Sign in to follow this  
arty909

Exploding Panerai crystal...

arty909

Ok I admit, I probably haven't done an adequate search on this topic- Do I remember reading that some rep models crystals simultaneously explode? Today, I totally slammed my new Fiddy into a cramped stall at the office (don't ask), and luckily there was no damage. But, it reminded me of the 'exploding crystal syndrome' topic I came across somewhere... anyone know?

Cheers, Arty

NFleischer

i've heard some PAMs do have that problem, perhaps the fiddy more so than others.

sconehead

Apparently a few have went 'pop' on aeroplanes, something to do with the pressure...explain that one to a flight attendant... :drunksing:

Thrillseeker
Ok I admit, I probably haven't done an adequate search on this topic- Do I remember reading that some rep models crystals simultaneously explode? Today, I totally slammed my new Fiddy into a cramped stall at the office (don't ask), and luckily there was no damage. But, it reminded me of the 'exploding crystal syndrome' topic I came across somewhere... anyone know?

Cheers, Arty

I believe it has to do with non crystal.....glass....mineral....that kind of stuff. Real sapphire doesnt have the explosion problem. Also....the Pam 1950 is the largest culpret of the exploding crystal.

JohnG
Ok I admit, I probably haven't done an adequate search on this topic- Do I remember reading that some rep models crystals simultaneously explode?

Simultaneously? Or spontaneously?

Cause if they explode simultaneously, I would like to see a video of that...

:popcorn:

arty909

Damn, I always mix those two words up!

onzenuub

Don't do it when your wife is around

JohnG

Don't do it when your wife is around

explode simultaneously?

AllergyDoc

I remember reading about this on RWI in 2007 when I started on the watch fora, but I can't recall seeing another thread on exploding crystals since. Seems like the problem was fixed.

JohnG
I remember reading about this on RWI in 2007 when I started on the watch fora, but I can't recall seeing another thread on exploding crystals since. Seems like the problem was fixed.

Yeah, they all exploded.

Simultaneously.

RolexAddict
Apparently a few have went 'pop' on aeroplanes, something to do with the pressure...explain that one to a flight attendant... :o

If you unscrew and pull the crown before takeoff you will balance the watch case inside pressure with the aircraft cabin pressure :lol:

graman

The 127 (Fiddy) was the biggest problem, as it is domed.

The nature of the domed crystal means it is quite thin as the dome rises from the bezel, and this will be subject to great pressure if not fitted evenly.

Mineral Crystal will shatter around the rim when under pressure if not fitted evenly.

I read up on it when my son dropped my fiddy on the bathroom floor.

Some would to spontaneously on aircraft, or in people's watch boxes when the humidity and weather was erratic.

Only 1 way to fix this problem.

Davidsen's sapphire crystal.

I have one in my fiddy, but it needs AR. No problems with it since....

Got it fitted at my local watch maker (it nearly killed him) but it's holding up extremely well.

Once a sapphire is in there, you won't have any issue.

alphakazi
Apparently a few have went 'pop' on aeroplanes, something to do with the pressure...explain that one to a flight attendant... :groucho:

If you unscrew and pull the crown before takeoff you will balance the watch case inside pressure with the aircraft cabin pressure :offtopic:

you should ensure the crown stays open or your fiddy might implode back on the ground :groucho:

RolexAddict
Apparently a few have went 'pop' on aeroplanes, something to do with the pressure...explain that one to a flight attendant... :groucho:

If you unscrew and pull the crown before takeoff you will balance the watch case inside pressure with the aircraft cabin pressure :offtopic:

you should ensure the crown stays open or your fiddy might implode back on the ground :groucho:

:groucho:

Seriously,

Nothing will happen to a watch in a aircraft, except for a very bad one

greg_r
:offtopic:

Seriously,

Is that a very bad watch or a very bad aircraft? :groucho:

JohnG
:lol:

Seriously,

Is that a very bad watch or a very bad aircraft? :lol:

Both.

Cabin pressure varies VERY SLIGHTLY from atmospheric pressure at sea-level. The cabin on a jetliner is pressurized, though not to full atmospheric pressure.

It a watch fucks up under those conditions, it isn't worth having. If someone is that worried about it, then get a Davidsen crystal like Kazi said.

alphakazi
:lol:

Seriously,

Is that a very bad watch or a very bad aircraft? :lol:

Both.

Cabin pressure varies VERY SLIGHTLY from atmospheric pressure at sea-level. The cabin on a jetliner is pressurized, though not to full atmospheric pressure.

It a watch fucks up under those conditions, it isn't worth having. If someone is that worried about it, then get a Davidsen crystal like Kazi said.

Graman suggested the Davidsen crystal (I'd hate to steal his most deserving credit on that one John ;) ) - but joking aside, I believe there could be more planes flying in the sky that are not pressurized - how many small planes fly past 10,000'? idk... I do know you need O2 at that point.

At sea level the pressure is about 15psi and @ 20,000' it's about 8.5psi- many GA pilots will fly at FL200 (20,000') in their turbo mooney, columbia or what have you with just an O2 mask - the question would be... would (15psi - 8.5psi) = 6.5psi pressure differential pop a crystal? imagine a 6.5lbs weight hanging from the crystal.. I'd say the crystal is about 1sq inch...

I believe a jet airliners computer will start to pressurize the cabin @ 7 or 8,000' and hold it there - I don't think it could hold sea level pressure past FL400 (40,000') without ripping the fuselage - the plane would need to be reinforced making it too heavy to fly...

so at 8000' "cabin altitude", the cabin pressure would be 11.6psi giving you a pressure differential of 3.4psi

so if I'm right... you can expect up to 6.5psi in an unpressurized plane and 3.4psi in an airliner pulling on the crystal... generally speaking... and without using the "RA crown maneuver"

interesting topic I may add.... RA? Dems? JOHN?? (our newest pilot) some insight for the student pilot here? I'm not flying @ FL200 in an unpressurized aircraft but I'm curious

RolexAddict

I will keep it simple, my books and tables are in the garage, :lol:

normally I was flying with a flight enginer who was in charge to regulate the pressure. Now with the new glass cockpit generation and only 2 pilots in the cockpits everything is automatic, they just push a knob : cabin pressure ON or OFF.

On all jetliners the cabin is "blowed up" to get a 2000-2500 meters (plus or less 8000ft) pressure from FL100 to FL400 or more. This is made with hot air collected from the engine N1 (low press compressor) so this air is free of contaminents like oil and fuel. The air is cooled to a plus or less 20°C and stored in big tanks called "packs". Then this air is used to warm and blow up the cabin. Air conditionning and pressurising a jetliner cabin is the same job

A watch in a jetliner will never be exposed to more than a 2500 meters/8000ft elevation from the see level.

onzenuub

So what you are saying is we must never fly with a flying engineer?

alphakazi

ok cool - so no more than 3.4 psi on the crystal in a jetliner - if that was enough to pop a fiddy, I'm sure other reps would do the same in an unpressurized aircraft with 2x the pressure on the crystal

so the moral of the story is to use the RCM "RolexAddict crown maneuver" on any flight to be safe :thumbsup:

if the watch has been water proofed, wouldn't the seal flex with the pressure and possible rupture? come on RA, you must know this without a shadow of a doubt :Whistle:

onzenuub
ok cool - so no more than 3.4 psi on the crystal in a jetliner - if that was enough to pop a fiddy, I'm sure other reps would do the same in an unpressurized aircraft with 2x the pressure on the crystal

so the moral of the story is to use the RCM "RolexAddict crown maneuver" on any flight to be safe :thumbsup:

if the watch has been water proofed, wouldn't the seal flex with the pressure and possible rupture? come on RA, you must know this without a shadow of a doubt :Whistle:

Are you flying through the water Alpha???

alphakazi

naw, just chilling in the forums - you?

onzenuub
naw, just chilling in the forums - you?

yep.

RolexAddict

:drunksing:

Any watch, rep or gen, with a correct glued - or stacked cristal/plexi/sapphire with the appropriate ring - , a greased (marine grease+teflon) case back gasket, plus a good stacked crown tube, plus a checked crown o rings and threats and all well greased,

etc.etc.

Your watch should be good for swimm or fly, (right now, I am asking myself where is the flying problem)

stop the masturbation about so little details,

its just a watch.

Wear it well Sir ! (Josh, Chinese Bible Chapter 001/2009)

:)

Edited by RolexAddict

onzenuub

Stay on topic please, don't start talking about masturbating now. :drunksing: