Sign in to follow this  
watchgeek1

Aftermarket sub bezel insert 'shootout'

Vonlichtenstein

Thanks for taking the time to share!

Very useful read!

J!m

I am guessing everyone is looking at the current crop of subs (with sapphire on the bezel insert) and comparing it here.

What I am more interested in is the earlier versions- say 1985 and up when theyfirst went to sapphire crystals. At that time the pearl was still plastic and I am curious how these measure up to those gen inserts.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

jeffw69

WHY...?????? :itchyandscratchy:

Why Indeed?

According to Freud,

If parents are too strict or begin toilet training too early, Freud believed that an

anal-retentive personality

develops in which the individual is stringent, orderly, rigid and obsessive.

HeavyKrush

Why Indeed?

According to Freud,

If parents are too strict or begin toilet training too early, Freud believed that an

That or they end up with an LV fetish... Tis true.

jeffw69

Why Indeed?

According to Freud,

That or they end up with an LV fetish... Tis true.

:rofl:

watchgeek1

SSTEEL - other way round I guess, i.e. taking the Clark pearl and putting it into the OF insert. But I'm not going to do that because of the size issues with TC's bezel. I'm too much of a cheap skate to buy a bezel on top of everything else.

Man, I really want that sub to arrive.

I don't have any info on older inserts, I'm just focused on the 16610 inserts because that's what I'm getting.

And is for the "why" questions... I'm just giving back to the community! It's also fun to see the variations in these parts. I expected to get at least a couple that were the same (i.e. someone resold something from somewhere else) but no, they're all different...

If you want to see someone with a true obsession, and you haven't been there already, check out TC's blog :)http://blog.tc-sub.com/

Amit

A couple photos of a gen just pulled off the web. Not sure what rolex model exactly....

bd00565e0f5fa301a25015eb79ee8537_zps26719304.jpg

Swiss pube?

johnnoblin

I bought a gen insert, I'm just afraid of trying to fit it.

SSTEEL

SSTEEL - other way round I guess, i.e. taking the Clark pearl and putting it into the OF insert. But I'm not going to do that because of the size issues with TC's bezel. I'm too much of a cheap skate to buy a bezel on top of everything else.

Man, I really want that sub to arrive.

Cheers, me too man!

Savi

Excellent comparisons, thanks for taking the time to do this for us, it's much appreciated.

This definitely needs to be stickied!

Edited by Savi

watchgeek1

Thanks... Could not resist purchasing another insert... Another update to come but will probably be in a couple of weeks as I have a lot of travel for work coming up.

J!m

What make is the new addition?

watchgeek1

jandkwatches on ebay - was put on a TC sub recently and fit well

SB56667

+1 on the call for the sticky! Thanks for the time and effort...I've been lazily trying to do this comparison myself, and you just saved me hours! :thumbsup:

Jan-mj

thx for sharing this!

J!m

Eager to see the new comparison on these... I think a TC is on the horizon for me.

I realized if I buy a less expensive one, I will spend more than the TC cost to get it up to par. So, it just makes sense.

I may have to go gen on the insert just because the watch deserves it, but if there is a more economical option (because I kill the inserts) then I'm all for it!

watchgeek1

There's a good discussion in the TC forum about gen inserts and whether they fit the LV sub or not. There isn't a clear conclusion on what the issue is, could be manufacturing variance for example, or maybe the gen LV insert is slightly smaller than the regular 16610. But you can always buy an aftermarket bezel that will take the 16610 gen insert and a few people are doing that.

I'm going to measure the bezel on mine when it arrives but TC says it will be a little while yet. :)

But my biggest anticipation is for TC's insert... Can't wait to see how that turns out...

SSTEEL

But my biggest anticipation is for TC's insert... Can't wait to see how that turns out...

Likewise, from what I hear its pretty darn spot on.

watchgeek1

The J&K insert turned up today. And my wife said "what have you got another one for?" :)

Anyway, here's a teaser - the pearl is quite good (lume not so much) but the paint job is bit all over the place in terms of centering.

jk_zpsab9a3bf7.jpg

About to go on some business travel, so I'll do a proper comparison when I get back at the end of next week.

watchgeek1

diegosaenz

Excellent watchgeek! you are truly a geek, looking forward to your new comparison.

Jeff K

Great review! :)

johnnoblin

LV J&K insert fits without any sort of press or sanding needed, I was able to literally snap it in with my fingers the way TC does it in his video. I ordered the LN (black) insert as well but it had a defect with the pearl where the lume was uneven and not applied in one corner.

Edited by johnnoblin

presence00

Clark vs J&K, with the intent to shove a watchmaterial pearl in... any suggestions? Danke!

johnnoblin

LN Insert from J&K does not properly fit in the TC LV case. Interior diameter is not large enough, bezel will not turn. Also, nearly impossible to get back off again.

presence00

Thanks. I have a clark in the way to try

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2