Sign in to follow this  
sconehead

My 6152-1 saga begins

sconehead

Everyone's doing these now, so I'm going to give it a try. Here's some parts I've already acquired, need a couple more but I've got the essentials to start.

Two watches will be built, one on the cheap (Molnija powered) and one with the best bits I can find (Cortebert powered)

Follow me through the trials and tribulations, the highs and lows, the tears and the laughter as I walk down the road following the footsteps where only the vintage masters have feared to tread before me...

Bullshit, I'll be asking for your advice and opinions all the way... hopefully, if I ever complete them that is, all of us can use this thread as a reference for this type of build...:D

4589357763_808ee81278_b.jpg

greg_r

*settles down to watch*

:D

Fiddo

Is ready as well........... :D:D;)

JoeyB

'Are we there yet...?' :D

KBH

What's a 6152-1?

sconehead
What's a 6152-1?

phillistine...:D

PICT0024.jpg

sconehead

First chapter: Case choices and modding.

I’m currently planning on using a Tat/Jackson fiddy case and a rep RXW MM20 case

I’m still not sure whether or not to get a DSN case set, I think they run you about $180ish which isn’t cheap.

Remember though, you get a plexi, CG and case back included in that price, I had to pay for the plexi separately ($30) and fork out 55 euro for an Okabum CG (mind you, ‘tis a thing of beauty and the most accurate out there as we speak)

First up, modding the fiddy case.

Remove the crystal, you can use a crystal press if you wish but I just popped it out with my thumbs.

Then, remove the bezel. For this you need two pieces of wood (I stole a clothes peg off a passing gypsy, cursed for life I be) a brass punch and a small hammer. The pics explain the procedure; a light tap on the punch with the hammer is enough to do the job.

DSCF0250.jpg

DSCF0248.jpg

DSCF0251.jpg

DSCF0252.jpg

Next up, making the case look vintage.

I basically tried to round off all the sharp edges on this Jackson case, beat it up a bit using a bit of brick and an old stainless steel knife and then rubbed the whole case and bezel over with light wet and dry paper.

2010_05080029.jpg

2010_05080030.jpg

2010_05080049.jpg

2010_05080052.jpg

2010_05080055.jpg

2010_05080063.jpg

2010_05080032.jpg

After 5-6 hrs work from removing the crystal, I ended up with this, polishing tuto will follow when I get more time to upload the pics...:D

4589554011_ac956afa24_b.jpg

Edit: remember this is a thread were I welcome any tips or methods to make me do this better. So any of you vintage Pam experts/modders wish to speak up, please do so...

graman
:D

scope

Way to go Scone, I will be following in your footsteps next. Right now i have the movements in the mail. Did you think of Nightwatch doing the engraving on the

Mov movement?

okabum

wow, it looks promising. case looks very good. Just need refining lugs, must be little close. I always use diamond files, are very useful and you can achieve a great control. also I use dremel always I can, all is faster. With dremel I use silicon-carbide burrs, sand and polish at same time. problem is because you use almost one in each case.

glad you like my CG.

gen case for comparision

View4.jpg

Edited by okabum

sconehead
Way to go Scone, I will be following in your footsteps next. Right now i have the movements in the mail. Did you think of Nightwatch doing the engraving on the

Mov movement?

Maybe later, I can always remove the bridges after I've completed the two watches. To be honest, I didn't think the case modding would take so long. I'm thinking the RXW will get reshaped slightly but maybe I'll let it vintage on the wrist...;)

wow, it looks promising. case looks very good. Just need refining lugs, must be little close. I always use diamond files, are very useful and you can achieve a great control. also I use dremel always I can, all is faster. With dremel I use silicon-carbide burrs, sand and polish at same time. problem is because you use almost one in each case.

glad you like my CG.

gen case for comparision

View4.jpg

Pablo, thanks for speaking up. I used a diamond nail file, 320 and 400 grit wet and dry as I didn't want to take too much off at once. I used a dremel and white rouge for polishing, I didn't over polish to achieve a more 'rugged and well used' look.

You've mentioned the lugs, can you use microsoft paint or something to mark where needs fileing on my pic? It would help me and for future reference, the thread...:lol:

okabum
Pablo, thanks for speaking up. I used a diamond nail file, 320 and 400 grit wet and dry as I didn't want to take too much off at once. I used a dremel and white rouge for polishing, I didn't over polish to achieve a more 'rugged and well used' look.

You've mentioned the lugs, can you use microsoft paint or something to mark where needs fileing on my pic? It would help me and for future reference, the thread...:lol:

I don´t know exact word, but your lugs are actually little fat,

try to find white dialux for polish, you´ll amaze how good it is.

View4-1.jpg

sconehead

Thanks P. I'll study some pics and decide how much to take from the inner and outer side of each lug. I'll check out that polish as well...:lol:

PatronSaintofChainsaws

What's the crystal diameter on the Cartel RXW case? Do you have any side profile pics?

:lol:

sconehead
What's the crystal diameter on the Cartel RXW case? Do you have any side profile pics?

:lol:

RXW case has same diameter but the rehaut is deeper so I may have to lap the plexi side wall down. I can confirm that the RXW caseback has a different internal diameter but this won't matter as I've had it turned on a lathe to remove the stamping (4 thou off) and it looks more than passable to me...;)

edit:I'll do some detailed pics when I mod the case...personally, I think it's closer than the hommage ones but I'll let all of you make your minds up on it...

cybee

Great project you have going scone...can't wait to watch as it unfolds. :lol:

scope

What kind of strap is that? I'm still looking around.

sconehead
What kind of strap is that? I'm still looking around.

Bob Bean custom made it for me from that gen pic...good isn't he...:lol:

ebzen02

Hey scone..If you ever need to practice your craft on a watch I can send you my getat case to sand and polish..lol!!

GC

ok, I brought my paper and pencil and am ready to be schooled...

thanks for allowing me to look over your shoulder while you do this (is this too close?)

bob bean

The 6152-1 was and still is my grail.

Subscribed to this thread I am! Watch out Gordon, the simian has opposable thumbs.

KinCaidk

:bounce:

Can't wait to see the finished watch... hurry up, monkey!

dingle
:drool:

+1

............and who's house will this watch be going too?......:Whistle:

KinCaidk
:drool:

+1

............and who's house will this watch be going too?......:Whistle:

He better be sending it my way! :Whistle:

if not - he should sleep with one eye open (and the receiver of the watch too) :drool:

greg_r

Of course, once he's got a nice cortebert-powered 6152, he won't be needing that vintage-style Radiomir... :drool:

:Whistle: