Sign in to follow this  
TheSav

Polished Scratches from my 204 :)

TheSav

My Pam 204 Wempe had pretty bad scratches from the previous owner around the lug screws. As can be seen here -

huna5ase_zps8d788cec.jpg

It bugged me for a while so I decided to try and polish them out. This is the result -

DSC_0741_zps43e83881.jpg

Came out pretty bloody good I reckon. There are still a few very small scratches that I cannot get out but it looks a damn site better than it did.

I started with some 1000 grit sandpaper as I didn't want to start off too coarse and end up damaging the case. What I did was cut strips and taped them around match heads so that I could get into the small areas and do the fine work. After a bit of hard work and about 40 minutes most of the scratches were gone.

There was a noticeable difference in the polished areas of the case though. So i took out some 2500 grit and went all over the case with the same match head technique. I then polished it all up with my dremel and some red polish.

Overall I am pretty happy with the result and will try my hand at some of the scratches on my other watches now. :)

Next time I'll take pis while I am doing it for anyone that is keen to do the same.

Guyute

That is pretty anal. :lol:

Nonetheless, excellent job!

watch.aholic

Looks much better now.....Honestly I can't live with those many scratches on my watch....Obviously it takes a lot of skill and experience to take up this kind of a job.....Good on you for doing it on your own....

1littlegreen

Don't think you know the significance of this watch......

Great job Sav

Guyute

Don't think you know the significance of this watch......

Great job Sav

You would be correct. I'm just saying that scratches on the underside would not faze me no matter the watch.

I do understand wanting things to be pristine, be they cars, guitars, watches or girlfriends, but anything that gets used starts to show signs of wear Nd I guess I've learned to live with that. Well, except for the girlfriends. ;)

TheSav

Might not matter to you guyute but I like all my belongings to look their best and I look after them as such. Cars, bikes, watches and girlfriends. :)

SSTEEL

Congrats mate, makes all the difference, and looks like you did well, and achieved what you set out to do too.

I recently noticed some marks on my polished end links on my Carrera, and used Cape Cod to polish them up, and was surprised at the colour/dirt that was left of the Cape Cod just after a few minutes.

Guyute
Might not matter to you guyute but I like all my belongings to look their best and I look after them as such. Cars, bikes, watches and girlfriends. :)

I can understand that. Wasn't my intention to offend. ;)

I usually buy used stuff because I don't want to be the first person to mark up a new product. :lol:

James.

Well done. Now just learn to waterproof reps to 100mtrs and service movements and we'll have ourselves that elusive aussie watch modder!

TheSav

Don't forget about super luming :)

Pharmo

wow, that's stunning results mate :)

hmmmm............I think I need to start learning how do these things...

onionbag

A good job there Sav.................now, to stop it happening again(not that you'd be so careless)..............when changing the strap, cover the screws with Scotch tape, this has the double benefit of protecting the case and holding the screws in place so they don't drop out.

TheSav

That is a good tip Onion and exactly what I did when putting the new screws in. Gotta say, I won't be changing straps as often on this as my luminor pams.

nev848

Agree with Onionbag I use electrical tape and saved many of my watches.

Looks and excellent there Sav and transforms the watch. What did the previous owned use a hammer and chisel?

onionbag

Yes, Sconey.........I apologise for omitting that this is known as 'The Sconehead Method'.

sconehead

Yes, Sconey.........I apologise for omitting that this is known as 'The Sconehead Method'.

nope...monkey method...:lol:

Chrisby

Great job TheSav, it looks almost new again. It's good that people like you do these tutorials because for people like me who'd just take a metal file to the case it can save the embarrassment of then having a...

Look what I just did to the case of my PAM111...

Thanks!

Edited by Chrisby

TheSav

It's far from being a tutorial Chrisby. However, next time I will take pics and make notes a long the way so as to post some proper info. I just wanted to show that it is possible and not so difficult. If a noob like me can do it I'm pretty sure anyone can.

JohnPilot

Good job Chris. Now you should do the finepolishing with a dremel an some polisghing compound.

I have great results with Dialux.

TheSav

I did use the dremel and some red compound. Next time I will strip the case and do it properly. This was just a lazy Sunday afternoon job with beer in hand :)

Hazz

Nicely done, sent all mine to you for the same treatment ;)

TheSav
Nicely done, sent all mine to you for the same treatment ;)

And I can guarantee that they will receive the treatment. I just can't guarantee that you'll get them back :)

greg_r

Nice work, mate :)

Frenchbully

I think it looks much better...great job.