Sign in to follow this  
kev-waver

Looking for a good Portuguese Chronograph Rep

kev-waver

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a Portuguese Chronograph in stainless steel with black alligator leather strap. Anyone selling this? Please advise.

Thanks.

houndoggie

Just about any dealer can get you one. Problem is that the movement is garbage if you get the 7750. They do make quartz versions that are reliable.

graman

Yep...you can get them from Mary, Robert, Josh......but beware!

when you buy one, you'll need to take it straight to a watch maker who knows what he's doing with reps (pm Col) for a graphite treatment.

Don't run it...just do that...then you can run it when you get it back.

If you don't do this, you'll end up with an expensive paperweight.....Seconds @6 are very unreliable and must have this treatment to work.

Good luck.

macak011

when you buy one, you'll need to take it straight to a watch maker who knows what he's doing with reps (pm Col) for a graphite treatment.

If you don't do this, you'll end up with an expensive paperweight.....Seconds @6 are very unreliable and must have this treatment to work.

Good luck.

May I ask all of you if anyone knows can any of the trusted dealers here in RWG do that "graphite treatment" (or already did?) prior to shipment with extra cost? I do not have any watchsmith here who can do that or knows the reps at all... Personally I have never even tried to open the case myself... ;)

Is it ok to ask the dealer if he can do that?

thnx a lot for answering

rgds,

Marko.

Mary Watch

Good luck.

Sorry, what's "graphite treatment", i don't know it, please explain me, i will check if i can do it, thank you!!

prestigewatchco

Not a watch you should buy period it makes the Daytona at 6 seem ultra reliable it really is a problematic watch even after you have spent $150+ on graphite treatment it's only a temporary solution . Just a bad rep that is best avoided I have not sold one in 2 years for this reason

If you have just got to own one save your money and buy the Concepter version with gen movement dial and hands

macak011

Hi all,

trailboss knows:

"Yes, There are two companies that produce a clone of the ETA 7750 MVT in China.

These are the Liaoning Watch Factory and Shanghai Watch.

The Liaoning is usually a 21,600 MVT and the early ones were ticking time bombs with massive reliability issues. Of late the quality has improved greatly.

The Shanghai comes in either 21,600 or 28,800 beat and can be identified by a cloverleaf-shaped shockproofing device. This MVT also features Shanghai's

patented 5 jewel auto wing clutch, an improvement on the ETA clutch.

While both are now relativity reliable MVTs the lower grades can be quite dirty and usually come dry so a service early in the piece is recommended to ensure long

service life. This is the MVT used in the chrono Panerai homages by people such as Getat Watch and also in the better grades of non chrono hand wind sec@9 varieties of Pam homages from the same sources.

The biggest issue with these is when the extra module is added to move the seconds from 9 to 6 to mimic the layout of the Daytona or to 12 like some IWC watches. This module has recently undergone an improvement but is still poorly designed (it is the product of an unknown 3rd party and is not made by either company). It places a considerable extra load on the drive train of the MVT and can result in early failure. The best way to prevent this if you must have one is to do a graphite treatment on the gears in the module or have then DLC or Teflon coated. The best advice is to stay away from sec@6 variants of the A7750 entirely tho.

The latest chrono MVTs from China are a variation of the A7750 to mimic the closer subdial spacing found in the Omega co-axial MVTs such as found in Speedies and SeaMaster chronos. The reliability of this MVT is still an unknown factor. There is also word of a clone 7733 coming out but as yet nothing is known about this MVT. It may be a true clone or it may just be a variation of the base A7750.

The Sea-Gull ST19 is built on the equipment purchased in the 60's from the Venus Watch Company when Tianjin Watch Factory bought the rights to the Venus 175.

It is a modified version of the 175 and is bullet proof as are most products of Sea-Gull/Tianjin. It is a true column-wheel chronograph and is available in several dial layouts and a skeleton version. Although I am yet to see one it is also now available as an auto rather than the traditional hand wind.

The only other Asian chrono MVT I am aware of is the (in)famous "Mystery Movement" used by David Wong in his homage (and replica) vintage Daytonas.

The origins of this MVT are indeed a complete mystery to all and very possibly even to David himself. This is one MVT I would not touch with a ten foot barge pole.

If you want A DW 'tona homage get the a7750 version with the auto wing module removed as it is far more reliable. Don't forget tho, the golden rule with any 7750 (clone or gen ETA) is hand winding should be slow and careful. In addition of cause to the fact that setting the date within 3 hours either side of midnight is a quick way to destroy the MVT.

Whilst retail supply of the ST19 is thin or non existent the A7750 is available from Otto Frei in the US or Cousins UK as well as the Quartz Movement Centre in Melbourne, Australia. Parts on the other hand are impossible to obtain (unlike the non chrono ETA clones a lot of parts are not interchangeable) and most watch

smiths are loath to work on one due to this and the sometimes fragile nature of the MVT. There are however a cpl of US and EU based 'smiths who will work on them if needed and they have a supply of SH parts if required. PM me if you need contact details, these guys are good and equally good at working on non China MVTs.

Hope that helps.

Col."

you can find it on:

http://www.pmwf.com/Phorum/read.php?54,239953,244092