Sign in to follow this  
anff87

Favorite Dress watches - post your photos!

jeffw69
:lol:

Amit

This can only end badly for one party

LightGeek
e3umytev.jpg

arancini

Lookin' Good LG. :B):

746_heuer

PAM 111s should never be included in a dress watch thread....Radiomirs yes...111 series...NO !

Half of these watches I don't consider dress watches. Though, I was raised to believe dress watches should be small, discreet, and with minimal complications. Sometimes I even think a date complication is too much for a true dress watch. Here is mine

9UtdE4t.jpg

npRQW0m.jpg?1

Well this thread should be about pics more than opinions but I want to give you mine. Everyone's opinion is correct to themselves in these cases, but there's a standard code about what a dress watch is. We should not confuse a black tie watch with a dress watch. A dress watch can have a thousand complications as long as it doesn't mix many colors and the shapes of the case, bezel, pushers and so on are not too aggressive. For example, noone can deny this is dressy http://195.154.205.1...hne-410-025.jpg.

A black tie event watch, however, is what you describe as a dress one. Simple, small, slim, rounded, with leather strap. Or a pocket one better.

Cheers

Gosh is that a gen AP?

Yup

Edited by 746_heuer

James.

PAM 111s should never be included in a dress watch thread....Radiomirs yes...111 series...NO !

Half of these watches I don't consider dress watches. Though, I was raised to believe dress watches should be small, discreet, and with minimal complications. Sometimes I even think a date complication is too much for a true dress watch. Here is mine

9UtdE4t.jpg

npRQW0m.jpg?1

Well this thread should be about pics more than opinions but I want to give you mine. Everyone's opinion is correct to themselves in these cases, but there's a standard code about what a dress watch is. We should not confuse a black tie watch with a dress watch. A dress watch can have a thousand complications as long as it doesn't mix many colors and the shapes of the case, bezel, pushers and so on are not too aggressive. For example, noone can deny this is dressy http://195.154.205.1...hne-410-025.jpg.

A black tie event watch, however, is what you describe as a dress one. Simple, small, slim, rounded, with leather strap. Or a pocket one better.

Cheers

Gosh is that a gen AP?

Yup

Is that your gen AP? If so, few more pics, please :D

Baldrick

Unfortunately the Milgauss cannot be determined as a 'black tie / dress watch'.......it's a tool watch...designed with a specific purpose in mind.....( commonly ) misperceived by virtue of the 5x letters on the dial as a 'luxury' watch !

I would agree with your broad definition of a black tie / dress watch...however I would eliminate the "rounded" aspect...rectangular or square-ish watches can and do fall readily into this category !

James.

Unfortunately the Milgauss cannot be determined as a 'black tie / dress watch'.......it's a tool watch...designed with a specific purpose in mind.....( commonly ) misperceived by virtue of the 5x letters on the dial as a 'luxury' watch !

Those schluchtenscheissers from CERN are good for something after all! :lol:

No, but "dress watch" is a bit of a subjective term, depending upon the person. For example, I wear a suit Monday - Friday (generally) and freely wear almost all my watches in rortation. Because of that, I deem "dress watch" as a term for a "dressed-up occasion" that for me means "black tie". For those that may not be office bound, clad in a suit all week, "dressed up" might mean simply any occasion when you do wear a suit. So, for me "dress watch" is simple, clean and understated. Something that complements rather than overshadows your ensamble. IMO nothing screams "massive douche" than someone at a black tie event wearing a Rolex sub.

Oh, and also, the strap colour should match would belt & shoes.

yup.

p.s. and just because you're goign to a dressy/black tie event, doesn't mean you have to wear a dress watch. A nice vintage big-crown or 1016 would quite easily do the trick. Unless you're attending the VMAs or GRAMMYS in which case, you wouldn'y be out of place sporting a who-blow

Baldrick
No, but "dress watch" is a bit of a subjective term,

Agreed, there are countless examples of "classy" dress watches.....Breitling Transocean to Breguet Type XX......and for everyday wear to the office etc.....most anything goes.

I am referring specifically to black-tie events.. e:g the Press dinner for the POTUS....any Boston 'old money' event.......it's an elitist club.....but there are quite specific views held within these bastions of elitism.

James.
No, but "dress watch" is a bit of a subjective term,

Agreed, there are countless examples of "classy" dress watches.....Breitling Transocean to Breguet Type XX......and for everyday wear to the office etc.....most anything goes.

I am referring specifically to black-tie events.. e:g the Press dinner for the POTUS....any Boston 'old money' event.......it's an elitist club.....but there are quite specific views held within these bastions of elitism.

What about white-tie events???

I don't even think there ARE (m)any white-tie events these days. Bit of a shame, really.

NFleischer

DSCN0128.jpgDSCN0081.jpgc8c6db0b-64de-414d-8f43-df3d3f6b63bd_zpsb6333757.jpgDSCN0085.jpg

Not that I go to many Black Tie events, but I would consider wearing one of these if I did.

746_heuer

Is that your gen AP? If so, few more pics, please :D

I´ll take them tomorrow with better light if you don't mind :D

I agree that it's a pity that black tie is not a common thing nowadays, but is understandable because society is losing all elegance. The elegance of wearing ridiculously expensive clothes, shoes and watches that don't draw attention to them. Today people who have a lot of money (specially younger ones) want everyone to know how rich the are wearing shiny breitlings and rolexes.

So, I prefer no black tie that black tie with subs like you said.

schnitz36
Two of my favourites

D9B461D8-B7AA-4C9F-90BE-0B33B63D89A0-8115-00000617DE4B555C.jpg

Brilliant Cartier! I think I'm going to sell the JLC for it...

Just emailed WI.

Love that Cartier.. lemme know if WI has a good rep of that!

I asked Mary about this Calibre de Cartier Flying tourby, but she said they not the best quality =\ Cartier_46.jpg

746_heuer

I don't know why Mary would say that. Tao makes a homage of the Cartier with very decent quality (although faux turby) so there has to be some verion of the same watch with different brand. http://forums.watchu...art-650050.html

edit: found it http://www.kingshowb...ods.php?id=6117 http://www.kingshowbox.com/images/201012/goods_img/6118_P_1293611660915.jpg

Edited by 746_heuer

RichardMiami

My wife and I do formal dress quite often. Formal for me means tuxedo.... I think that is what you guys have been calling black tie.

I tend to be conservative in my watch selections on these occasions - Patek Nautilus, Jaeger Reverso, A Lange Big Date, Omega Deville Hour Vision (a favorite of mine). Occasionally, I have gotten radical, and worn a Santos (on leather with a gold bezel) and of course my Bulgari. What the hell.. rules were made to be broken!

No chronos, no dive watches, no Pams, no Breits... etc. Those are sport watches and get plenty of work with jeans, etc.

There are nights out where I will dress a bit, but short of the tux. Those are open to a few other watches I have, most often an Omega Broad Arrow, or a Rollie Sub or Milgauss.

At the end of the day, the only person I care about pleasing with these choices is ME. I don't care one bit about what others think of my choice in wrist candy.

arancini

At the end of the day, the only person I care about pleasing with these choices is ME. I don't care one bit about what others think of my choice in wrist candy.

Nail. Head.

Others opinions of what and what not constitutes a nice dress watch are just that. Opinion.

Wear what you like and all others be damned.

Niles
My wife and I do formal dress quite often. Formal for me means tuxedo.... I think that is what you guys have been calling black tie.

I tend to be conservative in my watch selections on these occasions - Patek Nautilus, Jaeger Reverso, A Lange Big Date, Omega Deville Hour Vision (a favorite of mine). Occasionally, I have gotten radical, and worn a Santos (on leather with a gold bezel) and of course my Bulgari. What the hell.. rules were made to be broken!

No chronos, no dive watches, no Pams, no Breits... etc. Those are sport watches and get plenty of work with jeans, etc.

There are nights out where I will dress a bit, but short of the tux. Those are open to a few other watches I have, most often an Omega Broad Arrow, or a Rollie Sub or Milgauss.

Couldn't agree more, especially on the no chronos/dive watches with formal wear. It's amazing how many people I see in formal wear around here with 44mm Breitlings poking out from under a suit sleeve. It just defies common sense.

breitman

I personally find the silver on black leather Santos to go quite well with black tie. My personal rules are:

1) must be on a black leather band

2) watch metal must match cuff links metal

3) watch face color must match cufflinks & studs, e.g black face with onyx studs and white or pearl face with pearl studs

4) no complications (chrono, day/date, moon phase, etc...)

Wriggles

Agree with most of the comments, but with leather semaj is bang on......strap, belt and shoes MUST match.

Saying it must always be Black is wrong, although when considering Dress watch as BlackTie then it would have to be black leather.

Suppose that depends on whether you consider a Dress wear occasion being any formal suit occasion or only Black Tie events.

All of Baldricks posts were stunning watches, and I almost agree with them all being proper and correct dress watches, with the exception of the skeleton. I would see a Skeleton watch as being a little OTT - no matter how elegantly done - to be considered a dress watch. Just too crowded to be elegant. That's my opinion anyway

gtwc

Interesting at how many votes there are for the PP Nautilus and AP RO.

When these were introduced, they were MOST definitely NOT dress watches.

They were considered large sports watches, the SUVs of their day.

Kleen™
Interesting at how many votes there are for the PP Nautilus and AP RO.

When these were introduced, they were MOST definitely NOT dress watches.

They were considered large sports watches, the SUVs of their day.

They're still definitely not black-tie dress watches, but being sportier; these days they'd be awrye with more casuals suits without causing a stir...

Baldrick

Who says brown doesn't go with black ;)

431MAY08OMEGARAILMASTERASIANA.jpg

RAILMASTER01.jpg

PICT0080.jpg

sconehead

Awaits much criticism from a certain member...but this really 'pop's' in real life with all it's different textures/finishes, slim'ish too...trust me...;)

6738789641_b57bf09f8c_b.jpg

DSC_0445a copy by sconehead12, on Flickr

6738624995_dae92d7f34_b.jpg

DSC_0464a by sconehead12, on Flickr

Kleen™

I'm so trying to be open-minded, but those six letters on the dial makes it impossible for me to be unbiased.

sconehead

I'm so trying to be open-minded, but those six letters on the dial makes it impossible for me to be unbiased.

Geneve?