Sign in to follow this  
onzenuub

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Rubberclad RG gen vs rep comparison

onzenuub

I was lucky to have a gen in my hand and was able to take some pictures. Just pointed out the biggest flaws on this watch. The gen is on the left.

8935747532_0af2b4e826.jpg8935135815_0aea8eb4be.jpg

You can see the space at the right side from the date window is bigger at the gen. The color of the dial looks more grey. The top of the chrono pushers from the gen is more round.

8935131863_895b26bc64_n.jpg8935760876_8f4ee4bd15_n.jpg

On the gen the pushers and the crown are not in one line. At the rep they are in on line, due to the A7750 movement. The caseback at the gen is thinner. And again the rounded pushes on the gen.

8935749990_aec37a6fe3_n.jpg8935140557_c2e803d6c5_n.jpg

And again the caseback on the gen is thinner.

8935251691_0b5f3ff75c.jpg8935138149_87dff49b59.jpg

On the caseback is the font on the gen thicker. The markings under Offshore look a little different.

jeffw69

Very nice, thanks Onze!

Is the Gen AP now in custody? :D

onzenuub
:Whistle:

nyckid

If I was asked to choose one of these two watches based on the pics, I would def go for the rep! Looks a lot nicer on these pics. Thanks a lot for the review Onze, very informative.

TheSav

The lugs and strap insert have a lot better/ smoother finish and fitment on the gen.

NFleischer

At first glance, I would have picked the rep as Gen also. Great looking piece, flaws and all.

baxter

Thanks for that onze ..... visual flaws aside how was the feeling of the gen V's the rep in your opinion ?

watch.aholic

What's with the reflection on the gen crystal? It just looks so cheap as if it's a rep....The squares on the gen dial appear to be bigger than they are on the rep....Despite all the differences the rep doesn't appear to be a shameful imitation.....The case color also is sorta rose goldish on the rep and more yellow on the gen.

aprell

thanks for the comparison

Annie

But do u think the rose gold color is a BIG tell tale due to color contrasts ??

Thx so much

Cynikal.Mindset

gen ROOs have no AR on the crystal...may look "cheap" but that's how they are

gran

Thanks for this informative thread onzenuub

Kasey

Honestly, this is considered a poor rep. Doesn't matter whichever looks better. The word rep comes from replica, doesn't it?

So if the factory is trying to make some real business from doing a copy (after investing in the machinery and moulds) they should at least do a meticulous one.

Look... they have no retail stores, no advertising costs and all labour are in China.

Selling at fair prices (similar to retailed Japanese watches like a Seiko Kinetic or Citizen Ecodrive) without incurring the usual costs of business (Design, marketing, Space) allows them to make generous profits as-is. The minimum they can do is to "copy correctly"

jeanius

lol tell that to the chinese

DreambreaX

niceeee

Bosox

But do u think the rose gold color is a BIG tell tale due to color contrasts ??

Thx so much

As I understand it, rose gold can have fluctuations in color, depending on the amount of copper used. .So if someone uses 75% gold, 20% copper, and 5% silver, the color would be different from a mixture of 75% gold and the rest copper. Using even less gold and more alloys would change the color further, but all would be considered rose or red gold. I wonder what a comparison between gens made at markedly different times would show. I would hope there would be no variation, as AP should be controlling the content of their rose gold.. I doubt that reps have such standards, but like most things in life, the differences tend to show up clearly only in a direct comparison, and how often does a gen get next to a rep? My wife buys only 18kt jewelry and yet when placed side by side, the colors do not always match perfectly, though it takes a pretty keen eye to notice the variations.

Jasonbaylee

I still live the rep! ;)

DreambreaX

any review with the new rgrc? (the one that has black dw)

livnoffexperienc

Anyone know who has one of these available for purchase?

Olly

Torobravos2013.com

livnoffexperienc

I have reached out and yet there isn't a TD with this watch! If anyone has one to sell let me know, thanks.

jpohl402

Thx for the review, first RGRC Gen to rep comparison review I've seen!

One thing I didn't see in review though (was it left out or did you not notice it) - I've read and heard the Gen weighs MUCH more than the rep due to presense of real gold.... Is that true?

onzenuub

Thx for the review, first RGRC Gen to rep comparison review I've seen!

One thing I didn't see in review though (was it left out or did you not notice it) - I've read and heard the Gen weighs MUCH more than the rep due to presense of real gold.... Is that true?

True

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

I have a Gen RG... and this morning received my RG RC from Toro.......

I haven't put them side by side yet till I get my gen outta the safe......

but from first impressions...... it is excellent......sent a crystal clear pic to a pal who also has a Gen and he was convinced it was gen....and was gobsmacked when I told him it's a rep

The Gen for sure is significantly heavier.... no doubt about it !!!

Will post a side by side before Xmas