J!m

New project started... Omega Seamaster 300 date

J!m

well, I have a lot of parts inbound right now. :help3:

Today I got the case- I can get a Gen case ($1,300.00) but I have a replica case for now. If I hit a lot of 'snags' I will have to bite the bullet, because this project is worth it! The new case has a new reference number, and the rep case has the same new reference number (166.0324)!

Lets start with the movement- I have a genuine Omega caliber 565 movement on the way (actually a complete 60's-era watch with original sales papers with a recent service) It is a shame to sacrifice a complete watch to the Horology Gods, but it must be done.

Dial: Also Genuine. It is the slightly less rare "12" dial, as opposed to the super-rare "large triangle" dial, but regardless, it is super-cool, and of course, perfect. The literal grand-daddy of my Planet Ocean.

Date wheel: Genuine. Black with white numbers. White with black numbers is also 'correct'. I have seen both ways, but prefer the look of the black.

Hands: Genuine. White seconds hand and all.

Crown: Genuine. I may use the rep one that comes on the case (ugly by the way- the logo is way too big) but if the gen fits the case threads, I will use the correct one.

Crystal: Genuine, with Omega logo. The rep crystal has no logo on it, but I might want to save the gen crystal for the gen case. Then again, maybe not.

Bracelet: Not yet. I can get the correct gen bracelet (and end links) for this watch, and I am inclined to do that. Most go with the shark mesh (which I also like) but I wanted it to be a bit more unique than that. I have plenty of "NATO" bracelets to use in the mean time...

The rep case has the complete bezel assembly installed. 120-click uni-directional and correct looking 'square' grip edge. Bezel insert does not glow at all, so I may see about removing it and adding lume to the back side where needed... And I may not.

A complete gen bezel assembly is available for this watch still ($460), but not a lone insert. I have no idea if the rep case will accept a gen bezel assembly, and tearing up a gen $460 bezel seems, well, stupid. If you know (or now someone who does) please let me know.

No pics yet. This has been in the planing stages for months and it is finally coming together! I'll post some pictures in future posts.

Edited by J!m

scorpion

Sorry but.....................

2 NO PICS.jpg

LightGeek

Remember to keep a running total of how much this runs!

conx

Sounds great. I have a couple of omega projects on the go at the moment as well.

Keep us informed.

J!m

Thanks for the links!

I'm building the same, boring old watch they did.

I did notice the case they have (which I assume is the 166.0324) has the crown guards integrated into the case design on the crown side.

On mine, the case is almost perfectly symmetrical, with only a slight bulge to the case line to protect the crown. The crown has a small counter-bore to set it flush against the case.

I have to study the old case photos I have to determine if this case I have is worth investing a lot of time and money (like my 5517 case) to get it 'better', because the current replacement case may be arguably a "better" case design, I would prefer to have a late 60's design to the case, and if this case is closer, I will try to make it a perfect representation of the early case design.

Case back cover is high on my short list- even if I go with a gen case, it has the 166.0324 number on it. My information indicates the 166.024, 166.0024 and 166.0324 case backs are interchangeable. I hope that is true, as a loose case back can cost more than a rep Sub!

Anyway, I'm back to completing another project. I made up a kit bash: Explorer dial (3-6-9 no date) applied marker dial with PloProf hands, and a couple markers fell off. The vendor provided another dial with painted markers, but they look like applied pieces of lume... Very sharp and well defined! Lume is strong as well.

Anyway, I have a pile of parts in front of me I need to make into a watch...

J!m

And the fist photos start making their way into the thread...

The case:

SM300Project002.jpg

The donor watch: (note original sales slip and warranty booklet!)

SM300Project001.jpg

Under the hood:

SM300Project003.jpg

Free at last!

SM300Project004.jpg

I found a movement ring in the UK that might work... Correct OD, and supossedly Genuine Omega part... We'll see...

None of the other parts have arrived yet.

I will need a new stem (this is too short) and movement case clamps, which I have found... But how do I determine the correct diameter and pitch on the clamp screws???

Monty010

Definitely pinning this thread to my list!! cant wait to see the progress. good luck mate!!

J!m

Mini-update:

I cannot find a stem, so I'm trying to match one visually... I may have to buy quite a few before I get one that works correctly. ($$$)

I am also going to try my AD now, to see if they can get me one from Omega, as well as (correct) case clamp screws. I don't know if they have always used the same thread for case clamp screws, and if not, how I would be able to tell what fits and what doesn't... I was hoping to get the clamp screws at least, but the watch that donated does not use clamps, so no screws.

I'm pretty sure the movement ring will work. Based on my calculations, the ring needs to be 31.5mm OD and 28.4mm ID, so the "wall" thickness will be ~1.55mm, which looks about right in the picture. Fingers crossed...

Case clamps (if they go direct from the movement to the case slot) will need to be at least 3.5mm from hole center to end of clamp, or 4.5mm overall length. I could probably get some generic Eta clamps (the long ones) and double them up for more stiffness, but I'd like to get it all Omega as far as I can. If I camp the movement ring and movement separately, I have more lee-way; however I would have to tap the ring, and that will not be easy. I think it is a 1mm tap diameter for the screws.

Isn't this fun?

gran

interesting

Pharmo

Very nice mate! I will be keeping a close on your progress as well :)

J!m

Project now on hold- I discovered the case is not correct.

The dial will not sit properly in this case, so I will have to save up and get a genuine case...

Also on the hunt for the correct bracelet if anyone see one:

1098 bracelet with 547 end pieces.

Sorry for the premature excitement- no one is more dissapointed than I am... :noway:

J!m

UPDATE!

I got bored and put the movement together.

Changed the date wheel, installed the dial and hands.

It is so nice when all the parts line up and work perfectly!

Pics, including a lume shot... Can't beat OEM Omega lume!

SM300build001.jpg

SM300build002.jpg

J!m

Another update:

I have the correct case clamps and case clamp screws. I think the movement ring will not be needed with the correct case, but time will tell. I also got new winding stems (550 and 563 cal- this is a 565 cal movement), gen crown,gen 633 end links (to use with the 1171 bracelet) and a gen crystal I won't need if I get a new case.

Still need to move on the rep case as it does not fit. Do I really have to build it into a unique watch just to sell it????

J!m

Resurrecting this old thread of mine.

I need a case still. If anyone has a gen case they bought when OFrei, Cousin's and WatchCo had them, I'm interested. Lots of interesting parts available for trade, as well as PayPal.

I have another (better dimensions) rep case I purchased which accepts the gen case back and (probably) crystal with a proper crystal installation tool. It is a complete case other than a crown. The gen crown I have does not fit; however, Omega used two different crowns each with their own tube. So, the crown I don't have may fit this case perfectly.

Anyway, let me know if you have something, or know someone who has something. I'd like to finally finish this thing after so long (and get it off my bench!!!)