Sign in to follow this  
KBH

The "What is it?" thread

KBH

I have no idea about this. Manufactured by C. E. Marshall.

DSCN4194.jpg

DSCN4196.jpg

houndoggie

ball vice.

KBH
ball vice.

If you mean ball like in nutsack, it wouldn't even fit the monkeys balls. ;)

onzenuub

I know what it is, only I say nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooothing.

sconehead

The jewelled jaws and levelling system are a dead giveaway...think harder dammit!!!

Luthier

Maybe "some" monkeys has microscopic balls?

:D

sconehead

Tssssssssssssssssssk Luth, just found this in my photo album...a blast from the past...:D

RWGUNI.jpg

OHMYGODITSAPANERAI

Oh, I know.

Its a balance wheel poising tool.

I have a very similar one by a different maker.

Never used it, never even knew how exactly it works. But it is labeled as a poising tool.

Edited by OHMYGODITSAPANERAI

KBH

Sounds like we have another winner this time. Now somebody explain how it works.

And congrats to Onze on his degree. I'm sure it took many years of study.

OHMYGODITSAPANERAI
Sounds like we have another winner this time. Now somebody explain how it works.

And congrats to Onze on his degree. I'm sure it took many years of study.

I have no idea how it works. I bought it at a garage sale about 3 years ago with some antique glass mini-oil lamps. The seller said that they had belonged to his father who was a watchmaker. They have sat on a shelf ever since.

Well, you motivated me to look it up.

A poising tool, along with a truing calipers is essential whenever you do replace a balance staff. Once you have cut out the old balance staff in your lathe and then staked in the new one, you'll usually find that your balance wheel is now out of flat and maybe out of round too. You use your truing calipers to restore it to to being perfectly round and perfectly flat--or at least a near as you can make it.

Then you put you balance resting on top of the two sapphire jaws, and spin it along the jaws to see where it stops. There are different ways to get it to spin. the way I was taught was to gently scrape the threads with a piece of peg wood until the balance starts rolling on the jaws. Once it starts rolling, you carefully observe and mark (with a water soluble felt tip pen. You NEVER scratch the balance with a pointed tool) and do this enough times to observe where the heavy (or light) spots are on the balance. Then using your balance screw under cutters and your balance screw washers, you carefully adjust the screws by under cutting them or adding balance washers until the balance is perfectly poised, that is to say, that all parts of the balance have equal weight and the balance wheel is perfectly balanced.

Anyone who has ever balanced an automobile wheel will recognize in a larger scale the process of balancing a wheel here. It's a lot smaller and more delicate with a balance.

Currently, balance wheels do not have screws and posing them is not very easy. Occasionally you'll see balances that have been under cut to poise them, but current practice with screw less balances is to replace the complete balance rather than doing a staff job.

KBH

Excellent! It all makes sense now. I also have a whole set of balance washers.