Sign in to follow this  
donquixote

When/How Often to Service a Rep?

donquixote

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to this, and I was curious how frequently you service a perfectly functioning rep. If you want the thing to last a long time, do you recommend taking it in once you get it, just to get it looked over/ set up? And over the course of its life, would I be right in assuming about 5 years is a good time to service it?

In your experience, do watch repair guys tend to frown upon, or refuse even, to work on a rep? I feel a little hesitant to walk into a well-reputed, Rolex-certified etc. repair place and hand them a rep....

Thanks in advance for your advice/ knowledge. I've learned a ton by browsing through RWG and have just ordered my first, a PAM 386 from Kuvarsit -- I'll post pictures when it's here!

greg_r

Service it when it needs it

Some watchsmiths will work on reps, but many won't. DO NOT go into a mainstream Rolex-certified place - you want a small independent. We do have watchsmiths on the board, so depending where you are, that may be your best option.

ShadyManc

Have a chat with your local watchsmith. Ask politely if they have any moral or business objection to working on reps, the worst they can say is "no thanks". Be aware though that a service may cost you more than you're expecting, circa £100-£150 in the UK. Add to that any new parts required, you may be looking at a price near-as-damn-it the price of a brand new replacement, and a potentially better replacement that has evolved in terms of overall accuracy compared to the gen.

I'm following the instructions on here for post-delivery checks, making sure all screws are tight, removing any dirt, hair or other nasties and then wearing, safe in the knowledge I've done all I could to minimise avoidable disasters. I will have the keepers serviced accordingly, after probably going the Franken route with them in any case, the larger the investment the more a service makes sense IMHO.

I'm also a novice, so I'm sticking with Ultimate reps for the minute, I don't have the experience to know what I'm looking at with any certainty. I will make mistakes, I will learn from them, and I'll get more experienced. This site is great for learning, search, search, and more searching is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

trailboss99

Depends on the movement mate.

If it's a 21j run it 'till it dies and have it replaced (with a clone ETA if the correct hands are available, another 21j if not.). The same could be said of clone MVTs (ie: Chinese ETAs) as the cost of one is still about the same or a bit less than a service but if it's a Swiss MVT or a 7750 it will pay to have it serviced. For Swiss a service around five years or so is about right and for a A7750 that gets a fair amount of use I'd plan on a service after a couple of years at most if you want it to last. Lubrication on these can be sparse at best or non existent at worst therefore a prompt service is a necessity to get a decent life from one.

donquixote

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it.

I did a little searching and found that 10:10 Watch Repair is based in LA, where I live, so I'll just use them!

I looked around for the post-delivery checks info you mentioned, Chubby, but couldn't find it -- might you know the link for that? I have no experience fixing, or even opening, a watch though, so I think I'll just take my reps in for a quick check-up as they arrive.

Kleen™

Just rip open the caseback right after receiving your rep and fill to the the brim with Castrol F1 10w-50. Slam caseback back on and you're sortid for the next 5 years.

On second thought: Don't!

:-)

mitchbaria

don't fix it unless it's broken.... except in the case of chronos, and that's a different beast entirely in reps...

sms

I really like the chronos but I've had a lot of them quit. It's usually not too expensive to get fixed though, So far at least, using Chris. My local independent store charges about double what Chris does and they look down their nose at me when I bring one in. All in all it works out better to ship it to Chris rather than take it locally for me. I did buy an expensive piece of jewelry for my wife from them a while back so they've been nicer, but their watches are ridiculously expensive, also close to double online prices, and they are limited in what they sell. I've bought two gen 7750s so far and I can have a rep fixed many many times for the cost of one. There is a ton of difference but only so as you will notice. No one else will know how fast and precisely it snaps back to 12!

ag69

Great question!! I wanted to know besides doing what is in this link, http://www.rwgboard....opic=17441&st=0, is there anything else I should do when I first get an A7750 or A7753 movement watch? I'm looking to purchase the more high end watches from one of the TD's on this forum. Thanks and this forum is very addictive. It's the first website I go to when I get home from work!!