Sign in to follow this  
PatronSaintofChainsaws

Playing around with Illustrator this weekend

PatronSaintofChainsaws

I started digging back into Illustrator on Friday after not having touched it for several months, watched about an hour worth of tutorial videos, then banged this out:

busy.jpg

Basically I found the best head-on shot of a vintage Rolex/Panerai service dial that I could (along with several other dials), chopped it to size in Photoshop, then imported it into Illustrator and used it as a template. I manually created the paths for the two different types of indices from the original dial (tricky since the original dial has an inner-shadow on the indices and it's a slightly convoluted process to recreate in Illustrator), then did a rotate-copy to get all my indices created in perfect alignment.

Picture003-2.jpg

After I got it to a point where I was happy with it, which took a couple of attempts, I printed it out on paper, glued it to a dial base, and sprayed some matte clear coat over it. I'm not really going to use this dial for anything, but I do have a couple of dial designs that I want to create sterile versions of for future projects, so I figured that this would be good practice.

What do you think? Perhaps I'll make a tutorial when time permits.

Fiddo

Looks very interetsing with much potential. That test dial you have would look pretty good with some vintage treatment.

lildaddym

One could use inDesign, too...and you wouldn't have to convert your Illustrator file.

Looks very interetsing with much potential. That test dial you have would look pretty good with some vintage treatment.

toomanywatches

Looks good...would work as both a sausage or sandwich dial.

greg_r
One could use inDesign, too...and you wouldn't have to convert your Illustrator file.

lildaddym: InDesign isn't really suitable for this kinda thing - the drawing tools are rather basic and it would be a whole heap of trouble getting everything to line up accurately. Trust me - I spend a good part of my working life in Illustrator and InDesign... Illustrator for drawing - InDesign for assembling pre-constructed elements into a printed page. Horses for courses.

Nice work, M! :bounce:

KBH

Have you tried and decal paper? Seems like the way to go.