Sign in to follow this  
J4ymo

Tag Carrera replica problem

J4ymo

Hey - new guy in need of help!

Picked up a replica Tag Heuer Carrera recently as a present. Unfortunately it has an intermittent problem where by the second hand at the bottom will usually between say 11 and 12.30 catch on the bottom of the hour hand.

I say intermittent as this wont happen every time and can go days left on the side with no problems.

Do you think this would be a relatively easy fix? No idea who to take it too tho! (Uk based here)

Any help or advice greatly appreciated

James

SSTEEL

Hi James,

Where did your Carrera come from?

Repair could be easy enough for a watchsmith to sort out, as it sounds like the hands just need homing on the pinions fully.

Edited by SSTEEL

J4ymo

Thanks for your reply

Not sure where I stand with regards taking a replica to get fixed - obviously I wouldn't take it to an authorised dealer but assume any local watch place would be ok?

I got the watch on a holiday to Turkey - seemed to be a lot of rubbish out there but picked up, what looked to me at least, two decent reps.

Having now found this site it looks like I maybe expanding my collection further!

SSTEEL

Ah I see, do you know if its a 21J movement, or is the chronograph functional? What model Carrera is it, and how much it cost you? Curious as we are off to Turkey this week :)

As to getting yours fixed, best find out first if your local watch shop is rep friendly, but failing that, if you are in the UK, I can recommend Alex from UK Watch Services

J4ymo

Thanks for replying

To be honest the Carrera was purchased as a present for my brother so chose it purely on the one I thought he'd prefer - as such I'm not sure exactly which Carrera. Photo hopefully follows:

image.jpg[/url]

It cost me £80 - no idea if I paid over the top but liked the look and knew he would so done deal. Looked decent rep to my unknowledged eye. (sure you guys will point out the obvious if not!) Just wish I'd worn it and realised whilst in turkey as it was fine in the box - return home last week and first day he has it the stuck second hand rears its head! Always the way.

Will have to venture into the town and see if a local shop will touch it - hope so - if not will keep Alex in mind!

Cheers

J4ymo

And the chronograph is functional - missed that bit!!

SSTEEL

Looks like you have a Quartz model with chronograph. A quick way to tell, is start the chronograph, and watch the large chrono hand, if it ticks, tick, tick, its Quartz, if smooth, automatic, but going by the sec@6, and the sub-dial spacing, I would say its a quartz for sure.

I'm guessing the case back is not a display case back too?

This is what your rep Carrera is mimicking..(note the Automatic wording on the gen, Chronometre on yours). £80 is a little steep for your rep. £40 tops is more like it.

9295393314_e244046df0_b.jpg

Edited by SSTEEL

Heisenberg

I'm pretty sure that is a quartz based on subdial spacing and the fact it's a chrono as well.

SSTEEL

Yup, 100% Quartz, posted a photo of a gen above mate.

Edited by SSTEEL

Aren

I'm pretty sure that is a quartz based on subdial spacing and the fact it's a chrono as well.

Agreed...Quartz with that sub-dial configuration.

Wriggles

Yep, Quartz. Subdial a dead give away.

To be fair SSTEEL, most of the quartz models come in and around the 100$ mark plus shipping from most TD's , so I'd say closer to 70quid than 40 quid so in fact the 80 paid isn't probably too bad considering the fact you see before you buy and haven't the wait and customs risks.

Then again can't tell what the build/material quality is like from a picture :Thinking:

J4ymo

Well if it works again then he's happy with it so that's all that matters. Seems like decent build quality to me but I'm new to this game.

Now I've found this forum i'll have a better idea when it comes to treat myself next time!

Now to see if a local watch repairer will be able to fix the sticking second hand.

J4ymo

Took it to the local watchsmith - said he had no problem working on a replica watch - then explained the problem and apparently it's not something he could fix.

Does anyone have the details of Alex from UK Watch services?

Cheers

Pharmo
Took it to the local watchsmith - said he had no problem working on a replica watch - then explained the problem and apparently it's not something he could fix.

Does anyone have the details of Alex from UK Watch services?

Cheers

This is the email for alex mate

[email protected]