess that I find the sterile Rollie dials a bit ...err... 'blank' for my tastes, but that's just me... The REAL point is: what's the problem with them?

trailboss99

I'd rather see something, anything on that dial tho.

It's just too blank for my liking.

Col.

P_Diddy

what movement are used in these homages?

wondering if its easy to swap in a rep dial?

are they good base model to start modding on?

Cheers

PD

Luthier

Col.

+1

Let's not pretend - we collect reps BECAUSE of the names on dials.

Member X
what movement are used in these homages?

wondering if its easy to swap in a rep dial?

are they good base model to start modding on?

Cheers

PD

TBH, I've stood looking at the gen DSSD in the shop window and I'm really not convinced it's the right size - I've meaured it seems be the right width, it just seems too shallow!

It's running a 2813 if ebay is to be believed.

Not sure how easy a dial swap will be as the dial feet will need to fit the movement and the hands will need to clear the markers, but it might be easy, I'm no modder yet!

The bezel and pearl on it are pretty cheap anyway tbh :popcorn: It's no easy straight swap to make a cheap DSSD I fear!

greg_r

Col.

+1

Let's not pretend - we collect reps BECAUSE of the names on dials.

Hopeless generalisation. I have several homage watches - which I like as much as my reps. It isn't always about the name...

Member X

+1 ! :P

Luthier

Yeah... when you have Maserati, BMW, Lotus and Shelby - you can buy Toyota, just for fun...

But Maserati first, right?

:P

Member X

Nah - something 'cheap' that goes just as well and can look just as good is just as (and sometimes more) fun :yoda:

I like annoying faster cars with useless driivers while in my little rattly rustbox :P

greg_r
Yeah... when you have Maserati, BMW, Lotus and Shelby - you can buy Toyota, just for fun...

Aston first - and I don't care whether it has a badge on it or not :yoda:

Luthier

Aston first - and I don't care whether it has a badge on it or not :yoda:

It has instantly recognizable Aston body shape, no need badge, everyone knows, what it is.

With watches - it's different. Moron could confuse SOH with Sub, but never DB-9 with Corolla.

greg_r

You're telling me that this:

dscf4321d.jpg

doesn't instantly look like a Rolex?

Luthier

Looks like!!! That's the point!!

If you said "A" - say "B"!!!

If it's a copy of Rolex, why castrate it?

:itchyandscratchy:

greg_r

Hmm - you seem to be changing your argument with every post.

Member X

lol

I agree with Greg - you are moving the goalposts, Mr Luthier :rofl:

You are saying that an Aston looks like an Aston even if you take the badge off, and that's fine as it's such a good shape that you don't need a badge to recognise it, but then you're saying that to do the same with a watch is wrong as to look like the gen but have no label on it isn't good enough?

You oldies get confused so easily... :rofl: :rofl:

speedbird119

Thanks for the post...good info to know as I've been eyeing those DSSD steriles.

I have a couple of BR01 sterile homages and they are surprisingly nice, Parnis does a decent job and they're actually quite accurate. Slap on a Montana strap and they are truly badass wrist candy.

The point of a homage is just that--you like the case, the design, dial, size, etc. but don't want to walk around with a rep of 5K watch, I know my friends would beat me over the head if I did. But a sterile homage pays tribute to the original, without the flashy name. Joe Public rarely knows the difference anyway, so you'll still get the looks, just a bit more guilt free.

Plus I get the mod itch easily, and modding a sterile DSSD is a better route to take at times (I'd love to add Tudor dial and hand set in there). I might not want to such things to an Ultimate DSSD.

Member X

Apart from the poor crown / tube and the cheap-feeling bezel, this does feel a solid watch - if you can get one for £30-£40 including postage then I'd say go for it, but any more than that I'd say you'd be better off getting one of the 21j reps, like those posted by timesshopnet recently :D