Sign in to follow this  
tdubt

Age / generational watch considerations

tdubt

Interested in your thoughts on how age and generation influence the appropriateness of a watch brand and style.

And I have wondered the age of many members here ad I try to comprehend their preferences in a watch.

For instance, it seems the more distinguished members lean against hublot and breitling. And toward maybe a datejust more than a younger member might.

I happen to be 33 and for me trying any rolex other than a sub or sd feels out of place.

I guess to start off the discussion I will offer two topics:

1) the watches I wish fit my style but don't : rolex DD or DJ. Senator 60s even. I struggle with radiomir Pam but have one and swear I can dress right and pull it off.

2) watches that fit my particular style that may not generally be appreciated: hublot plat. breitling skyland avenger in pvd looks really my style. GF said of all watches I have she would pick that one for me if having to choose just one.

How do you think your own career and persona or are are influencing your watch tastes?

TW

Member X

I think it's only natural to pick watches that reflect your taste and personality - are they not just men's jewellery that happens to have a function as well, in the end? :)

I try to aim for 'discreet' stuff that doesn't necessarily shout 'look at me' but is classy when it is noticed (I'm going to try to get some DJs into my collection when I have some money), or stuff that is a bit bigger I tend to keep plain and simple - B&R BR01-92 homages, SOH v2 non chrono, sterile DSSD homage.

I can't be one of these people that have cluttered dials and flashy 'look at me' watches!

I guess that reflects who I am, really :) Keep quiet and under the radar and only get noticed by those who have the time and intelligence to really notice me and who I am ;) :P

(That said, I am thinking about getting something luminous like a G-Shock for those days when I'm feeling in-form and outgoing lol)

Career-wise I'm lucky enough to not be in a job where I really have to worry very often about having a nice watch spotted, so I can dress to please me and not others :rolleyes:

Age-wise I'm the wrong side of 30 B) lol

Luthier

I don't think age has something to do with watch choice.

I know many 60+ y/old people wearing PAMs, and I know many youngsters, who wear Rolleys.

My choice depend on my mood and on the occasion - I'll never wear Breit, if I'm going to the opera theater, and I'll never wear Senator on the beach or if I'm going out for the drunk party.

Dress watch is a dress watch, and sporty watch is a sporty watch. Different styles.

sconehead

I've been wearing my BCE all weekend, forgot just how nice a watch it is. I feel it's more of a 'dress' watch but have been wearing it with short sleeves and jeans. You know what, I've clocked more people looking at it than any other watch I've worn in a while. Not bling but shiney enough and big enough to get noticed. Classy too and can be worn by all ages imo...

tdubt

Yes these comments are exactly what I was wondering about. How much does status or age or situation dictate what we wear. It seems more situational than anything.

Fiddo
Interested in your thoughts on how age and generation influence the appropriateness of a watch brand and style.

And I have wondered the age of many members here ad I try to comprehend their preferences in a watch.

For instance, it seems the more distinguished members lean against hublot and breitling. And toward maybe a datejust more than a younger member might.

I happen to be 33 and for me trying any rolex other than a sub or sd feels out of place.

I guess to start off the discussion I will offer two topics:

1) the watches I wish fit my style but don't : rolex DD or DJ. Senator 60s even. I struggle with radiomir Pam but have one and swear I can dress right and pull it off.

2) watches that fit my particular style that may not generally be appreciated: hublot plat. breitling skyland avenger in pvd looks really my style. GF said of all watches I have she would pick that one for me if having to choose just one.

How do you think your own career and persona or are are influencing your watch tastes?

TW

Well, I'm a little bit over 40.........46 :) I frequently wear Panerai. (They have big dials and numbers....easier to see. :) ) I am also a big fan of the vintage Rolex models especially the vintage Daytona. Never been too much of a fan of Hublot or Breitling, though.

I usually wear the watch that I want to wear. I don't usually let the situation dictate which watch to wear.

rc42

I think of Pams as being for people that are so old that their eyesight has almost completely gone, Rolex sport models are a young mans watch and the Rolex dress watches are for middle-aged to approaching retirement types. Funny how the stereotypes stick in your mind and are very hard to shift, even when you have an extensive collection of watches.

I've been wearing my BCE for the last couple of weeks, its a two tone with black dial and roman numerals and still has that 'new' shine to it, not as bling as some watches but its getting there, againit feels like a young to middle-aged watch but I can't really say why