Sign in to follow this  
mfreifeld

What is going on here?

mfreifeld

I innocently started looking into reps when I realized I couldn't afford to buy a dozen genuine collector watches. I live near a large high-end jewelry store which carries almost ALL of the collector marques. After browsing for a couple of years, I decided to buy a rep.

Fortunately I decided to look for forums and I'm glad I came across this one. After much deliberation and a leap of faith (backed by the RWG) I bought my first rep in April - a DSSD from BK. Absolutely top notch service and experience.

But now I need your advice on what I can do for this strange mania which has taken hold of me. I've bought 6 additional reps last month and now spend all my time browsing the offering of all the TD's. I'll probably order two more tonight. So far I've spread it around and ordered from a different TD each time. There have been some good and some not so good experiences, but I have never been ripped off by sticking to the TD's and by having reasonable expectations. As they say, if you want gen quality than buy a gen!

Here are some of my latest purchases:8983559976_811dbacf26_c.jpg8983556498_eb3ff44c6b.jpg

So, HELP! What is going on? Do any of you spend aimless hours viewing the TD's offerings, trying to decide what to buy next?

However, we must keep this in perspective. This customs label says it all:

8982366285_044edcf8cd_n.jpg

ellistyle1

Yes.

Prior to Christmas I thought watches were for WWII veterans that didn't have cell phones. I bought a Planet Ocean Chrono rep (now I know that to be a less reputable piece). I began justifying larger and larger purchases, but didn't pull further triggers until the PO needed service. I was watchless once again. One week bare wristed and I decided to buy a less expensive gen but very nice bronze pilot watch AND a cool looking one handed watch (also gen). Earlier this week, a Jaeger LeCoultre arrived at my office. I have a stack of straps I've tried out that haven't made the cut. I've got my eye on two other reps, neither of which are a rolex or pam. That means, I need at least one of each in my possession. In 6 months I've become eaten by the hobby. I'm ill. This place is like the tuberculosis colony where we're free to cough on each other because we're all already infected. I cannot explain why all of the sudden I compulsively need a little machine on my left wrist.

So, what are you ordering?

yawn

The Lange is growing on me...

mfreifeld

I'm looking a lot at the reps of the classic, ultra-high end watches such as A. Lange and VC. This may be blasphemous, but I am not adverse to quartz movements. None of the headaches as with a hand wound or cheap auto movement. I can throw it in a drawer and take it out weeks later and it will be perfectly on the correct time.

Just ordered 3 under $100 watches from Michelle. Will post photos when they arrive.

I may need to order some more tonight....