Sign in to follow this  
usudno

Anyone swimming around with a waterproof/resistant PO?

usudno

I'm set on a version 5 42mm. It's going to be a daily beater and will see water. My question is... Other than greasing the gasket on the bezel and crown what else would waterproof this thing. HE has to be of some concern. I've read that the hole on the inside of the watch can be sealed. Does anyone have a PO that they would go for an everyday swim with? I have nowhere to test this thing so I want to pull out all the stops. Thanks guys

jacobarch

HE is faux and I swim with mine all the time. But had mine waterproofed to 5ATM

usudno

I know the HE is fake but its a point of entry into the case. Anyone else with some input??

jeffw69

nope, not enough info on the forum regarding waterproof/resistant, blah, blah, blah. Best start another thread. :picard:

And did you hear that Jacob? he knows HE is fake.

R5tdi

I was thinking the same as I want one to take on holiday to Maldives so mostly snorkelling

I looked on most of the TD for a pumkin ceramic 45.5 Po and they "claim" water resistant to various depth but to be honest I read a lot on the treads here and on rwi and the only real way to be safe is to get one from one of the modders so you are really sure

I even onside red jumping in the pool with one of my current cer Po but in the end I think not worth the risk

I just ordered a ceramic sub from Vac Lume with the full service, lume and gasket sealing etc will be here next week with my big pilot i also ordered from him

Will post some pics when it arrives

Good luck with the search

usudno

Sure there is info on it jeffw. I thought that was obvious in my first post when's said.... I've read aboutnthenhole being filled on the inside of the case HE valve. My question is..... Does anyone have one that they swim around with and are there any other things to consider when waterproofing. I read the how to on waterproofing a PO I'm looking for more info. I must have gone about it the wrong way. Sorry if I stuck a nerve. Jeff.... Do u swim with a PO?

jacobarch

nope, not enough info on the forum regarding waterproof/resistant, blah, blah, blah. Best start another thread. :picard:

:suck:

usudno

Alot of info in this thread.

flyr

I have the 45.5 UPO . I had to seal the HE valve hole from the inside with epoxy . I greased crown seals and case back"O" ring . I also made sure the crystal was pressed correctly. In addition I made a Nalgene bottle pressure tester and tested the watch to 3atm . I have swum with it but I normally use my gen divers for swimming and underwater activities . Pressure Tester

https://www.google.c...rR-_0Gwgk-9UTfg

Jan-mj

Mine is also waterproofed to 5 ATM and I have been into the pool with it. Make sure you let one of the Pros do it for you, though

the deacon

Sure there is info on it jeffw. I thought that was obvious in my first post when's said.... I've read aboutnthenhole being filled on the inside of the case HE valve. My question is..... Does anyone have one that they swim around with and are there any other things to consider when waterproofing. I read the how to on waterproofing a PO I'm looking for more info. I must have gone about it the wrong way. Sorry if I stuck a nerve. Jeff.... Do u swim with a PO?

i have one,done light water duties in it and its been fine!

Olly

The He valve may be fake but it doesn't enter the case completely on the PO that i had (42mm PO Ultimate). I mean that the hole isn't drilled right through the case so it wont allow water into the case. The valve is not functional and will not let water in from that point.

Olly

the deacon

i have ceramic po and carefully listened to everyone saying you must test before swimming so i did,i dropped it in a pint of water for an hour and it was fine!

scorpion

Jeff is far too posh to swim. But if he does enter the water no doubt it will be with his Rolex DSSD. Yep that one is waterproof for sure :giggle:

TBH you are best of with a cheap Seiko or Casio if WR is an issue and you can't test you own PO mods. Still check out that link for webwinds homemade tester, might be useful.

jeffw69

Jeff is far too posh to swim. But if he does enter the water no doubt it will be with his Rolex DSSD. Yep that one is waterproof for sure :giggle:

TBH you are best of with a cheap Seiko or Casio if WR is an issue and you can't test you own PO mods. Still check out that link for webwinds homemade tester, might be useful.

:D wat u talkin 'bout Willis? I swim all the time, just the other day was with my PO.

scorpion

:D wat u talkin 'bout Willis? I swim all the time, just the other day was with my PO.

You is crazy man - you have a DSSD that will go to the bottom of the deepest ocean swimming pool and you choose a POO? :giggle:

usudno

I know this thread is a bit old... but.. what do typical watchsmiths use to test for pressure??? I have a local rep friendly W.S. that does waterproofing and says he tests it. Its a booth in my local mall but i want to see him test it and see what it is tested with. Thanks for any help.

trans_lux

I look at it this way...

Given the nature of a watch its pretty hard for water to enter such a compact area.

Also reps are cheap if one gets wet no big deal get it serviced.

That being said I have never had a rep get wet, though most have had the seals re-greased and some have been tested.

You could always buy a cheap one off the bay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Watch+tester&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R3.TR11.TRC1.A0.XWatch+waterproof&_nkw=watch+waterproof+tester&_sacat=0

Sent from the dark side of the moon

mudman1

<<<<< I wear one of these as my work and mountain biking send the Automatics a bit crazy, but as I am prone to do the occasional silly thing with my PO on it would be good if it at least had the O rings greased, would Vasline be Ok ?

Cryps

Vaseline? Serious? You need a good silicone grease! I'm sure being petroleum based, Vaseline would eat away at the o-ring. I use the same silicone grease as for my diving gear. Never had any problems. I've heard the cheap stuff causes seals to swell though, so don't cheap out. Hope it helps!

Zachthebaker

FACT