Sign in to follow this  
baxter

Hearing some bad news from china

daeffy

Fuck man, I've been here for a few months and still haven't bought one rep yet. I hope I still have the opportunity :(

What keeps you here...the sophisticated discourse!? :rofl:

James.
Maybe it's a nipple clamp down?

Pics to illustrate?

NSFW :(

Lev

Fuck man, I've been here for a few months and still haven't bought one rep yet. I hope I still have the opportunity :(

What keeps you here...the sophisticated discourse!? :rofl:

Actually I find the company (on a cyber level) to be quite pleasant. I like many others find watches very calming. Looking at them, talking about them is very meditative and therapeutic for me. I've just been waiting for some funds to come in and reading, reading, reading, something people don't seem to do enough here. I've finally found out what watches suit me and which don't. Patience is a virtue my friend!

Baldrick
All will be fine

NO........ALL WILL NOT BE FINE.

There is a concerted effort throughput the ASEAN region to rein in counterfeiting...........Bangkok dealers are not carrying large stocks...they are not carrying high value 7750 type watches........they are not ordering stuff from China, because it's being confiscated. .....it's not just watches.......it's ALL counterfeit goods.......the Thai Government has set up a NEW agency to specifically target dealers......there is no more buying back the stock that was seized........they have implemented a new RICO act that allows seizure of cars / houses / monies. .......dealers are running scared and have been since the early part of the year........and it doesn't look like ending any time soon..........I currently have approximately 6-7 watches on order and the answer is always the same......'no hab'.

This is NOT business as usual. .......it's a SIGNIFICANT change from usual, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :B):

Lev

If Luth finds it important enough to mention, I'd suggest believing him. Goddamn, I shouldn't have waited so bloody long! Fuuuuuuuuuck

SeptemberSun

M2M section will get more interesting, that's for sure!

I agree with LG. It's like during prohibition, so they cracked one illegal distillery, big deal...

daeffy

I want the watches I sold on M2M back now...Sav where's the Ploppy, mate? :D

Baldrick
so they cracked one illegal distillery, big deal...

This is the classic example of dumb ignorance......."big deal"........you should all listen to this nugget he's right at the cutting edge.....on the cusp......pity it's the cusp of stupidity !

Tits McGee
All will be fine

There is a concerted effort throughput the ASEAN region to rein in counterfeiting...........Bangkok dealers are not carrying large stocks...they are not carrying high value 7750 type watches........they are not ordering stuff from China, because it's being confiscated. .....it's not just watches.......it's ALL counterfeit goods.......the Thai Government has set up a NEW agency to specifically target dealers......there is no more buying back the stock that was seized........they have implemented a new RICO act that allows seizure of cars / houses / monies. .......dealers are running scared and have been since the early part of the year........and it doesn't look like ending any time soon..........I currently have approximately 6-7 watches on order and the answer is always the same......'no hab'.

This is NOT business as usual. .......it's a SIGNIFICANT change from usual, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :B):

Well then I really have the blues:

dr_v

while 27 million in seized goods seems like a lot, this is a multi billion dollar industry, I wouldn't worry too much.

SeptemberSun

This is the classic example of dumb ignorance......."big deal"........you should all listen to this nugget he's right at the cutting edge.....on the cusp......pity it's the cusp of stupidity !

I thought it was a pretty apt metaphor.

Edit: Just read your post above ^ - is all that information publicly available?

James.
All will be fine

Luth knows the China scene better than most, and to have it backed up from Balders Thai, 1st handexperience here... disconcerting to say the least. I may have to now change my collection style from a reasonably well defined small(ish) collection to all out consumer again :(

A little off topic, but I read yesterday that BK has now become the most popular city for tourists, 18mil last year or something. I wonder if the Thai govt is going to change its stance once it figures out it may be biting the hand that feeds it with their crackdowns...

James.

Imagine the furore if that one factory turned out to be the Noob...

:popcorn:

As long as MBK is still open and the stalls there have some good stuff later in the year, i'll be set :D

Tits McGee

How many times do we have to hear this? How many times do we have to get ourselves worked up over this crackdown shit? If there's a way to make money, they will make it. Supply & demand. Very simple. It doesn't matter how much they crack down, our watches will keep being made. Yes. there might be some crackdowns, but a few dollars in the right place will make this whole thing go away for a while. That's business & politics. Never changes.

arancini

Interested to see how this all transpires.

Not convinced either way at this juncture.

Baldrick
this is a multi billion dollar industry,

This is EXACTLY why they want to stamp it out....the various exchequers are NOT getting their pound of flesh and are subsequently trying to eliminate black market economies.....allied to increased pressure from Western Governments and IPRHs....Thailand for example is trying to boost it's credit status.....and is looking for the US to take it off it's WATCH list it has devalued it's currency lately....the GBP rising recently from 43 THB to nearly 48 THB......in less than 10 days......!

As I said....DO NOT LET NOOB NUGGETS tell you otherwise....the sitch is not normal....there's a tectonic shift......and we will feel the consequences down the line....!

yawn

i have heard the new leader is a tough guy, he was the teenager during the cultural revolution of China and they are ruthless and fearless. He had implemented some big stick policies cleaning of corruption in China and seem everyone (riches and high rank officers) are forced to keep low-p in order to survive.

dr_v

I'm a noob sure, but I've been to Thailand six times, Hong King four times, and spent a year in Japan and traveled the area pretty extensively. Unless Thailand has changed by an impossible amount it's hard for me to believe there is any sort of legitimate crackdown going on in Thailand, the place is fucking lawless, it's like the wild west, only thing they really crack down on is drugs.

The far east cares about stealing money out of the wests pocket about as much as I care about what opera is playing in Lincoln Center right now.

Baldrick

So, you're a frackin' 2 week millionaire and suddenly YOU know all about it......I've lived in Thailand on and off since 1986 and permanently since 2003....speak Thai fluently, married to a Thai......not to mention all the trips to China......traveled and done business throughout Laos, Vientiane, Cambodia, Vietnam and having lived and worked in Saitama for 3 years.......and you think you're in the know.

Where are you now?

Cos I'm in my home in Thailand.....90 mins from BKK.....and a 3 baht tel call from at least a dozen of my suppliers....and I'm telling YOU......numbnuts........that the situation HAS changed in Thailand.....regardless of your 2 week forays to Patpong market and Boyztown :B):

Backpacking and renting an apartment on the Khao San Rd and visiting Angkor Wat... doesn't conflate to being an EXPERT on Thailand...or Asia !!!

LightGeek

Yep I definitely see the clamp down in effect...

sezu4eze.jpg

Tits McGee

Corporate America controls our US government. The Chinese system is WAY too corrupt to get legit. If we can't do it, THEY certainly won't. If the Chinese think they can legitimize their business model then we have a lot more to worry about than rep watches.

And by the way....I have a man crush on Baldrick!

Additionally.....there's always Seiko :rofl:

dr_v

So, you're a frackin' 2 week millionaire and suddenly YOU know all about it......I've lived in Thailand on and off since 1986 and permanently since 2003....speak Thai fluently, married to a Thai......not to mention all the trips to China......traveled and done business throughout Laos, Vientiane, Cambodia, Vietnam and having lived and worked in Saitama for 3 years.......and you think you're in the know.

Where are you now?

Cos I'm in my home in Thailand.....90 mins from BKK.....and a 3 baht tel call from at least a dozen of my suppliers....and I'm telling YOU......numbnuts........that the situation HAS changed in Thailand.....regardless of your 2 week forays to Patpong market and Boyztown :B):

Backpacking and renting an apartment on the Khao San Rd and visiting Angkor Wat... doesn't conflate to being an EXPERT on Thailand...or Asia !!!

Middle-aged white man living full time in Thailand? Well I've been there enough to wager a few guesses why... Either way I don't care that you lived there, it doesn't immediately make you "in the know" to the Thai underground. I'll believe it when I can no longer paypal $200 and get a rep of a 30K watch in two weeks, the fact that it is still this easy to buy a rep proves there is no major crackdown.

James.

Where are you now?

Middle-aged white man living full time in Thailand? Well I've been there enough to wager a few guesses why... Either way I don't care that you lived there, it doesn't immediately make you "in the know" to the Thai underground. I'll believe it when I can no longer paypal $200 and get a rep of a 30K watch in two weeks, the fact that it is still this easy to buy a rep proves there is no major crackdown.

That time is fast coming, young Skywalker ;)

RUSH2112

I don't know shit but I have a question. What is the relation of what is happening in Thailand to what is supposedly happening in china?

daeffy

Luthier is full of shit. Check out Josh's response in another thread.